D&D General Reminder: Spellfire can come out of any body part…

HammerMan

Legend
What are you talking about Gary was out by the time the Forgotten Realms got going (even before spellfire) what did he say that was so bad?
I am going to assume that poster has you blocked but I will put the quotes up

"As I have often said, I am a biological determinist, and there is no question that male and female brains are different. It is apparent to me that by and large females do not derive the same inner satisfaction from playing games as a hobby that males do. It isn't that females can't play games well, it is just that it isn't a compelling activity to them as is the case for males."
Gary Gygax

www.enworld.org

TSR - Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.
www.enworld.org
www.enworld.org

"A number of the chaps with families are bound to bring them next year so that thay can enjoy the charms of Lake Geneva, a true tourist trap with plenty to amuse women and children not enthralled by the lure of gaming."
Gary Gygax

www.enworld.org

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.
www.enworld.org
www.enworld.org

"20 years? Way to short a period. The fantasy and SF pulp zines in the 1940s were rife with scantily clad women. Frazetta and Boris became famous for such work.

Now that's not politically correct. Tough :D It still is fun, and it sells."

Gary Gygax

www.enworld.org

For everyone who piles on Avalanche for their covers, please look

King Stannis, I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just take it very personally when someone implies that I'm a hypocrite. I've tried to live a life free of hypocrisy, so I'm a bit touchy about such loose accusations. However, it is not hypocrisy to be able to put an issue in context...
www.enworld.org
www.enworld.org

"Just so. The only limit I placed on female PCS was no Str above 18. In actual history female participation in what would be considered adventuring was virtually nil. i am always amused when history programs on the tube attempt Political Corectness by featuring the only examples of female duelists, pirates, warriors, etc. They represent less than one percent of the whole being considered, and featuring one-armed men in the same roles would be at least as meaningful historically. Frankly, not only did society generally prevent such participation, but I believe most women were generally not the least interested in engaging in such dangerous and questionable activities."
Gary Gygax

www.enworld.org

www.enworld.org
www.enworld.org

I can't stress enough that he said this stuff -here-. On ENWorld. Before it became against policy to say stuff like this.

I am going to assume that poster has you blocked but I will put the quotes up
thank you...
"As I have often said, I am a biological determinist, and there is no question that male and female brains are different. It is apparent to me that by and large females do not derive the same inner satisfaction from playing games as a hobby that males do. It isn't that females can't play games well, it is just that it isn't a compelling activity to them as is the case for males."
Gary Gygax
What the hell... I never knew. I always thought he was cool. I have friends he would misgender, and that is not cool at all. That is repulsive. I'm glad in 2008 I didn't interact with him.
"A number of the chaps with families are bound to bring them next year so that thay can enjoy the charms of Lake Geneva, a true tourist trap with plenty to amuse women and children not enthralled by the lure of gaming."
Gary Gygax
so he just assumes no woman or child plays his game, that isn't just revolting but dumb. Like why narrow your potential audiance to only men over an age... that is nuts.
"20 years? Way to short a period. The fantasy and SF pulp zines in the 1940s were rife with scantily clad women. Frazetta and Boris became famous for such work.

Now that's not politically correct. Tough :D It still is fun, and it sells."

Gary Gygax
This I could have ALMOST given a pass... it's one thing to look back with rose tinted glasses but the dig about PC culture was just mean for no reason.
"Just so. The only limit I placed on female PCS was no Str above 18. In actual history female participation in what would be considered adventuring was virtually nil. i am always amused when history programs on the tube attempt Political Corectness by featuring the only examples of female duelists, pirates, warriors, etc. They represent less than one percent of the whole being considered, and featuring one-armed men in the same roles would be at least as meaningful historically. Frankly, not only did society generally prevent such participation, but I believe most women were generally not the least interested in engaging in such dangerous and questionable activities."
Gary Gygax
I HATE stat caps (but I thought ever stat in 1e and 2e capped at 18 without magic) I can't beleived he didnt' understand history, or the game he helped make... I want to cry reading this.
I can't stress enough that he said this stuff -here-. On ENWorld. Before it became against policy to say stuff like this.
I'm glad that enworld is better then this now... but is the hobby? would mike mearls or chris perkins say this stuff if 'allowed to' how many fellow posters would... Ugh this just took an ugly turn for sure.

I HATE stat caps (but I thought ever stat in 1e and 2e capped at 18 without magic) I can't beleived he didnt' understand history, or the game he helped make... I want to cry reading this.
Small tangent about Gold Box Games: I'm really glad Gold Box Companion lets you blatantly cheat around those attribute limits, and racial level limits. But even back when it first came out, I thought Pool of Radiance was really darn progressive! ;)

fqTr0.png

…according to the creator of The Forgotten Realms.

You see, I’ve started reading the old old FRs novel: Spellfire. Written by Ed Greenwood.

A fresh on the job 16 year waif of a girl goes on her first adventure and ends up being able to channel Spellfire (primal spell blasts by way of Dragonball Z)

Elminster tells this young lady that when she lets loose it will come out of her eyes and/or mouth and/or hands.

So she starts going all DBZ on the bad guys and as blasts are coming out of her mouth and hands, I kid you not, rips her shirt open and adds breast blasts to the barrage.

Dot dot dot.

This is a weird fricking story. And it’s the first of a trilogy.

Edit: I have been made aware he probably meant "Chest" not "Boobs". Also, 2nd half of the book is pretty good.
Probably the worst book I’ve ever read. It’s fair to say that I didn’t read the following books in the trilogy. Maybe the second part is better but I wasn’t able to finish the book. Maybe I missed the best bits!

Probably the worst book I’ve ever read. It’s fair to say that I didn’t read the following books in the trilogy. Maybe the second part is better but I wasn’t able to finish the book. Maybe I missed the best bits!
it and daughter of the drow are the only FR novels I finished (Unless you count those little half books that were a $1 in 90s I read a bunch of those but didn't finish the series)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The ending of the trilogy caused me to stand up throw the book at the wall screaming "This is s***" one of two books that got that treatment.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hey, compared to a lot of contemporary anime, that's downright tame.

I like to watch the occasional anime series while watching other shows - mix things up so I'm not just binging one thing.

Annnnnnnnyway..... I stated watching Bastard!! on Netflix. It's ... well, on the one hand, it's something that's right up the "D&D" alley in the sense that it actually references a LOT OF D&Disms (really- it has cockatrices and magic missiles and all that). And some funny heavy metal references (a lot of things are named after metal bands).

...but it's really ... ew. And I don't mean in the usual "anime is kinda perv-y" way. Let's just say it doesn't consider basic things like ... age differences and ... who raises who ... in a very considered or nuanced way.

Remove ads