D&D 5E Ridiculous Sprinting Build

Chaosmancer

Legend
Wait. They made a race with an increased base speed *and* a double dash ability? That seems like poor design to me.

Sorry, my bad.

The Tabaxi only have a speed of 30 ft, and an ability to double their movement speed for a single turn. I don't remember the name of it, so I called it the "Tabaxi Dash"

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Tabaxi are Medium-sized, so could potentially be ridden by Small kobolds. If there's a Hasted Kobold Rogue, he could potentially Dash three times on his turn, which means he has four times his normal movement and can ride five steeds on his turn. (Ride one, mount/dismount for full movement cost, ride another, mount/dismount, repeat.) So he could ride five Tabaxis in a turn.

Assuming the Tabaxis go 5,580 feet in six seconds (I haven't checked the details), the kobold travels 5580*5 = 27,900 feet in those same six seconds.

... is this an improved version of the peasant railgun?

Mishihari Lord

First Post
The fastest character without dash etc is a Monk Wood Elf or Half -Wood Elf with Mobile then you can get a base speed of 75

And that seems oddly slow. About, 17 mi/hr if I got my math right, and world record 100m dash speed is a shade over 23 mi/hr. I expect top D&D character performance to be in the superhero range, significantly above human capacity.

TallIan

Explorer
Doesn't doubling something that is already doubled, triple the base value (rather than quadruple) - the multipliers are additive rather than multiplicative.

So going back to the OP, your base speed of 180 would be doubled by haste to 360, the doubled by tabaxi ability to 540.

The monks ability would then be 1620

And that seems oddly slow. About, 17 mi/hr if I got my math right, and world record 100m dash speed is a shade over 23 mi/hr. I expect top D&D character performance to be in the superhero range, significantly above human capacity.
Bear in mind that this is a 'combat' speed in which the character can stop or even reverse direction on a dime, avoid attacks etc.
Thinking of it as a 'dash' rather than a 'sprint' might help. An actual out-of-combat race could well have characters going faster, but would be based on Str(Athletics) checks I would guess.

Yes. That was the rule in 3.5.

And now I have to ask. Is it really bad that at level 20 with the support of another level 20 character and a potion of haste you break all records. Those stacking abilites are far from ordinary. They are magical and supernarural and coming from a cat like race... and we know the fastest springing animal belongs to the cat family.
Bearing in mind that you could also caste teleport with much less efford... why wouls you disallow it?

Remove ads