D&D 5E Resting and the frikkin' Elephant in the Room

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
A cool product for the DMs Guild would be a "making of" PDF that discussed the various design challenges and trade-offs They faced while creating the adventure. For example how did they go about developing that dungeon for that level of XP. What issues arose (if any) when relying on the encounter building guides in the DMG (did they even refer to the DMG?)

Why did they decide to drop in Harshnag Ex Machina when they realized the PCs would get tired of wondering around the north and want to get back to a focused adventure... ;)

What a wonderful resource that would be!

Harzel

Adventurer
Players will rest as often as they think that they can get away with so long as they eventually win. The DM has control of victory conditions and has the ability to declare that the PCs lose if they take too much time to accomplish something important.

Award XP only for the completion of goals. A goal not completed earns no XP.

So lets say the party needs to keep something from happening. You can award XP by percentage based on how on time or late the group is in getting to their goal.

Party stops the bad guys and saves all captives- 100% XP
Party stops the bad guys only after several captives have been murdered-75% XP
Party stops the bad guys only after most of the captives are murdered- 50% XP
Party stops the bad guys only after the captives are killed and the evil plan is enacted 0% XP

You don't have to force anything. Let them nap till their blessed little hearts are content- and watch their smug faces as you inform them that mopping up the spilled milk after it has run off the counter and soaked into the carpet results in no progress whatsoever with regard to level advancement.

Want to level? Get off your rear and adventure!

Yeah, the basic idea seems like a good technique, but I hope that you are presenting it this way for the sake of effect/amusement. Really surprising your players with such dicta would IMO be very poor form.

Last edited:

Harzel

Adventurer
Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Check and Mate... Now CapnZapp can go play in his sandbox, and is forever freed from the heavy burden of having to think up story complications. And the Forums lived happily ever after because of the valiant AntiStateQuixote!

Until one day when...

:erm:

Well... no? A rule where "character MUST have X fights before resting" are... arbitrary, and bizarre.

"Ah, finally, a decent inn with good food and a warm bed. Tell you what Patsy, I shall sleep in an extra hour or two tomorrow morning, and ask for the scrambled eggs and ham" "Excellent sir Lancelot, I am a bit tired too be honest"

Players: we take a long rest

GM: No

Players: erm... what? We are in a safe inn, good food etc... how is this not restful? Our last long rest we slept in a ditch!
Patsy: Well at least we had a tarp over us

GM: You haven't fought enough yet! You must kill the Knights who say Ni before you gain any slumber!

Players: oh bugger....

OR

Doctor: "So I prescribe rest for the next 2 weeks, your body needs to recover after this car hitting you. Buuut it looks like you still have a lot of fight in you, so go pick a fight with some ruffians, or maybe get in a boxing match?"
Patient" Wut?

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
How did people solve this problem in other games? Having played most editions I don't know how the problem really differs between editions. In 3.5/Pathfinder we have wands of CLW and when the caster runs low on slots we long rest. In 4e players could just use their dailies and rest, and in basic we could leave a dungeon and spend a night camping to regain spell for the wizard, using any spare cure spells to get more than the 1hp/day.

Unless I'm playing wrong, nothing fundamentally changed about the nature of pacing between editions, other than in basic it takes a week or more to be "fully rested" and in 3.5 onwards it only took a night. I distinctly remember in 4e when I was running my players through some one shots I made, they always had some time pressure. In an investigation they quickly realized that their target would murder again and wanted to stop it, in another they realized there was a ritual they needed to stop. In pathfinder, in the adventure path as things got to higher levels there was an external threat they needed to prepare for. As a player in an adventure path for pathfinder right now every single book has some sort of threat with a timer that we are uncovering, we always feel like we are one step behind and blow through money and spells to get to the next encounter. Having a time limit has been the only way to ensure the players aren't at full strength for every encounter, outside of explicit effects that change how resting works. Even suggestions to change the resting rules don't change the fundamental problem. No matter how you measure and do resting, without some outside force the party can just rest until they are at full strength.

Well.. Nothing has changed from the point that pacing in an adventure is important *and* challenging to do right. This was true in 2nd ed and it's true in 5e too.

What HAS changed, and it's a big one, is a division between "short rest classes" and "long rest classes". Pacing is more important, balancing wise, than it used to be.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Well after six weeks you have finally won through the orc siege and escaped with your lives. You gain no experience for doing so however because as I explained six weeks ago the quest was for you to carry as much of the supplies as you could gather to the next town in order to bolster there defence!

Wait! What are you doing? Unhand me! you just flipped over my Grand Ma Ma's favorite dinning room table! What are you doing with my adventure notes! No not in the fireplace!

mflayermonk

First Post
Well after six weeks you have finally won through the orc siege and escaped with your lives. You gain no experience for doing so however because as I explained six weeks ago the quest was for you to carry as much of the supplies as you could gather to the next town in order to bolster there defence!

Wait! What are you doing? Unhand me! you just flipped over my Grand Ma Ma's favorite dinning room table! What are you doing with my adventure notes! No not in the fireplace!

Why that is like driving an oil tanker away from a horde of bandits, only to find that when the tanker is destroyed, its full of sand.

Remove ads