D&D (2024) Ranger playtest discussion

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Incidentally... I do appreciate WotC changing the Barkskin spell. It was my one barest toe dip into the "WOTC MAKES CRAP!" clarion call that so many people love to trumpet year after year and book after book that to see it changed is nice.

Granted... I dunno if anyone is still ever gonna CAST it... but I'm happy to see it adjusted nonetheless. :)

Weiley31

Legend
I hate this ranger. It’s a round-up half caster with all of the non-evocation primal spells, and lost none of its interesting exploration abilities. That’s exactly the opposite of the direction I want to see the ranger move in.
I'd say just keep the Cantrips and the Hunter's Mark. That's about it.

I mean, they really need to get rid of spellcasting.

It's not like most of the things the spells can do fit Rangers thematically or are at all interesting. The vast majority of people who actually play Rangers aren't going to miss them, I'd suggest.

You know what they actually need to do? Bring back Wardens. Spellcasting Rangers should become Wardens, the weird Druid-hybrid class. Spell-less Rangers become Katniss Everdeen and her ilk.
If Ranger lost its spellcasting, I'd want to see a new primal half caster to get added to fill that gap. The alternate 4e class options for a primal themed half caster would be warden, seeker, or shaman.

TheSword

Legend
I hate this ranger. It’s a round-up half caster with all of the non-evocation primal spells, and lost none of its interesting exploration abilities. That’s exactly the opposite of the direction I want to see the ranger move in.
So you want a round down half caster with only evocation wizard spells, and losing all its interesting exploration abilities?

TheSword

Legend
I’m not a fan of cantrips on rangers. To me, rangers rely on skill and training, not magic. Ritual casting would be fine, but the less spellcasting the better, and especially not infinitely-spamable cantrips.
I’m not sure these will be spamable. Or even used in combat in a lot of occasions. They’re flavourful, appropriate and in keeping with the theme.

Druidcraft, Guidance, Mending, Message, Poison Spray, Produce Flame, Resistance, Shillelagh, Spare the Dying, Thorn Whip.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I’m not sure these will be spamable. Or even used in combat in a lot of occasions. They’re flavourful, appropriate and in keeping with the theme.

Druidcraft, Guidance, Mending, Message, Poison Spray, Produce Flame, Resistance, Shillelagh, Spare the Dying, Thorn Whip.
Four of those are combat cantrips, and in my opinion none of the combat ones are on-theme for the Ranger, nor are Druidcraft or Message.

Remove ads