Rethinking Alignment, Inspiration, and the Great Wheel

Li Shenron

Legend
There is a potential contradiction between strengthening the allegiance to an alignment or two, and wanting to use the great wheel where half the universe is "mildly" aligned. I would rather use maximum 9 outer planes, possibly even just 4 or 5.

Aldarc

Legend
Something adapted from Mystic Odyssey of Theros’ Piety could work.

just a thought.
I have not had a chance yet to take a close look at Theros, but I could see how piety could work for alignment too.

I think the only way to use alignment is to take it too literally - which side you are aligned with. So a character being Good isn't a statement about how they behave, just which team they are on when the gods go to war. Like how Dragonlance used the terms - the "good" guys had the racists and the "evil" side was more goth than actually mean.

This makes a little more sense with a Law/Chaos divide where both sides have a point, but could work for a nominal good/evil split, or a three- or four-sided conflict. But it does require the whole setting to be written around the idea.
That's kinda the main idea here. Embrace the Moorcockian aspects of the D&D Multiverse. You align yourself to Chaos or Law or Good or Evil.

Remove ads