D&D 5E Removing INT, replacing it with?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
So, taken from another thread:

I want to remove intelligence as stat. At my table, low or high INT is generally badly played. I think a mix of class/background/race should allow in-game characters to know a lot already. A inhabitant of a world like Faerun or whatever should be able to know a few common basic things: what it this god symbol? What is this type of common tree? etc

Same with classes: a druid should just know basic stuff about animals, fighters can identify type of enemy troops, rangers should know best about their favored terrain/enemies, spellcasters know about magic, etc.

Same with background. A veteran can identify mercenary companies, a hermit know a terrible secrets etc

Same with race. I personally replace Language proficiency with Culture proficiency: if you know Dwarven, you also know general dwarven history and the etiquette when dealing with them.

So, I remove INT and the skills that comes with it. Characters either know stuff from their class/culture/background or they dont. Here's what I think would be advantages:
  • Hidden or forbidden knowledge should be a reason to adventure, or at least take the Research downtime activity.
  • Language proficiency becomes a big boon, especially exotic ones.
  • Features like Slayer's Eye, Know your enemy etc are more interesting to use in play.
  • Favored Enemies and Terrains allow a ranger to be THE guy you go to when you want to know about undeads, dragons or that mysterious forest over there, etc
  • Remove the unfortunate ''play 8 int as a complete moron'' type of character.
  • Tools become more important: know more ''I scribe this scroll or brew this potion with Arcana or Religion''. You craft them using the appropriate tools. Want to identify an item? Use the appropriate tool's! Or cast Identify!

In exchange, I'd make an Awareness/Acumen stat to:
  • Put Perception, Insight, Investigation, Survival there. Leaving WIS
  • Put Initiative there, thus lowering the all-importance of DEX.

So, other neutral effects would be:
  • Wizard are moved to WIS caster (as are the other INT casters).
  • Wisdom now encompasses calm thinking and reflection as well as willpower (partially shared with Charisma).
  • INT saves, which are rare, becomes either Awareness saves or charisma or wisdom.
  • Want to play a smart-a**? Gather the most language/tools proficiencies and gather lore IN-GAME!

So, how does it look?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
This mostly works for me. I'd be tempted to replace INT with more skills, but of course skills are linked to ability scores, so...

Thing is, you could do this with most of - if not all - abilities.

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
So, how does it look?
Pretty good. I did something very similar when for a d20-inspired system* I never end-up using. It worked well in the little playtest I did.

*T'was a wannabe simplified 3e D&D circa 2008-2009, after being dissatisfied with 4th ed. 5e came to be pretty similar in the end, and better in some ways. Gosh, I wish I came up with advantage/disadvantage...

You have a whole different take on how to use Int and other ability stats than I do. Plus your whole 'either you do or you don't' take on things pretty much negates the needs for stats and skill bonuses at all. At that point, you're using a whole different system. Maybe you would enjoy a pure narrative system better?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases