• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Quick (dumb) question about feat qualifications

Pazu

First Post
I think there was a consensus ruling on this, but I can't find it anywhere.

Can a character take a feat at the same level that he meets the prerequisites for it? For instance (and I know this is a clumsy example), suppose a fighter1/monk1 takes a level of paladin for his 3rd character level. Can he take Ascetic Knight as his 3rd level feat?

Thanks!

Nail

First Post
When you go up a level, the order of operations is important. You select your class first, then feats. So by the time you've selected the feat, you have the prerequisites (like Smite Evil for Ascetic Knight).

Pazu

First Post
Thanks! I kind of figured it was okay, but...

Nail said:
When you go up a level, the order of operations is important. You select your class first, then feats. So by the time you've selected the feat, you have the prerequisites (like Smite Evil for Ascetic Knight).

Amusingly, if you look in the PHB, "Class Features" is actually listed last in the level-up benefit order.

Nail

First Post
You're looking at page 59, right? Although class features are listed last, you get them by being a level of a certain class. Once you have picked that level ("If your character has more than one class or wants to acquire a new class, you choose which class goes up one level...."), you have all of the benefits associated with a level of the class.

For example:

"Can a 4th level Ftr take the Weapon Specialization feat (given he already has Weapon Focus)?"

RigaMortus2

First Post
Feats have a stipulation that states you can take them at the level you meet the prereqs, even if you meet the prereqs after the "select a feat" part of leveling up.

Nail

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Feats have a stipulation that states you can take them at the level you meet the prereqs, even if you meet the prereqs after the "select a feat" part of leveling up.
True!

PH 3.5e p. 87 said:
A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she
gains the prerequisite.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
PH 3.5e p. 87 said:
A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she
gains the prerequisite.

Wait a minute. So this means that feats ignore the order of operations? How does that work, exactly? Do you check to see if the feat meets its prerequisites after you've finished leveling up?

I'm wondering if, under some circumstances, you could take a feat that uses itself to satisfy its prerequisites. Or two feats, A and B, where A is the prerequisite for B and B is the prerequisite for A.

Musrum

First Post
Energy Subtitution would fulfil part of its prerequisits (any metamagic feat).
Delay Spell , Chain Spell...

Battle Caster: None -> Light ; meets the prereq...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads