• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Reasons Why My Interest in 5e is Waning

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'm sorry, wanting more content is a perfectly valid opinion, but posts like this just don't make any sense to me. Wizards has told us EXACTLY what their plans are. They've announced new board games, MMO expansion news, the Sword Coast Legends game and their RPG books for the first half of 2015. We also know there'll be another adventure path in the second half of the year, though it doesn't have an official release date yet. Maybe there'll be another hardcover player's option book or campaign setting book this year as well, but it's too far away to have announced yet.

Now whether you're happy about the type or amount of products they're putting out, the point is, there's no veil of secrecy or lack of communication on their part beyond the standard, sensible desire to not start talking up products too far out from the planned release date.

I guess, I want MORE rpg books, please link me to what their 5e plans are for the next... 6 months? Please! I can't wait to spend my money and all their products! They have .... one adventure yes? Did I miss something if I did , I completely apologize!

Evenglare

Adventurer
I guess, I want MORE rpg books, please link me to what their 5e plans are for the next... 6 months? Please! I can't wait to spend my money and all their products! They have .... one adventure yes? Did I miss something if I did , I completely apologize!
Oh yes the secrecy many of us are referring to are their PDF and plans for community licenses. Can you please link me where they talk about this other than "we're working on it". It's PDFs. Pretty much anyone who is anyone in the RPG industry has PDFs. It's BS that they do not, also guidelines for community to work with their material instead we get issued C and Ds and have to go through the back door with OGL material. Sucks. So i'll be waiting for the link I missed with all this information and where they have told us explicitly what they are doing. Thanks!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I find it highly amusing that almost all complaints I ever see about people losing interest in 5E involve not actually playing the game.

I mean... if people spent a little more time actually playing D&D 5E and less time just waiting for new products... products that there's a good chance they wouldn't actually use anyway, seeing as how they have plenty of product to use for a long-term 5E campaign right now at this moment and they still haven't bothered... they might find their interest piqued a little more.

If you want to keep up your interest in 5E... play in a really good game of 5E with a really good DM. Then all your interest is maintained and focused on the next upcoming session rather than just some unfocused "future" of 5E.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'd like to know more about what WotC are planning on releasing for 5E and I think if they stay silent for too much longer they will have wasted all the eyes that were focused in their direction after the successful launch of 5E. An OGL would be nice, but nothing listed is a major problem from my perspective.

WotC/Hasbro's lack of official communications are probably their biggest failing. It makes people worry, speculate and lose interest. I'm not sure why this is judged to be better than some official communications. You know, keep people informed about their favorite game, make them feel appreciated by keeping them in the loop. Instead we get people who wonder what is the future for 5e and if it is worth their money. Not the best business acumen.

Eirikrautha

First Post
I find it highly amusing that almost all complaints I ever see about people losing interest in 5E involve not actually playing the game.

I mean... if people spent a little more time actually playing D&D 5E and less time just waiting for new products... products that there's a good chance they wouldn't actually use anyway, seeing as how they have plenty of product to use for a long-term 5E campaign right now at this moment and they still haven't bothered... they might find their interest piqued a little more.

If you want to keep up your interest in 5E... play in a really good game of 5E with a really good DM. Then all your interest is maintained and focused on the next upcoming session rather than just some unfocused "future" of 5E.
I was just about to say this. I can understand a person who plans on writing adventures for sale wanting an OGL or moving on to another addition. But playing the game? I play twice a month, have completed LMoP and we've just started HotDQ. It'll be 6-8 months before we are done. What would I do with more "content" even if I had it? And if I am not using the presently published adventures, then why do I need more?

I can sympathize with the OP... even if his complaints confuse me. But the XP chorus is absolutely hilarious. It's almost cult-like...

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I play twice a month tabletop and every day play by post. We have come no where near exhausting the options currently available.

Am I interested in getting psionics? Sure!

Would I like a few more elemental wizard options....neat!

Is my interest in 5e waning because of their release schedule?

Nope.

You are absolutely right in theory, but in practice, if we followed your argument, there would be no need for a fifth edition of D&D. We could still be playing AD&D 1e without any other sourcebook or additional material and we would enjoy it because we are gamers and we forge our own fun through sheer force of will.

Or perhaps getting new material is somehow part of the fun?

Fildrigar

Explorer
Man this crap is getting old.

3e releases, first six months:
PHB
MM
DMG
Sunless Citadel/Forge of Fury/The Speaker in Dreams ( three 32 page adventures, taking a party up to 9th level )
Hero Builder's Guidebook ( A very forgettable splatbook )
Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor ( So bad that I, an admitted FR junkie didn't buy it )
Diablo II tie in: The worsening
Gazetteer ( a 32 page lite version of... )
Living Greyhawk Gazetteer ( 192 page sourcebook for Greyhawk )
Sword and Fist ( Splatbook )
Monsters of Faerun

3.5 releases, first six months
PHB
MM
DMG
Dragonlance campaign setting
Minatures Handbook
Book of Exalted Deeds
Underdark
Draconomicon
Complete Warrior

4.0 releases, first six months
PHB
MM
DMG
Thunderspire Labyrinth/Pyramid of Shadows/King of Trollhaunt Warrens/
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide
Forgotten Realms Players Guide
Adventurer's Vault
Scepter Tower of Spellgard
Draconomicon
Martial Power
Manual of the Planes

Pathfinder releases, first six months ( NOTE: THIS IS POST RELEASE OF THE ACTUAL BOOK, THE PLAYTEST STARTED ALMOST TWO YEARS BEFORE THE FIRST BOOK CAME OUT )
Pathfinder RPG Core rulebook
Pathfinder RPG Beasiary

Someone mentioned Mongoose Traveller.
It looks like the main rulebook released in May of 08.
The next six months brought Book 1 ( Mercenary ) and Book 2 ( High Guard ) ( 152 and 130 pages )

The only company that's released more in six months is Wizards themselves, with 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. They clearly wanted to slow things down a bit.

TL;DR Five hardcover books in six months is far from a "slow release cycle."

You are absolutely right in theory, but in practice, if we followed your argument, there would be no need for a fifth edition of D&D. We could still be playing AD&D 1e without any other sourcebook or additional material and we would enjoy it because we are gamers and we forge our own fun through sheer force of will.

Oh no, the secret's out.

Pathfinder releases, first six months ( NOTE: THIS IS POST RELEASE OF THE ACTUAL BOOK, THE PLAYTEST STARTED ALMOST TWO YEARS BEFORE THE FIRST BOOK CAME OUT )
Pathfinder RPG Core rulebook
Pathfinder RPG Beasiary

Plus:
All six parts of Council of Thieves
Book of the Damned—Volume 1: Princes of Darkness
Seekers of Secrets
Cities of Golarion
Classic Horrors Revisited
Dwarves of Golarion
Cheliax, Empire of Devils
Crypt of the Everflame

And a few more on the border of the six month mark.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads