D&D 5E Ridiculous Sprinting Build

Chaosmancer

Legend
I don't have Volo's Guide yet unfortunately, but I've seen a few things on the Tabaxi, and building the fastest landspeed character is an amusing exercise.

So, here I go.

Tabaxi race- Base spd 30ft
Monk 20th level- +30 ft
Mobile Feat- +10ft

So, 70ft of movement so far, now to bring in the UA

level 20 Dream Druid, spends all 20 dice to increase speed by +100ft for a minute, and throws on Longstrider for +10

180ft

Turns out Druid does not have Haste as a spell, so I guess we'll go with a potion of haste, double spd

360 ft

Tabaxi Dash, double spd

Move, Ki Dash bonus, Action Dash, 3 movements

Total is 2,160 ft in six second

But I can actually do better, I have a homebrew monk a friend shared with me from Pintrest called the Way of the Winds, it has the following ability "When you use Step of the Wind you can expend any amount of Ki. For every Ki you expend beyond 1, increase your speed by 15 feet. (It does more than that, but that is the important part for this moment)

So, instead of 180 before all the doubling, 19 ki spent gives us 465 ft

Double from Tabaxi, Double from Haste

1,860 ft

Move, Dash, Dash

5,580 ft in six seconds

According to a calculator I found on Google, that is 634 miles per hour. Because we can.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Druid 2 wildshape into a horse for 50 base speed.

Does Wildshape stack with all this? I'm never sure which class abilities stack with wildshape

And, actually, it might make them slower for the Way of Winds build. Using that, the 2 ki you'd lose to go horse gave you +30 ft, Horse is only a 20ft bonus. But, if no way of winds, definitely a buff.

And how can you ki dash and get the dream druid boost?

Ally is using the Dream Druid ability, they use their bonus action twice, you get +50 for 54 seconds and +50 for 1 minute.

Then your character as the monk uses you ki to dash.

Move, Dash, Dash

5,580 ft in six seconds

Tabaxi are Medium-sized, so could potentially be ridden by Small kobolds. If there's a Hasted Kobold Rogue, he could potentially Dash three times on his turn, which means he has four times his normal movement and can ride five steeds on his turn. (Ride one, mount/dismount for full movement cost, ride another, mount/dismount, repeat.) So he could ride five Tabaxis in a turn.

Assuming the Tabaxis go 5,580 feet in six seconds (I haven't checked the details), the kobold travels 5580*5 = 27,900 feet in those same six seconds.

Horwath

Legend
Tabaxi are Medium-sized, so could potentially be ridden by Small kobolds. If there's a Hasted Kobold Rogue, he could potentially Dash three times on his turn, which means he has four times his normal movement and can ride five steeds on his turn. (Ride one, mount/dismount for full movement cost, ride another, mount/dismount, repeat.) So he could ride five Tabaxis in a turn.

Assuming the Tabaxis go 5,580 feet in six seconds (I haven't checked the details), the kobold travels 5580*5 = 27,900 feet in those same six seconds.

As a DM, I would told you that you hit a bumblebee. "rolls 60d6 blunt damage"

I haven't looked it up, but consider Bladesinger. You might be able to mix that with monk levels in such a way as to get better than +30 during bladesong and they can cast haste. It would also be totally legal.

The most impressive build to me would be one that only uses official published options (no homebrew, 3rd party, or UA) and doesn't require any other characters or items to buff you. You can always get ridiculous numbers if you go beyond those parameters.

Slit518

Adventurer
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can only Dash once a round.

So for an example, a Rogue would have Dash as a Bonus Action so they can hit & run, I assume. Though Disengage would work better, as it would avoid AoO.

Last edited:

flametitan

Explorer
I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure you can only Dash once a round.

So for an example, a Rogue would have Dash as a Bonus Action so they can hit & run, I assume. Though Disengage would work better, as it would avoid AoO.

Nope, any extra instance of Dash can be used to add more movement.

Also: +5 levels of Barb +2 levels of bladesinger gives you an extra +10 feet each, meaning your tabaxi raging monksinger with mobile would have a base speed of at least 80 feet, perhaps even more.

EDIT: And 11 levels of monk still have +20 move, so 2 levels of fighter adds another dash through action surge. I get 3040 movement speed, probably more as I do not know the Tabaxi's base speed (apparently my FLGS's distributor dropped the ball and they only *just* secured a copy for me).

Last edited:

Remove ads