• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rel's Faded Glory II (Thanks Old One) Final Update 7/14

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Better late than never...

The Oubliette

Healing was applied to all members of the party via the healing wands and a couple of Raven's remaining spells. Once back from the brink of unconsciousness, the group examined the room. In addition to the circle inscribed on the ceiling and the spy hole overlooking the chamber of bone, they found a door. It had no apparent handle or lock but in the center was a shallow depression in the same shape as one of the Amulets of Communication which the Inquisitors of St. Cuthbert had so strongly cautioned them about.

Raven reached into his haversack and pulled forth one of the amulets and gave it to Scar. Scar fitted it into the depression on the door to which it adhered with an audible click. A moment later there was a sound of stone scraping on stone as the door slid into the wall. Beyond was a stairway leading upwards. The party quietly ascended.

The top of the stairs brought them to a room similar in size to the one below. It clearly held the trappings of a bedroom but also contained a small altar at the far end. There was little time to ponder the décor however as a robed figure kneeling at the altar sprang into action and attacked the party.

It first unleashed a ray of Searing Light which struck Raven in the chest, burning him. Scar closed quickly and found himself face to face with a creature that looked similar to the illusion he had faced in the room below. But this "man" had an appearance of undying antiquity as if he was being kept alive by some malevolent force. It struck at the Half-Orc with its mace and connected. The strength behind the blow was considerable for someone with such a thin frame.

But Scar also packed a punch. His warhammer landed a pair of telling blows on the creature. Raven joined the melee a moment later and the pair of warriors made quick work of the abomination. The group stood about panting with exertion, wondering what other horrors the temple could possibly hold.

A search about the room turned up a few objects of note. Among them were a pair of amulets (that looked nothing like the Amulets of Communication), a magical cloak, magical boots, the mace wielded by the creature that guarded the chamber and a book that appeared to be a journal of some kind. Speaks paged through the journal for a minute or two before announcing that it was the object of their quest. It was decided that they should depart the temple before taking time to fully read the contents of the journal.

The group gathered the magical items they had discovered and prepared to set out. Scar quickly decapitated and bagged the head of the guardian, defiled the altar and declared himself ready to depart. (Note: Scar's player has somewhat of a history of having characters who defile altars at the drop of a hat. In a published, Rolemaster sourcebook authored by Speak's player and myself, Scar's player - one of our playtesters - was assigned the nickname "Religion Wrecker". You'll also note that he casually tore down the wall hanging in the sanctuary when they first entered the temple.)

The group cautiously made their way out through the chamber of bone and across the pit trap that had troubled Raven previously. They ascended back to the vestibule, mindful of the traps contained there. As they entered back into the Sanctuary, they heard a noise. A moment later, Scrubs the bear came tearing into the temple with an arrow protruding from his rump.

NEXT: Yet Another Nasty Fight While The Party Has Virtually No Spells Or Hit Points (or Rel Vies For Rat Bastard Of The Year)

Fade

First Post
Just started reading your storyhour from the beginning, and it's a lot of fun!

The group was now tired, battered, without spells, without shelter, in knee deep snow and had, at most, a handful of hours before a score of orcs would be on top of them. In other words, things were about like normal.

There seems to be a definite trend in the Faded Glory setting. :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Fade said:
Just started reading your storyhour from the beginning, and it's a lot of fun!

You know what, Fade, I've had a really crappy morning and that just made me feel a LOT better. Thanks for that.

If you have any comments or questions about the old thread, feel free to post them here and I'll be happy to answer them.

Fade

First Post
Ilrath seemed to crit at the most appropriate times - was this sheer luck, or were you avoiding killing all the characters before the players had become attached to them, so you could kill them later in a much crueler fashion?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Fade said:
Ilrath seemed to crit at the most appropriate times - was this sheer luck, or were you avoiding killing all the characters before the players had become attached to them, so you could kill them later in a much crueler fashion?

There was no fudging for or against the players in this campaign (although I've done it in many a game in the past). I always roll the dice out on the table where the players can see it unless it is a roll that needs to be kept secret. So Ilrath's crits were all legitimate.

As far as killing the characters later in a much crueler fashion, no comment on that for now since you are still reading the earlier adventures. ;)

Fade

First Post
Now finished the backlog, and anxiously waiting for more!

I see that Raven is a student of the Wulf school of trap disarmament. :)

Rel, seriously. What's up with the story hour? I mean, I don't want everyone to know that our campaign is done, we've played another entire system, and even begun a new campaign since your last installment.

Just checking in, buddy. Let me know how it's going and I'll keep your little secret. ;)

P.S. You are coming over to X-box it this weekend right? :D

Remove ads