D&D 5E Random Thought Exercise: Help me make the edgiest of edgelords?

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
What do you all think?

Race - Shadar-Kai?
Class: Assassin (Rogue), Hexblade/Fiend Warlock, maybe Undead Warlock? Shadow Sorcerer? Vengeance Paladin, Conquest Paladin? Oathbreaker Paladin? Soulknife? Blood Hunter? Some combination of the above?
Background: Something in which its parents were killed by ninjas. Or demons. Or ninja demons. And THEN it was cursed for all eternity. And then it swore vengeance.

I guess the only really important thing is that it specializes in using a katana. Which is probably a longsword for this exercise. Unless it's a greatsword or something. Or possibly scythe / sickle / scimitar / kusarigama?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited:

J-H

Hero
I needed a couple of edgy NPCs.
One ended up being Raziel, a tiefling Hexblade who cut people with the edge of his angst and edginess (blade pact). He had spiked smoking armor, and was in the middle of writing a book of dark poetry.
The other was Gothica, who dressed in all black and was a necromancer.

Fiend or Undead Warlock for my money. Being jerked around by a demanding patron who inflicts agony for disobedience is right up an edge lord's alley.

Optional Blood Hunter 5 for literally cutting yourself.

Let's go with Shadow Sorcerer/Hexblade Warlock/Assassin Rogue. I just consider a Sorcerer, someone born with intrinsic magical power welling up inside them, pledging fealty to serve some other being intrinsically the most edgy-boy build, and doubly so if that being is an inanimate magic sword. Having it be a Shadow Sorcerer, and then also taking a dip for Assassin just ups the edge factor that much further. And if the pact weapon has finesse not a terrible build. You can finesse a katana, right?

I agree on both Shadar-Kai (or better yet, Hallow One Shadar-Kai) and the Haunted One background (though I also agree it would be best if the backstory incorporated ninjas).

And for the name, I think we borrow the on-the-nosiest name of all time from Star Ocean IV: Edge Maverick.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Sincere Question: Are you trying to do a -traditional- edgelord or the -most- edgelord?

This is an important distinction.

If you're trying for -most-... go for a Barbarian/Berserker. Someone who is moody and hair-flippy, with the katana/scythe/whatever, but 'loses control' and then hates themself for it for some nice additional self-loathing. Still do the family slaughtered, the evil ninja enemies, etc, but add it to a wall of muscle and sinew that can take the beatings they so rightfully deserve for being all edge with no point.

Zardnaar

Legend
Probably a Shadar Kai warlock. Call her raven if female or something hinting at darkness/shadow etc or stick a z or x in name if male. Names like Blade even work.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases