• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reality Shows: Your opinions

Enchantress

First Post
I have caught some eps. of the new reality shows that have taken the U.S. by storm. Ones such as Survivor, Fear Factor, The Bachelor/bachelorette, and Joe Millionaire. But last Monday I found myself watching the new show Mr. Personality, hosted by Monica Lewinsky of all people, and just had to comment about it. In the movie Man on the Moon, Jim Carrie plays Andy Kaufman who says something in the sense of sitcoms being the worst thing to happen to t.v. I think that if he were still alive he would have to change that to reality shows. But that's just my take on it, I'd love to hear yours.:)

John Crichton

First Post
I think they are the scourge of humanity and the devil's work. That said, I have watched every season of Survivor, save the first. I watched every wretched minute of Joe Millionaire and have caught Fear Factor a few times.

The only show that I MUST watch is Survivor. Those bastards hooked me when they showed the season 2 premiere right after the Super Bowl a few years back. I didn't feel like changing the channel and ended up watching it and haven't stopped since. I suggest that if you don't watch any now: STAY AWAY! They are filled with lies, deception and usually bring out the worst parts of our species. They are like a train wreck, you don't want to watch but you just can't look away... :eek:

Jemal

Adventurer
"DRAMA QUEEN?" *Hands on hips, flamboyant pose* "I SEE NO DRAMA QUEENS AROUND HERE, FOR I... I AM A KING!" *Gesturing with hand*

In other news, I've managed to avoid the white-coats for today. Almost had me there with that trail of chocoaltbars leading to the box on a stick, but....

ANYWAYS. I've seen 1 full ep of survivor. I wasn't impressed, but didn't dislike it either. It's the kind of show I'll watch if there's nothing better on. Fear Factor I've seen 2 episodes. I must say that if it were not for the fact that the 2nd portion of every ep is a 'gross-out' thing (I have a weak stomach), I'ld be a dedicated fan. (And yes, I've tried to just skip that part, but I can still hear it, and if I change the channel then I miss most of the show). The only reality show I watched premiere to finale is Big Brother and Big Brother 2. I liked them for some reason. It's like Survivor, but set in a house, so less emphasis on survival and more on making deals, backstabbing, and the other 'fun' parts of humanity.

fba827

Adventurer
I don't watch them intently -- only caught a couple episodes of one or the other here or there.. and even then, only 'cause my brother was watching and i was there.

Admitedly though, they are addictive.. if i start watching one as I walk by, I usually end up needing to watch at least 20 minutes of it.... at first I convince myself I'm watching only to remind myself how how silly it is and yet by the time I check the time it's been 20 or so minutes...

i feel cheap and dirty afterwards and need a shower. :D

but if it wasn't already on the tv scren (courtesy of my brother) I can honestly say I wouldn't even be watching them in the first place.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
My opinion on reality shows? They prove that life imitates art...or maybe that art imitates life...

darn it!

Silver Moon

Adventurer
With one exception I tend to shun them. I have no interest in the dating shows or the let's stick a bunch of strangers together in a house (which is nothing new, as MTV began that show a decade ago).

The one exception in Survivor. It has reasonably good production values, is semi-educational in educating the audience to a remote part of the world, and is a phenomonial experiment in both sociology and organizational behavior. The host is annoying at first, but he grows on you (usually by the 39th day he's the only left who you still half-way like.) The highlight of the current series is the deaf girl, who most of her initial tribe thought was a liability and wanted nothing to do with, but she's now one of the six people still left. She's also about the only one there who is honest and up front.

Remove ads