• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Recruiting Fresh Again!] The Old School: 1e AD&D

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I reread the IC thread this Sunday, and I'm pretty excited about picking it up again. Wanted to find Amirad's voice again :)
Also great that Lidia and Austin shall also be continuing. I am confused as to what is suppose to be going on with that Doman fellow.

My main concern with option 1 would be that getting anywhere with it would take a long time. (Play -by posts seem to be like that:).

Just a rules comment that I noticed, due to Amirad's truly insanely high Dexterity (18)I don't think the rats could have surprised him. Unless they were given a surprise on a 1-4 on a d6 and rolled a 4. Regardless it didn't make a difference in game.

Now how is it that we use this new fangled enworld dice roller?
Cool. that's pretty easy. of course if you want to add comments about the roll you'd have to edit it.

As an aside I have been running a "in real life" game of 1e AD&D for a year now. The previous session the group managed to defeat Lareth the Beautiful of the Moat House. If any of you are curious there is a campaign website. darkageofdarsivia.webs.com
Apparently I can't put links in my signiture now?? Weird.

Last edited:

Thondor

yeah, somethng new, and very annoying.
eh, its not that bad. Seems fairly functional.

Its too bad, I don't seem to have any of the old PMs about our characters (that I seem to remember - my memory is a little foggy). Still most of the ideas came out. Should probably go through the talking the talk thread too to see if there is anything of note.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
To Thondeor, i give my gratus grndum for placing a link to the ic thread in post number 6 of this thread. Mea thankus thou.

Thondor

Well Scott here is my summary of the character background we hashed out so far:

[sblock= House Kalveten and House Harrelsen]
Minor merchant House Kalveten sought to form and alliance with House Harrelsen, hence your mother and my aunt (name? Yolanda) married into House Harrelsen.
"Something" happened and a rift between the families occurred. This occurred about 8 years ago. (You were 16, I was 10).
Your parents died after that (we established that in game).

House Kalveten:
(Uncle) Thomas Kalveten, Head of House Kalveten, wife deceased in childbirth (Margery), never remarried. Recently injured by bandits.
Three sons (our cousins): Argos (eldest- set to take over the business), Darren (soldier posted off in some conflict area), Normec (priest of Solinar)
Two daughters: married off

Radigos Kalveten (my father, deceased when I was 9)
Karina Kalveten (my mother)
Sons: Gregory (deceased when I was 6, from disease), Amirad (me), Kydon (younger brother now 14)
Daughters: Angela

(Uncle) Pranon Kalveten – priest of Solinar, some position and reputation. Celibate

It was determined that I would assume a military role to replace my father.

House Harrelsen

Yolanda Harrelsen (Formerly of house Kalveten) - Deceased
______ Harrelsen (your father) - Deceased
Sons: Austin (you), others?
Daughters: ?

now to keep the feud interesting there does have to be other surviving Harrelsen's.

I outlined at one point the 'tradition' of:
First son - takes over the business (merchant)
2nd son - enters the clergy
3rd son - enters the military

So Amirad was originally intended for the clergy, untill is first brother died when he was 5, then they wanted him to learn the business, then when his father died when he was 9 he entered the military (paladin).
[/sblock]

[sblock=Feud]
It all started when you were 16 and I was 10, (eight years ago)
I personally like possibilities like -- someone sleeping with someone else scandal, something to do with slave trade, suspicions of bribery and other fun issues, in fact at this point during the feud I'm sure there's many reasons. Who knows what started it. Our grandfathers death? stealng customers and business partners, is one of many reasons the feud is . . . fueled.
[/sblock]
We also established in game that we used to discuss becoming adventurers as children. And were caught in a rainstorm when you were 13, I was 7. Hid in a fox cave and slayed dragons:)

the above is all just a summary of what we've discussed so far. But is of course subject to change.

Last edited:

Thondor

[sblock=Sgt Stubbs Silverhammer]
Going with a Dwarven Fighter, so the stats should now be as follows:

Str 14, Int 12, Wis 14, Dex 14, Con 15, Cha 10

Character will be named Sgt Stubbs Silverhammer, an odd dwarf who left home at his young age to join the humans fighting on their borders because he grew up dreaming about riding with a lance on horseback. Poor Corporal Silverhammer wants to become a knight or a paladin, not understanding the biases of both his own dwarves and of humans. He worked for the militia along the human borderlands, and impressed the humans he worked for enough to reach the rank of sergeant and earn some significant pay that he worked hard to save. The money purchased his equipment once his term of 3 years of service in the militia expired. He insists on keeping his rank, as he believes that titles are important to men.

Will purchase some items and finish up his racial advantages and post a complete character sheet soon.

Sgt Stubbs Silverhammer, Male Dwarf, Fighter 1, Alignment: Lawful Good

Strength - 14
Intelligence - 12
Wisdom - 14
Dexterity - 14
Constitution - 15 (+1 to hp)
Charisma - 10

Armor Class: 3
Hit points: 11

Saving Throws:
Paralyzation, Poison, and Death Magic: 14
Petrification or Polymorph: 15
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 16
Breath Weapon: 17
Spells: 17

Languages: Common, Lawful Good, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Kobold, Orcish

Racial Bonuses:

+4 bonus to saving throws for magic wands, staves, rods, and spells.

+4 bonus to saving throws vs toxic substances

Extra Languages: Common, Lawful Good, dwarven, gnome, goblin, kobold and orcish

Infravision, 60'

Able to detect the following when within 10 feet: detect grade or slope in passage (75%), detect new construction or passage/tunnel (75%), detect sliding or shifting walls or rooms (67%), detect traps involving pits, falling blocks, and other stonework (50%) or determine approximate depth underground (50%)

In melee combat, add 1 to dice rolls to hit half-orcs, orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins
Subtract 4 from opponents roll when oppenent is a ogre, ogre magi, troll, giant or titan

Add 1 to Con, subtract 1 from Cha

Equipment: Banded Mail, Small Shield, Long Sword, 2x Throwing Axes, Backpack, Tinderbox w/ Flint and Steel, 1 Week Iron Rations, 5 Torches, Full Waterskin, Large Sack

Money: 3gp, 29 cp
[/sblock]

[sblock=Maruial Afalines]

So, in finality:

Maruial Afalines, Male Elf, Fighter 1 / Magic-User 1

Strength - 16
Intelligence - 14
Wisdom - 13
Dexterity - 14
Constitution - 11
Charisma - 14

Armor Class: 6
Hit points: 7

Saving Throws:
Paralyzation, Poison, and Death Magic: 14
Petrification or Polymorph: 13
Rod, Staff, or Wand: 11
Breath Weapon: 15
Spells: 12

Spells: Read Magic, Charm Person, Protection From Evil, Detect Magic

Weapon Proficiencies: Short Sword, Long Sword, Short Bow, Long Bow

Languages: Common, Chaotic Neutral, Elvish, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orcish, Gnoll

Racial Bonuses: 90% resistance vs Sleep and Charm; +1 to attack rolls with Bows, Short Swords, and Long Swords; 60' infravision; Notices secret doors 1:6, Finds secret doors 1:3, Finds concealed portals 1:2; Surprises monsters 2:3 outside of armor and 90' from party, Surprises monsters 1:3 when entering through portal

Equipment: Studded Leather, Large Shield, Small Helm, Long Sword, Short Bow, Quiver of Score, Twenty Arrows, Backpack, Waterskin, Large Belt Pouch (Components), Small Belt Pouch (Money), Tinder Box, Belt, Hard Boots, Cloak, Spellbook, Hooded Lantern, 3x Flasks of Oil, 50' Rope, 2x Leather Scroll Cases, Large Sack, Standard Rations

Money: 5gp, 8sp, 4cp

Height: 4'10", Weight: 120, Age: 180
[/sblock]

You folks might want to post this over in the RG thread.

Forgive me if I can't find the attack matrix or how encumbrance works.
The attack matrix is in the DMG p. 74, or take a look at OSRIC

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Thanks for the recapp! I am trying to get two jobs in order: daily at 2 pm to 1030 pm and on the side. Not always eeasy and veryn time consuming! it is very helpful.

I do believe Ghostcat is playing Lidia? Druidess?

[sblock=feud]

Scandle!! Our Deceased Grandfather had an affair with a married endentured sloave, getting her preggers. she dissappeared with the rumor that she rand off with some other guy, but things went bad when her pregnant body was half dragged from a shallow grave and eaten upon by something canine (canis lupis?) Grandpa was found dead in his sleep about a month later (poisoned by her widower-husband?)

and more scandle!!!
Austin is the eldest of 4 boys and 3 girls. In the family tradidtion, He was supposed to take up the business end of things, but after a night of strange visions, he decided to follow the priestly order of life. That led the the second born to take the reins of the business and the third and forth youngest boys to take up arms in the military.

Still more scandle yet!! His younger sister (second born child) has ran off and not been found (in actuality she has joined an order of paladins like her cousin, after having watched her older brother and her cousin always playing 'dragon hunt'. She was alwasy known for haveing a heart of the purest gold)
[/sblock]

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Okay, so I'm going to get the action moving again this weekend! Here's where we stand:

These characters are continuing from where we left off:

Austin Haarelsen, Male Human Cleric (Scott DeWar)
Lidia, Female Human Druid (ghostcat)
Amirad the Gallant, Male Human Paladin (Thondor)

These characters are disappearing:

Kelthalas "Kel" Greyleaf, Male Elf Thief (garyh)
Litlandial "Little Mo" Mohindran, Female Half-Elf Cleric/Fighter/Magic-User (The Digger)
Zhantain, Male Human Psionic Ranger (Darkwolf71)
Hulan, Male Human Magic-User (Gli'jar)

They will be replaced with:

Sgt. Stubbs Silverhammer, Male Dwarf Fighter (Deuce Traveler)
Maruial Afalines, Male Elf Fighter/Magic-User (PolterGhost)

Welcome aboard!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads