D&D 5E Resource-Draining Model D&D Doesn't Work (for me)

dave2008

Legend
How do you reveal them as needed? I've been struggling with this, because I hate taking the time to draw out the next room, but I also don't want the PCs to know what they are looking at before they get there. Also, I have roll-up whiteboard maps that get smudged between sessions. (We frequently have to pause at least once in-between sessions on a big dungeon, especially since all of us are learning as we go.)

I just cover the undiscovered parts of the map with paper. Typically 8.5x11 card stock, but whatever is handy works. I used to re-cover areas after they left them to get more a fog-of-war effect, but that became more tedious than it was worth. Now, once I it is uncovered, it stays uncovered.

Oofta

Legend
How do you reveal them as needed? I've been struggling with this, because I hate taking the time to draw out the next room, but I also don't want the PCs to know what they are looking at before they get there. Also, I have roll-up whiteboard maps that get smudged between sessions. (We frequently have to pause at least once in-between sessions on a big dungeon, especially since all of us are learning as we go.)

I've tried a few things. As [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION] said, just cover the undiscovered areas as you go. The general structure doesn't generally change behind people (although creatures can and will sometimes come from the rear). If something does change such as a passage being blocked that's a quick swipe of a dry-erase marker.

Another option is to make your own grids. May not be worth it, but draw out a grid regular paper and use laminating sheets to create your own mini-maps. They work like regular maps, if you're ambitious you can even download or draw maps on your computer. They can be used just like a paizo flip mat.

In general though, I use theater of the mind with maybe some sketching on a small whiteboard for everything where I'm not having a fight. As they explore the dungeon/castle/ruins I describe the areas they're going through. We establish a marching order and only pull out minis/maps when there's a complex trap or a fight.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The problem only becomes a problem when DMs arent clever or assertive enough to manage the adventuring day.

I like not having to worry about it and let the emergent story determine the pacing. Works best ofcourse if everyone has similar abilities to nova and or sustain etc... but player personalities like resource hoarding or thrill seekers etc will still change expression (but yeh then it is player choice and can adjust as they go).

Last edited:

Sadras

Legend

As @Oofta mentioned
(a) Describe simple rooms or areas with low number of monsters/NPCs and run combat using Threatre of Mind. It is important you have a table that accepts this style of play - at least for the simpler combats, otherwise you will struggle as I have found out that the younger generation, particularly those heavily influenced via Mercer & Co, dislike this style of format.
I run most online sessions using Theatre of Mind only as I'm not quite there yet with the IT skills on Roll20.

(b) Another method is to loosely draw the room on a piece of white paper, not necessarily in grid format, only enough to assist the imagination of the players.

(c) You can use a grid for the larger more complex combats. I have a player who created two large grid sheets (each A0 size, apologies I don't know if that description exists in the USA) for hexagonal and square grids, and then laminated them. We use markers to easily draw fixtures/fittings (such as pillars, walls, windows, ledges and the like) and tokens for the monsters and PCs. The laminated grid allows for easy cleaning once combat is over - damp tissue works just fine or purchase a sponge. These grids only comes out for combat.
We ran the entire combat of our last session (described upthread) on such grid, colouring in the pillars, holes and furniture.

If you need to end combat prematurely, take a photo of it on your cellphone for next session.

(d) One of the new Mercer-influenced players has tried his hand at DMing and uses Fantasy Grounds with the computer screen turned towards the players. That is also good. You need to find what styles work for the group and do not be afraid to mix it up in a session.

Do you keep a log for every session? Really quickly, I will just go around the table and note the spell slots, superiority dice, etc. that each PC has. I already have the HP from the latest battle sheet. Then, at the start of each session, we quickly recap where everybody was. Yes, as the DM I am still the one keeping track, but it takes at most 5 minutes total.

I do very much the same on an excel spreadsheet - which is mostly updated during combat.
Inspiration use, HD, Spells Slots, Hit Points and a few other class/race features/abilities as well as conditions (Disease, Exhaustion and Madness). It is quick and easy like you said.

I tried to keep a log on Obsidian Portal of the sessions but that got away from me pretty quickly - it is too much work and once it is considered work, it isn't fun anymore. These days I only update our Admin Page and Timeline.
I'm thinking of converting our Obsidian Page to a simple wiki for only the most important campaign information i.e. Cult of the Dragon, Ordning, Factions, Council Members...etc

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I've been running a bit of 4e in recent years. Unfortunately the problem seems even worse with 1.5 hour trivial encounters.

Pretty certain that means the DM didnt make them trivial that or insisted on events being "encounters" instead of just allowing some minions to atmospherically go down showing how awesome the heros are if this occasionally means a lost healing surge amount of hit points tadah there is resource drain.

To me it seems like 5e just wants trivial encounters to "mean something"...
I usually found that once a fight got down to spamming at-wills, it was over and we just handwaved the rest.

I really appreciate your position on this one though; though I play a bit more frequently than you, it's still a slog for no real (fun) reason it seems.

It's a big enough problem that, after this campaign wraps up, we'll be switching to 13th Age. Have you considered that?

If the fight isn't exciting and the NPCs are obviously losing I find having enemies make for the hills escape and change things into a skill challenge chase helps -- note PCs can do intimidation to short circuit the process if they want. And my players are less blood thirsty than many it seems so that chase scene is not necessarily eventual if the bad guys are not seen as very story significant by players.

Last edited:

As @Oofta mentioned
(a) Describe simple rooms or areas with low number of monsters/NPCs and run combat using Threatre of Mind. It is important you have a table that accepts this style of play - at least for the simpler combats, otherwise you will struggle as I have found out that the younger generation, particularly those heavily influenced via Mercer & Co, dislike this style of format.
I run most online sessions using Theatre of Mind only as I'm not quite there yet with the IT skills on Roll20.

(b) Another method is to loosely draw the room on a piece of white paper, not necessarily in grid format, only enough to assist the imagination of the players.

(c) You can use a grid for the larger more complex combats. I have a player who created two large grid sheets (each A0 size, apologies I don't know if that description exists in the USA) for hexagonal and square grids, and then laminated them. We use markers to easily draw fixtures/fittings (such as pillars, walls, windows, ledges and the like) and tokens for the monsters and PCs. The laminated grid allows for easy cleaning once combat is over - damp tissue works just fine or purchase a sponge. These grids only comes out for combat.
We ran the entire combat of our last session (described upthread) on such grid, colouring in the pillars, holes and furniture.

If you need to end combat prematurely, take a photo of it on your cellphone for next session.

(d) One of the new Mercer-influenced players has tried his hand at DMing and uses Fantasy Grounds with the computer screen turned towards the players. That is also good. You need to find what styles work for the group and do not be afraid to mix it up in a session.

I do very much the same on an excel spreadsheet - which is mostly updated during combat.
Inspiration use, HD, Spells Slots, Hit Points and a few other class/race features/abilities as well as conditions (Disease, Exhaustion and Madness). It is quick and easy like you said.

I tried to keep a log on Obsidian Portal of the sessions but that got away from me pretty quickly - it is too much work and once it is considered work, it isn't fun anymore. These days I only update our Admin Page and Timeline.
I'm thinking of converting our Obsidian Page to a simple wiki for only the most important campaign information i.e. Cult of the Dragon, Ordning, Factions, Council Members...etc
I am in the disliking Theater of the Mind group. I want a visible map. I do have a laminated grid that I use already. No computers are used in our game, so excel sheets aren't an option.

I've tried a few things. As @dave2008 said, just cover the undiscovered areas as you go. The general structure doesn't generally change behind people (although creatures can and will sometimes come from the rear). If something does change such as a passage being blocked that's a quick swipe of a dry-erase marker.

Another option is to make your own grids. May not be worth it, but draw out a grid regular paper and use laminating sheets to create your own mini-maps. They work like regular maps, if you're ambitious you can even download or draw maps on your computer. They can be used just like a paizo flip mat.

In general though, I use theater of the mind with maybe some sketching on a small whiteboard for everything where I'm not having a fight. As they explore the dungeon/castle/ruins I describe the areas they're going through. We establish a marching order and only pull out minis/maps when there's a complex trap or a fight.
Thanks. This is what I was wondering. I bought four large laminated grids that have hexes on one side and squares on the other, so I am good there. I am not big on the Theater of the Mind, especially since we are all complete newbies at this. However random encounters in the wilds just have a rough sketch of the terrain that takes a few seconds max. We also mostly use game pieces that are raided from other games instead of true minis. Now that we are about to start a bigger campaign, though, we may find that we need something more specific to help us distinguish between the pieces.

Oofta

Legend
Thanks. This is what I was wondering. I bought four large laminated grids that have hexes on one side and squares on the other, so I am good there. I am not big on the Theater of the Mind, especially since we are all complete newbies at this. However random encounters in the wilds just have a rough sketch of the terrain that takes a few seconds max. We also mostly use game pieces that are raided from other games instead of true minis. Now that we are about to start a bigger campaign, though, we may find that we need something more specific to help us distinguish between the pieces.

At various times I've used different things for minis. You can get a monster icon set fairly cheaply (or even free, I haven't looked lately) that you can print and use. I still use them for mounts. I also use things like the minis from a bag o' zombies for commoners. You can also get a bag o' zombie dogs not to mention bags of small to medium plastic spiders. I dab paint (or combinations of paint like red and yellow) on some of them if I want unique monsters that I can easily keep track of.

So while I've collected a fair number of plastic minis over the years here and there for my last game the board was littered with cheap zombies and spiders.

Remove ads