• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rich Baker confirms new look of Gnomes

Traycor

Explorer
DandD said:
Truth to be told, I rather think that Klaus' picture shows a Halfling instead of a Gnome. Which is the problem that the gnomes face all the time...
I don't know... black (vaguely bug-like) eyes, green skin and wild dark green hair. That doesn't feel like a halfling at all. Much more fey and far more alien feeling than a halfing ever was.

Halflings basically feel like small cozy people. This gnome comes off very alien.

Me likey!!! :D

Clavis

First Post
Spatula said:
But... WoW kobolds are D&D kobolds...

And gorgons are not metallic bulls with flesh-to-stone breath!

Actually, in medieval legend they were.
"Gorgon" was used as another name for the Catoblepas. In Topsell's bestiary they are depicted as scale-covered bulls.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Clavis said:
Actually, in medieval legend they were.
"Gorgon" was used as another name for the Catoblepas. In Topsell's bestiary they are depicted as scale-covered bulls.
1607 (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/oddnotes/topsellgorgon.html) is well outside of the Medieval period. And the Greek myths that the word comes from predate that time by quite a bit. But I wasn't aware of the Topsell thing - nice to know that the D&D Gorgon actually has some basis.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
One big difference between the cartoon and Klaus's drawing is the eyes: the cartoon guy seemed to have completely black eyes with no whites, whereas Klaus's just have dark irises. I think that actually makes a pretty big difference in how freaky the gnome looks (and I personally like the no-whites cartoon version better).

Fallen Seraph

First Post
On the matter of gnomes I like the new version, gives it a very impish, fey like persona that I always had WHEN I included gnomes. Many gnomes in my games are almost like classic-gremlins. They skitter about the cities, rummaging through garbage and trash, but know alot, and know how to make and break things.

As for the kobold-debate, I use more dogish ones, but with scales scattered about and slightly more reptilian facial-features.

Wormwood

Adventurer
ZombieRoboNinja said:
(and I personally like the no-whites cartoon version better).
Seconded.

I really like the concept of gnomes being a creepy facsimile of a humanoid, rather than merely a humanoid with creepy features.

Bongo Bigguns

First Post
The_Gneech said:
Unlike gnomes (and dwarves, elves, dragons, etc.), I've never encountered kobolds outside of D&D or its derivatives ...

Yeah. And I've never seen another troll look exactly like a D&D troll either. It's safe to say that the game itself has created specific variations on classical myth concepts.

Ottergame

First Post
gnomescrn3.jpg

Klaus

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
One big difference between the cartoon and Klaus's drawing is the eyes: the cartoon guy seemed to have completely black eyes with no whites, whereas Klaus's just have dark irises. I think that actually makes a pretty big difference in how freaky the gnome looks (and I personally like the no-whites cartoon version better).
Actually, no, my picture also has all-black eyes. But you can see the light source reflected in the eyes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads