renau1g's Thunderspire Labyrinth

renau1g

First Post
A swirling thunderhead of black clouds, rumbling thunder, and bright flashes of lightning obscure the peak of the mountain ahead of you. This is the infamous Thunderspire Mountain, the largest of the Old Hills that covers the northeast passage of the Nentir Vale.

A cobbled path leads from the Trade Road towards The Minotaur Gate, or so you've been told by Valthoon the Wise from the town of Winterhaven.

Approaching the location, you see a 50-foot-tall stone archway hewn out of the mountainside. Towering minotaur statues stand on each side of the entrance, glowering down at you.

Beyond this archway, a wide, tall tunnel continues into the mountain, with copper lanterns hanging 10 feet above the floor, in the hands of additional minotaur statues, each almost 20 feet tall.

The path splinters into numerous passages a short way into the mountain. A wide tunnel with several smaller smaller tunnels leading off it seems to cut a path towards the mountain's deep center. As you make your way, you notice light spilling out from a partially open door a short way down one of the side passages.

[sblock=Perception DC 10]
You hear coarse laughter, and guttural voices echoing off the corridor. You manage to make out a rough voice, speaking in Common "You're ours now halfling. We'll easily get ten gold pieces for you!" Another, softer voice responds "That's a shame, cuz I'm worth twenty. Tell ya what I'll buy myself if you let me go"
[/sblock]

[sblock=links]
OOC - http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238139
RG - http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?p=4436879#post4436879
[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
Vio

The Eladrin quickly stops when hearing the voices. Could this be some of the Bloodreavers? Only one way to find out. The wizard hangs back out of view while those that favor blades over spells get ready to act.

Vio whispers to the others, "I'll mage hand the door open the rest of the way. You guys take it from there."

Last edited:

Redclaw

First Post
We're best served with a bit of scouting, so we know what we're getting into, Patresh suggests. Saph, can you check it out for us? We'll be ready if you need us.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"I agree", whispers Sargil, with a nod to Patresh. "Doesn't sound like there's bloodshed about to happen, no need to rush in." He draws his blade and readies his shield, ready to rush to Saph's defense if he gets in trouble.

[sblock=OOC]Initiative (1d20+5=21) for when the fighting starts.[/sblock]

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It had been a long, long hike. Several days of walking under the sweltering sun up into the hills north of the Nentir Vale. The blue dragonborn thug named Saphalaxis had been hired by a slight, pointy-eared, nancy-boy several months ago to protect him as he searched for some supposedly important magical relics. Saph didn't know what relics, and didn't care to know. The wizard's gold was good, and that's all he cared about.

Up until this part of the journey, the job had been easy... most people and creatures ignored the eladrin altogether, making his position as bodyguard easy money. In fact, Saph occasionally felt just the slightest bit guilty about taking the coinage from this guy named Vio, that he actually volunteered to help out in small ways. Some light lifting here, some carrying there. Anyone who had known Saphalaxis previously would have been amazed that he was doing this... but for the roguish imp, it was his way of making sure he kept the job.

However, these past few days made Saph wonder if perhaps his good-natured assistance to the spellcaster backfired on him. All this hiking... joining up with these other guys again... and listening to the the demands! All the demands! "Saph, do this!" "Saph, do that!" Who did these people think they were? Each and every time they got together, it was the same exact thing.

Patresh said:
Saph, can you check it out for us? We'll be ready if you need us.

Saphalaxis looks over at the warlord and stares at him blankly. There he goes again! he thinks to himself, while giving no outward display of his annoyance. When are these two going to learn that just asking nicely doesn'r cut it with me?

Saph didn't know if it was some sort of racial thing... but the two other dragonborn that Vio always hooked up with, these guys Patresh and Sargil, always seemed to expect him to jump when they said jump. It had been like this each and every time, as though Saph was nothing but a lapdog to boss around. This was just like his father did, just like his mother did, just like all dragonborn did.

The eladrin never seemed to have that problem... he appeared to understand the mercenary nature of Saph's existance... but these other two... they just wouldn't accept it. It obviously was some sort of military thing, but it took all of Saph's resolve to not bend his will to them. He continues to stare blankly at the warlord, knowing this was a sure-fire way of seeing things devolve into another argument again... but Patresh needed to offer up something more meaningful to Saph than just because it was the "right thing to do". He'd do what Vio would ask of him, because the wizard gave him the gold... but these other two...

"I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you Patresh." Saphalaxis says... everyone knowing it was a bald-faced lie.

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Sargil

"I'm sorry, what? I couldn't hear you Patresh." Saphalaxis says... everyone knowing it was a bald-faced lie.
Sargil looks back over his shoulder at the lazy dragonborn and lets out a sigh. Remind me again why we brought him? he thinks.

Sargil still hadn't quite figured Saph out, even though they'd been travelling together for some time. He couldn't understand how money could be Saph's only motivation ... surely he has something else driving him than just the desire for coins. Some aspiration, some goal, some technique to perfect. But then ... maybe that was it - maybe Saph wasn't driven by anything, just coasting along through life ... maybe he wants to perfect the technique of being abominably lazy and still getting by.

"Saph, aren't you getting paid to do things like this?" Sargil starts to move towards the door. "If you're not going to do your job, I'll go ahead and do mine. Lets go", he rumbles. Though he's eager to find out if there are some goblins he can fight, he approaches slowly enough that one of his companions can stop him before he arrives at the door, in case they have another plan.

Redclaw

First Post
A low growl rumbles up from Patresh's chest, frustration momentarily getting the best of him. Calm, he tells himself. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that you lived as a mercenary. He turns back to the rogue and attempts his best conciliatory tone. Come now, Saph, he says. Haven't you learned the way this works yet. We each do our part, and we all profit from the interaction. You scout, Sargil wades in, Vio zaps, Yanwer blasts and I keep you all on your feet. In the end, we get the gold, but only if we all work together.

His gaze follows Sargil as the third dragonborn approaches the door. If he alerts someone to our presence before we know they're there, everyone will be in greater danger, including yourself and your paycheck, he nods toward the eladrin.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Saphalaxis' shoulders slump when both dragonborn comment on his responsibilities. It's been the same argument every time... do your job or you won't get paid. As much as he is loathe to admit it, he knows that they are right... but he never wants to make it easy for the two of them. The last thing he is going to let happen is to let them expect for him to do whatever they tell him to do. He's not about to give someone that kind of power over him.

Saph's muscles ripple underneath his glistening blue scales, and he glances over to the eldarin to see his response. The fey just stares back at him unresponsive... which in actuality is layered with more information than the others realize. The rogue rolls his eyes and sighs... then begins sillently moving past Sargil, up towards the door.

[sblock=Stealth check: 26]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1709754/[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=Saphalaxis]
Moving as quietly as the spiders traversing the corridor at your side, you come up to the door in question. You can't see much as the door is mostly closed, but in the slit of an opening, you see a hobgoblin with his back to you. His focus is away from you, looking deeper in the room. This hobgoblin has scale armour and and carries a heavy shield and flail across its back.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads