D&D 5E Ranking 1st level spells

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
wrathful smite is a great spell to land then GTFO or focus on defense using dodge and so on. frightened is a nasty status. they can't follow you and the disatavntatge on ablilty checks means they have very little chance of breaking it other than breaking your concentration. not a bad tanking spell all n all.

@ad_hoc Also disadvantage on attack rolls. Means with your high Paladin AC they basically never hit you.

FrogReaver

Also consider prebuffing. Most spells listed cannot be. Bless can be. It's almost too good of a cast if you can prebuff it.

FrogReaver

Hex and Hunter's Mark - The Concentration stops these spells from being S Tier. In the case of Hex it also has the problem of not scaling well on a Warlock. Some extra damage is just not comparable to the huge effect that level 3+ spells have.

1. Hex lasts a very long time when upcast
2. Hex + Eldritch Blast is still often the best single target option a warlock has. (Boring but effective).

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don't think the OP considers the ritual tag at all. Several of the D tier spells are admittidly terrible to cast with a spell slot, but as a ritual are amazing. A few of these in the C tier spells, plus Goodberry is amazing for providing sustenance and filling in missing HP without overhealing (only downside is that it doesn't upcast). Cure Wounds is only a C tier spell assuming the DM allows the infinite purchase of Potions of Healing (which no DM I know does). Find Familiar is only an A tier spell if the DM permits the CharOp shenanigans I've seen bandied about (again, no DM I know would).

I did talk about them at the beginning and they are italicized because of that.

Thoughts:

1. Tasha's hideous laughter is S-tier in my book. It's a 1st-level spell that can remove a target from combat for multiple rounds! Alternatively, you can use it to knock a flying enemy out of the sky (most flyers fall if knocked prone); they get a save with advantage from the falling damage, so the incapacitation probably won't stick, but often the mere fact of putting them in reach of your melee warriors is more than enough to justify the cost. Versatile, potent, and retains its value at high level: That's a good 1st-level spell right there.

I think it is good too. I almost put it in A. It should probably be there. I was just looking over the different 1 target incapacitation spells and trying to weigh out what was an average one for the level.

2. Cause fear is also very potent. Frightened is a powerful debuff, combining direct damage reduction (disadvantage on attacks) with battlefield control (can't move toward you). Not as good as Tasha's, but certainly above average.

It depends on what we're considering average. Can it be not as good as Tasha's but also be above average?

3. Goodberry provides you with a supply of 10 "pick-me-ups" that you can distribute to the entire party, which any PC can use as an action to revive a fallen comrade. They're like turbocharged healer's kits that can actually get people on their feet instead of merely stabilizing them. The PCs in my campaign cast it every day and get plenty of use out of it... and they are 9th level. I'd call it A-tier.

I've just never seen it have much of an impact in a game. I will concede that it is popular which is what is important. Healing Potions do the same thing, getting people on their feet.

Why can't they afford healing potions at 9th level?

I think it is a big mistake to take it on a Ranger who has limited spells known.

4. Hellish rebuke as S-tier? Really? I would not rank any 1st-level direct-damage spell that high, certainly not a single-target spell that does a mere 2d10 damage and requires you to take damage before you can use it. The only thing it has going for it is that it doesn't cost an action, which is not insignificant, but I'd much rather use that reaction (and spell slot) on shield and not take damage in the first place. Shield can stave off a lot more than ~11 damage if used at the right moment, and it can also save your concentration.

It does as much damage as Chromatic Orb but as a Reaction. That is very good. If Hellish Rebuke isn't S Tier then spells like Chromatic Orb can't be higher than C Tier. I think we're getting away from what average is at that point.

Sometimes Shield won't be enough to protect you. As far as what is on your list it's a Warlock spell so it is a bit moot. It is still quite good for a Warlock before 5th level.

I think comparing it to Shield is a mistake. I think it needs to be compared to other damage spells instead.

FrogReaver

Faerie Fire should be a whole tier below bless.

Bless has the following advantages over faerie fire:
1. Bless is a unique effect and stacks with other sources of advantage
2. Bless has no chance to not work
3. Bless does significantly more than affect attacks - it provides a solid boost to saving throws as well
4. Bless can be precast

The only real benefit of the spell worth citing is the -1d4 to saving throws.

I think I have made it abundantly clear, that the real value in Bane is the above.

That said, a minus to Attack roles of an enemy, is always useful, and a nice ribbon to have.
+5 to AC from a Shield spell is made better with the addition of a -1d4 to the enemies attack roll.

Put this way, if a Martial Maneuver allowed you to expend a Superiority Die to give a Bane like (-1d4) Attack modifier against 3 opponents, do you think some Battlemaster players would take it ?

Remove ads