• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

Moon-Lancer

First Post
frankthedm said:
The Lodoss War kobolds are the version.

I thought I was going crazy. First time playing d&d someone said kobold and i said something that made everyones heads turn, then they shouted at me saying it was like a lizard man, not a wolf man.

Glad to know lodoss war didn't get it wrong, and nether did I ;p

Moon-Lancer

First Post
Klaus said:
Actually, no, my picture also has all-black eyes. But you can see the light source reflected in the eyes.

its creating an optical illusion that makes the eyes seem as if they are looking picture plane right. nice speed paint btw.

Klaus

First Post
Moon-Lancer said:
its creating an optical illusion that makes the eyes seem as if they are looking picture plane right. nice speed paint btw.
Thanks. Sometimes the faster strokes are the most natural.

mara

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
D&D kobolds are not, and have never been, bipedal moles who believe their souls are contained in candlelight.

That's neat. How much more to it is there? My WoW playing friends mentioned that kobolds drop melted candles when I asked what sort of random stuff they picked up, but I thought that had to do with mining.

Spatula

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
D&D kobolds are not, and have never been, bipedal moles who believe their souls are contained in candlelight.
They look like reptillian-dogmen that infest mines to me. Just more cartoony, which is the warcraft art style. The candle thing isn't important (and where do their souls get involved?).

mara said:
That's neat. How much more to it is there? My WoW playing friends mentioned that kobolds drop melted candles when I asked what sort of random stuff they picked up, but I thought that had to do with mining.
There's less to it. The kobolds sometimes say stuff like, "you no take candle!" when you attack them. Said candles are sitting on the kobolds' mining helmets. That's about as far as it goes.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
For a visual representation:

040511-mainzel-maennchen.jpg

Okay, that are the Mainzelmännchen... :)

Exactly my first thoughts! Frightning :D

Rechan

Adventurer
Moon-Lancer said:
I thought I was going crazy. First time playing d&d someone said kobold and i said something that made everyones heads turn, then they shouted at me saying it was like a lizard man, not a wolf man.

Glad to know lodoss war didn't get it wrong, and nether did I ;p
Yeah, 2e kobolds were little dogmen, sort've like Goblin:Hobgoblin::Kobold:Gnoll.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Spatula said:
They look like reptillian-dogmen that infest mines to me. Just more cartoony, which is the warcraft art style.
Once you've sufficiently out-leveled them, and won't draw aggro, go get close to them. They're a lot more distinctive than "reptilian-dogmen." They're moles.

The candle thing isn't important (and where do their souls get involved?).
My Google Fu is failing me, but the candles have spiritual significance to them, per one of the quests. They do, in fact, believe they're linked to their souls.

I started WoW in alpha, and back when there were only the human and dwarf lands, I spent a lot of time reading the quests way too closely.

Sorry I came to the party late ....

Claudio, When you get a chance, do me a favor and do another sketch along those lines, but instead of graying the skin tone, try a ruddy earthen tan color, and maybe give them just a hint of pudge, less fey-like. That would be where I see the gnome finally hitting it niche. More hill than forest themed, but much further removed from both elf and dwarf.

Once you start messing around with it, I would love to see where your mind takes you and what your imaginations view of the 'true' gnome might look like. (assuming it doesn't wear a red pointy hat and rate hotels or bedeck lawns.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads