D&D 5E Removing Daily/Encounter Powers from the Fighter

Will there be options in the PHB or DMG for substituting "at-will" or "always-on" abilities for the fighter in place of his "short/long rest recharge" abilities?

I generally dislike the idea of non-magical abilities being limited in such a way, with a few exceptions. It feels too gamist. I am sure I could come up with house rule options that are suitable, probably a constant AC or DR boost. A boost in those areas is probably going to be necessary anyway, depending on the final barbarian design.

I don't mind per-encounter powers limited on the grounds of "if an opponent has seen or been affected by this maneuver, it won't fall for it," or "once you do this, you are fatigued." Something that the character could understand. Right now the short rest refresh seems to lack a adequate in-character explanation, and brings to mind the 4E design principles that led me to avoid that game entirely.

If the explanation was that Action Surge fatigued you, but you could still use Second Wind, then Second Wind would be the less fatiguing option. But using Second Wind tires you out so much you can't use it again before a rest, even though you can still use Action Surge.

Alternatively, I could try to redesign Action Surge and Second Wind so they function sort of like Encounter Powers but don't feel that way: offer it at-will but with consequences. A +1 Exhaustion at the end of your turn seems fair for Action Surge. Maybe for Second Wind there is an escalating Con save, with success being SW and failure being 1d6 damage (wounds reopening) and Exhaustion +1. Fighters can have Indomitable at-will as far as I am concerned.

Any thoughts or ideas?

ForumFerret

Explorer
Honestly, I don't think you'd see too much issue with letting Action Surge and Second Wind give a level of fatigue each that goes away after X rounds or minutes.

In long combats, it might mean that the fighter got to use Action Surge twice, but I'm totally okay with that.

At later levels, where they get multiple action surges per rest, let it reduce the fatigue duration instead.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I don't mind those abilities as written. But you could pretty easily convert them to an Exhaustion Point mechanic.

Both action surge and second wind work as normal. When a character gains a use of one of those abilities, the character also gains an Exhaustion Point. Using an ability costs an Exhaustion Point.

Half of a character's Exhaustion Points return after a short rest. All of them return with a long rest.

Thaumaturge.

ForumFerret

Explorer
If you want to tie it to existing mechanics and explanations, let 1 use of action surge and second wind come back with each Hit Die spent. Since hit die recovery is supposed to represent resting, recharging, and healing, that makes sense in-situ.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
If the explanation was that Action Surge fatigued you, but you could still use Second Wind, then Second Wind would be the less fatiguing option. But using Second Wind tires you out so much you can't use it again before a rest, even though you can still use Action Surge

Give the fighter a number of Fatigue Slots equal to the number of things he can do that require a short rest to recharge. Then let him fill those slots with the various maneuvers he can do, just like Spell Slots, until he's too tired and needs to sit down.

You could even mess with the math if short rest recharge is unwanted, by giving him CON bonus + level extra slots or something, but they recharge on a daily basis.

Then, when he gets a lot of different maneuvers, you could say that he can only prep for a limited number of them per day. Perhaps he has to do his katas in the morning, practicing the fighting techniques that he wants to focus on most.

ForumFerret

Explorer
Give the fighter a number of Fatigue Slots equal to the number of things he can do that require a short rest to recharge. Then let him fill those slots with the various maneuvers he can do, just like Spell Slots, until he's too tired and needs to sit down.

You could even mess with the math if short rest recharge is unwanted, by giving him CON bonus + level extra slots or something, but they recharge on a daily basis.

Then, when he gets a lot of different maneuvers, you could say that he can only prep for a limited number of them per day. Perhaps he has to do his katas in the morning, practicing the fighting techniques that he wants to focus on most.

Fighting doesn't really work like that. I think he'd be better served by grabbing the Maneuvers mechanic from Dragon Age RPG, or something similar.

Assign each maneuver a point cost, and let the fighter earn points on each strike (maybe 1 per 2 or 5 points above the AC of the creature?). The fighter can then spend those points to apply an affect to his strike - any strike, potentially every strike in the combat round.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Fighting doesn't really work like that. I think he'd be better served by grabbing the Maneuvers mechanic from Dragon Age RPG, or something similar.

Assign each maneuver a point cost, and let the fighter earn points on each strike (maybe 1 per 2 or 5 points above the AC of the creature?). The fighter can then spend those points to apply an affect to his strike - any strike, potentially every strike in the combat round.

Fighting doesn't really work like that either... :)

Just wrestle the guy to the ground every time he wants to use a power. When he doesn't stand back up, his character needs an extended rest.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Will there be options in the PHB or DMG for substituting "at-will" or "always-on" abilities for the fighter in place of his "short/long rest recharge" abilities?

I generally dislike the idea of non-magical abilities being limited in such a way, with a few exceptions. It feels too gamist.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Straight-up make them at-will. Seriously. Let the fighter action surge or second wind /every round/. When you get the Battlemaster, let his CS dice pool refresh at the start of every round.

If your objection really is to the idea of the limitation, not to the idea of the fighter getting some 'nice things,' that's your solution.

jadrax

Adventurer
Straight-up make them at-will. Seriously. Let the fighter action surge or second wind /every round/. When you get the Battlemaster, let his CS dice pool refresh at the start of every round.

If your objection really is to the idea of the limitation, not to the idea of the fighter getting some 'nice things,' that's your solution.

The Fighter in the play test who regained all of his Dice every turn was by far the most popular at my table. Unfortunately people seem married to the idea that a Fighter subclass had to provide 'encounter powers'.

Remove ads