Random Geek Media Trivia Thread

MarkB

Legend
While doing some research for a Dresden Files campaign set in Detroit, I found out that Harry Houdini in his latter years had begun a collaboration with H P Lovecraft to write a non-fiction book debunking magic and mysticism - a project that was buried in the wake of Houdini's untimely death following collapsing on stage in Detroit.

Merely a footnote in real-world terms, but a spookily compelling plot hook for a Dresdenverse game.

Shatner, Nimoy, and Doohan were all on the original "The Twilight Zone."

Shatner and Nimoy were also both on separate episodes of "The Outer Limits". In Shatner's episode, he played the first astronaut to travel to Venus in a mission called "Project Vulcan".

Also, it's less coincidental but just as fun, Shatner starred as Alexander the Great alongside Adam West and John Cassavetes in the 1950s. It was a failed pilot that was edited into a TV movie. It's available for free online now. It's not good, but it's highly entertaining.

aco175

Legend
Glenn Close makes an appearance in Hook, dressed as one of the (male) pirates on Captain Hook's ship, as an homage to how many stage productions of Peter Pan had the titular character played by a woman.
I saw this snip about other actors that had cameos as well.

1697749463900.png

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
In the Chinese film Ip Man there's a scene where the titular character confronts a friend of his who is working with the occupying Japanese army, serving as a translator despite being a resident of the town whose citizens are being oppressed.

During the scene, where Ip Man calls his friend a traitor and his friend protests that this is the only way he can feed and protect his family, there's a switch between languages which isn't acknowledged by the subtitles (at least, in the version I was using). As Ip Man's friend is angrily protesting that he's not a traitor, while Ip Man himself walks away in disgust, the last line that his friend yells ("I'm a Chinese man!") is spoken in Japanese, despite the rest of the conversation being in Cantonese.

That he protests his nationality in the language of their oppressors changes the context of the scene, or at least that line, something which seems to be lost to audiences who don't notice the switch.

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
One I like to share with my students when we study "The Great Gatsby":

Before they would be Scott Lang and Mitchell Carson in "Ant-Man," Paul Rudd and Martin Donovan appeared in the 2000 A+E "Great Gatsby" as Nick and Tom Buchanan.

Rudd and Donavan's "Ant-Man" co-star, Cory Stoll (Darren Cross/Yellowjacket/Later MODOK) would appear as Ernest Hemingway in "Midnight in Paris" (another film I use in class) alongside "Gatbsy" author F. Scott Fitzgerald, played by Tom Hiddleston, who we all know as Loki. Loki and Owen Wilson's Agent Mobius show up in "Ant-Man and Wasp: Quantimania."

And, Mobius' actor, Owen Wilson, was the lead in "Midnight in Paris" which also features Wibbly Wobbly Timey Whimey Stuff.

Remove ads