• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Racism, sexism, homophobia, jerkism

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But I don't think this CAN change overnight, and attempts to instantly eradicate various forms of ass-hatedness are doomed to failure. Which does not mean that trying to change things are pointless - but expecting quick results means you'll be disappointed.

And the change has to come from both sides- victims AND victimizers.

Earlier this year, an elderly American politician who is black mentioned that he still crosses the street when he sees white women approaching him. He's not anti-white, he is just still living in the days of his youth when he could get beaten or arrested if he didn't do that.

And I was just at a conferences where one of my fellow attendees talked about how he didn't see any difference in the race relations in the USA of his youth (the 1960s) and today. Certainly, there is still need for improvement, but NO change? My personal experience tells me otherwise. I have experienced racism, but my experiences are the decaf version of what my own family talks about.

But until that politician and my colleague pass away, they will be stuck in their own perceptual prisons.

Starfox

Hero
Maybe online social venues like ENworld and other special-interest forums can help push for change? You do get quite close in what was once called the global village, and yet you have no idea of each others' ethnicity, age, or even gender. Personally, I tend to think everyone is more or less like me, and sometimes get a little surprised when it shows people are not - but surprised in a good way.

I was going to mention Facebook, but on second thought I don't think that's a good example - that has a lot of pictures and RL references. It is more for keeping in touch with old friends that finding new ones, at least for me.

Starfox

Hero

In the first clip, I loved the interview with Rob Harris when he says something like "Its nice to see more women in games, particularly at expos and such" and two lady gamers walk out the door in the background - probably a coincidence, but it illustrates his words so just-on-time ^^. (At 5:20 running time)

Watching that is an exception for me - I find video clips much harder to "get into" and absorb than text. It does help to get facial expressions and a little bit of context with the words, tough. It just feels to time-inefficent to watch a video tough.

Starfox

Hero
About sexism in role-playing settings... Now this is going to be a bit complicated to talk about...

I find that male players like to explore sexism, playing female characters. It is escapism for them, acting out a role and exploring the consequences. For such a player, having the characters gender not matter is a big letdown, almost a breach of social contract. These players are interested in playing out genders stereotypes and romantic encounters, but also in reacting to in-game prejudice. Often these characters are played clumsily or over-sexed, or try to use their gender as a weapon, but my feeling is that this is done more to explore gender roles than because these players are sexist or think that this is how real women are. I can still see that playing such over-sexed characters is insulting to women and would discourage it if I feel other players are discomforted. Actually, it is generally self-censored.

Many women players, on the other hand, have experienced sexism and clumsy flirting firsthand in real life. It is not something they want to explore in a game. It is not escapism for them. Rather, the lack of prejudice is escapism, an enjoyable escape from a sexist reality. For such a player, having gender matter is a breach of the implicit social contract. They generally play female characters but pretty much want to be treated as if they were non-gendered. They are not in the least interested in in-game romantic encounters and absolutely hate being prejudiced against in-game, regardless of whether such prejudice would make sense for the setting or not.

To sum things up, male and female players playing female characters are not looking for the same things.

Of course these are just trends, they are not all-encompassing. There are exceptions of both genders. Men playing characters of both genders without sexualizing them at all, and (more rarely) women playing to gender stereotypes for either sex. But I've encountered it often enough to feel it is real and recurring. Have others experienced this?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It just feels to time-inefficent to watch a video tough.

Complete off-topic aside.

The written word is a wonderous thing. But, let us be clear - it is the lowest baud rate form of communication available to humans.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Dannyalcatraz said:
Earlier this year, an elderly American politician who is black mentioned that he still crosses the street when he sees white women approaching him. He's not anti-white, he is just still living in the days of his youth when he could get beaten or arrested if he didn't do that.
I've heard one or two other politicians make this kind of statement, and I'm suspicious as to the honesty. I mean, to even be in office means they had to personally interact with white people, (including, surely, white women), and then get the majority of their votes from white people. Saying they still feel serious prejudice to the level of having segregation flashbacks to decades ago makes me think they are either delusional or they are pandering.

one of my fellow attendees talked about how he didn't see any difference in the race relations in the USA of his youth (the 1960s) and today. Certainly, there is still need for improvement, but NO change?
Similar situation here. When I hear something like this it makes me think more that the speaker is refusing to accept change than the world around him has accepted change.

From what I've seen in society today, for every person who expresses racism (or sexism or homophobia), there are at least two others who stand against the expression. And that's not counting the numbers who may not speak up but still disagree with the situation. Just like when someone is a bully or jerk. A couple of people may step up, but most others recognize and disapprove of the bad person. Sadly, it may be a case, though, of the picked on individual only noticing the bully/jerk and missing all the others. Later, when talking about the situation, they'll only mention the jerk, forgetting, (if they even noticed), those who defended or shook their heads.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I've heard one or two other politicians make this kind of statement, and I'm suspicious as to the honesty. I mean, to even be in office means they had to personally interact with white people, (including, surely, white women), and then get the majority of their votes from white people. Saying they still feel serious prejudice to the level of having segregation flashbacks to decades ago makes me think they are either delusional or they are pandering.

I don't think so at all. That sort of behavior can be very deeply ingrained and doesn't change easily. Plus, interacting with white voters at a political event or parade or while directly campaigning is different from just walking down the street. They put on the public-facing mask, the personal defenses are up, and they're in politician persona, psychologically ready to meet the public. If they're just walking down the street, they may be a private person again and not girded up to face the public.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
billd91 said:
That sort of behavior can be very deeply ingrained and doesn't change easily.
Yes, I can understand how something one had to live with for a very long time can become ingrained, and feelings or reactions can come up as a knee-jerk flinch. Heck, I've had moments in my 30s and 40s of, "Oh crap, did I do my homework?"

But these stories I've heard are always offered as an example of how racism has affected someone, (perfectly understandable, though sad), but it's never followed up with, "and then I realized I don't have to worry about that anymore." And really, that is the situation. And that's why these stories annoy me -- they don't give society credit for having come up from that crap. These examples are never given to show how good society is now, it's always to show how bad society has been, (with the subtle hint that it still is bad). Sure, we should never forget the bad of the past, but some won't let the bad go and accept that things have gotten much, much better.

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but here's a story of an experience from the 80s:
http://www.totalbullgrit.com/blog/clash-of-cultures/

Bullgrit

Starfox

Hero
they don't give society credit for having come up from that crap. These examples are never given to show how good society is now, it's always to show how bad society has been, (with the subtle hint that it still is bad).

I felt this is just how the story was presented here - as a sad example of people still suffering under prejudices that might not even be around any more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads