Reach Weapon Build?

Dross

Explorer
Kat' said:
With a HALFLING? You're kidding, right? Trip is Strength- and size-based and does not count BAB or weapon size, so I'd say Halflings are pretty much one of the worse races to use Trip with.

Why would I kid? I never claimed it was a great option, but an option it is none the less. With guisarme and feat you get a +6 sans any other bonus, negating most of the size and STR penalties to a medium sized opponent. In some cases it might be extremely useful.

And as the OP mentioned, he is using it for roleplaying reasons, not the powerup to hurt the other guys. Using the advantage a weapon gives kinda fits that doesn't it?

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've played 2 very effective pole-arm warriors in the past year. The DCv1 and the PHBII are your best friends.

The first was a Githzerai Monk/PsyWar/Lucid Cenobite (from Hyperconscious) with a Bisento (an OA/Rokugan polearm) the Expansion Psionic Power and centered around the feats Combat Expertise & Pole Fighter (from DCv1). With his hideously high dex, he had many AoO's, a high AC and initiative bonus (and was pretty good at ranged combat, too). With the DCv1 feat, he could use his polarm as a Monk weapon, including Flurry. The Expansion power allowed him to boost his damage 1 size class early on, then 2 size classes as he gained XP. The Lucid Cenobite PrCl allowed the PC to continue improving his FoB & other combat critical monk abilities alongside developing his psionics. Damage output was nearly that of the party's single-classed Barbarian...and his superior AC and fighting at reach meant he took less damage (less than a level's worth per encounter).

The second was a Human Ftr4/Monk2/Kensai3. The feat selection was similar, but without the PsyWar, I opted for Monkey Grip and used a Greatspear. The Greatspear is one of the best exotic weapons in the game- 2d6x3P base damage + reach + RI 10'. Aiming for the Kensai build requires some work (you need levels in Ride, Diplomacy, and Concentration, as well as Combat Expertise), but the payoff in the PrCl's inherent ability to increase the power of their weapons cannot be understated. In play, this PC's damage output was higher than the party's single-classed Knight's- her already magical large +3 Greatspear was further enhanced with Flame, Frost & Shock due to her Kensai levels (that's 3d6+3P +1d6Fi + 1d6Fr + 1d6El). A Ftr/Clc should be able to qualify for the PrCl by 5th level or so.

Another key feat for my high-dex pole-fighters was Deft Opportunist- it improves the odds of hitting with an AoO by +4.

"Going Big" was also key. Even without Expansion (or the spell Enlarge) or Monkey Grip (or the racial ability Powerful Build), you can acquire potions of Enlarge or similar magics. Its a cheap trick, but a good one.

It may seem counterintuitive, but the old standby Power Attack/Cleave/Greatcleave tree will work well with a well designed high-dex polearm fighter like the ones above- once those AoOs get triggered by foes entering your wider zone of control, you'll initiate a nice damage cascade. Even if you don't finish off opponents, other warriors in the party will.

In each case, I opted to ignore Short Haft (and similar feats) in favor of Improved Unarmed Combat. With a build like yours, I'd go for Armor Spikes. No feat required. Instead, look for a feat that improves your reach- the DCv1 and the PHBII both have one, as does FR and other sources. Its much better to kill your opponents before they get to you than to worry about them getting in close.

I also agree that you should build upon the strengths of the weapon itself. Guisarmes trip- find a way to make yourself a better tripper.

Last edited:

joshjurg

Explorer
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't a polearm using character equip a spiked gauntlet while using the polearm and thusly threaten all squares, not just the reach ones ?

Thurbane

First Post
joshjurg said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but can't a polearm using character equip a spiked gauntlet while using the polearm and thusly threaten all squares, not just the reach ones ?
I believe so. If not, then armor spikes definitely do.

Whirlwind attack is goos for a reach weapon, but extremely feat intensive.

Darklone

Thurbane said:
I believe so. If not, then armor spikes definitely do.

Whirlwind attack is goos for a reach weapon, but extremely feat intensive.
Depends on the DM. I know some who wouldn't allow it.

werk

First Post
Darklone said:
Depends on the DM. I know some who wouldn't allow it.

Right. You have to be 'fighting that way' and incuring penalties in order to be threatening with the second weapon, gauntlet or spikes. Two weapon fighting.

Darklone

werk said:
Right. You have to be 'fighting that way' and incuring penalties in order to be threatening with the second weapon, gauntlet or spikes. Two weapon fighting.
Yupp. But even then many DMs don't allow TWF with armor spikes and a twohanded weapon because twohanded weapons are the strongest choice of weapons (and the least feat intensive) anyhow... no need to give that style all of the few remaining advantages that TWF fighters still had.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
FAQ on Armor Spikes and Two Handed Weapons

From the official FAQ:

Is a character wielding a two-handed reach weapon (such as a longspear) and wearing spiked armor threatening all squares within 10 feet? Assuming he has Combat Reflexes, can he make an attack of opportunity with his longspear and then with his armor spikes in the same round?

A character wearing spiked armor threatens all squares within his normal reach (5 feet away). If he also wields a longspear, he would also threaten all squares 10 feet away. Any time a character wielding more than one weapon is allowed an attack of opportunity, he may use any weapon that threatens the opponent who has provoked the attack. In this case, imagine an enemy who charged the character and then tried to disarm him. The charge attack would provoke an attack of opportunity from the longspear as the enemy moved out of a threatened square (in order to move adjacent to the character and deliver the charge attack). Then, the disarm attempt would provoke another attack of opportunity (assuming the enemy didn’t have Improved Disarm). This attack of opportunity could be made only with the armor spikes, since the longspear doesn’t threaten an adjacent enemy.

Remove ads