Quests From The Infinite Staircase

D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Here's what I'd like to see:

1. I3: Pharaoh (including the others is probably a stretch)
2. C2: The Ghost Tower of Inverness
3. S4: The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth (along with The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun)
4. D1-3/Q1: Descent in the Depths of the Earth/Tua-Koa/Vault of the Drow/Queen of the Demonweb Pits.
5. I1: Dwellers of the Forbidden City
6. The Whispering Cairn

These would also provide a good spread of challenges for PCs from 1st-13th or so.
You know, if ever there was a product that would actually be good to buy in a boxed set with multiple books in it like Spelljammer/Planescape, it would be those series. Stop giving us settings like that and start putting out module series in that format.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
why not just give us one book with these like they do now, it’s essentially the same page count but for $20 or $30 less…
I like the idea of having three separate hardcover modules for say I3, I4 and I5. I'd buy a single book with those, but having them separate in a special case appeals to me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I like the idea of having three separate hardcover modules for say I3, I4 and I5. I'd buy a single book with those, but having them separate in a special case appeals to me.
The one Adventure book from Spelljammrr/Planescape is as big ad three of those though...

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The one Adventure book from Spelljammrr/Planescape is as big ad three of those though...
Yes, but I dislike the boxed set format for settings. I don't want adventures in my setting stuff. Sell me those separately. I also don't mind paying a bit extra to get them in three books. Not that I wouldn't buy it if they released it in one book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, but I dislike the boxed set format for settings. I don't want adventures in my setting stuff. Sell me those separately. I also don't mind paying a bit extra to get them in three books. Not that I wouldn't buy it if they released it in one book.
No, I mean that tge "small" Adventure book is those sets is already tge size of I3-5.

I’d certainly love to see Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun included alongside Tsojcanth.
The thing about Forgotten Temple is it's an entertaining read, thanks to Gygax's "and then the player dies horribly mua ha ha" evil DM prose style, and some impressive descriptive text. But take that away, as would happen in a rewrite, and you are left with not very much. A building with monsters in it and no plot. My experience is it doesn't play very well. When I ran it (circa 1984) there was a mass battle between the monsters an the PCs on the bridge and the gate of the temple, which the players eventually won. Then they were left with a bunch of empty rooms to search. They never found the cist, since they had no reason to suspect it existed. "Okay, building is clear of monsters, mission accomplished, let's go home".

I'm convinced that the adventures in this book will be linked together by a planar theme, in the same way that Ghosts of Saltmarsh was connected by the nautical theme. So:

Tsojcanth is included as an Iconic Greyhawk adventure (with a connection to poster-girl Tasha). Barrier Peaks might be included as a crossover with a completely different (Metamorphosis Alpha) game universe. The Village of Hommlet could go in representing Mystara and Shadows of the Last War for Eberron. Gates of Firestorm Peak introduced the Far Realms. For Dragonlance, DL1 could inserted with a bit of time travel "history has been changed and the Heroes of the Lance didn't find the floppy disks of Mishakal, we need a bunch of planer travellers to travel back and recover them".

Would also be a good fit: Castle Amber.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm convinced that the adventures in this book will be linked together by a planar theme, in the same way that Ghosts of Saltmarsh was connected by the nautical theme
I think the previous 3 anthologies might be a better guide on what to expect from the framing device than Saltmarsh: Candlekeep, Radiant Citadel, and Keys from the Golden Vault all provide a quest giving organization to justify and ground the series of otherwise unrelated Advebtures, and Candlekeep and Radiant Citadel provide the titular home base. We seem to have a quest giving super-NPV in the genie, and a hoke base in the Infinite Staircase. I wouldn't expect too much more beyond that, other than the Advebtures being structurally similar to Taojcanth and Barrier Peaks perhaps.

I think the previous 3 anthologies might be a better guide on what to expect from the framing device than Saltmarsh: Candlekeep, Radiant Citadel, and Keys from the Golden Vault all provide a quest giving organization to justify and ground the series of otherwise unrelated Advebtures, and Candlekeep and Radiant Citadel provide the titular home base. We seem to have a quest giving super-NPV in the genie, and a hoke base in the Infinite Staircase. I wouldn't expect too much more beyond that, other than the Advebtures being structurally similar to Taojcanth and Barrier Peaks perhaps.
Candlekeep, Radient Citadel and Keys were even more strongly themed than GoS! Themes were: books; stories from non-European cultures; and heists, respectively. The only anthology book without a theme was Yawning Portal.

The intro says "The Infinite Staircase holds doors leading to fantastic realms." Now, you could argue that all D&D realms are fantastic, but in that case, it wouldn't be worth mentioning as specific to this book!

Last edited:

Remove ads