ring of evasion

uriell

First Post
Here is a question for you all rules lawyer :

---- from the DMG -----------------------------------
ring of evasion : This ring continually grants the wearer extreme nimbleness, allowing her to avoid damage as if she had the evasion ability. Whenever she makes a Reflex saving throw to determine whether she takes half damage from an attack, a successful save results in no damage.
-------------------------------------------------------

It seem obvious ( at least from me) that the bearer of the ring, to use "his" evasion ability need to be in ligth armor.
But some of my friends insist that it can be use even in heavy armor, such as a full plate. Your Point of vue ?

Uriell

Crothian

First Post
According to evasion as written under the Rogue and Monk, you have to be wearing light or no armor. So, either the ring offers a more powreful version or they forgot to include that part. Have you checked in the errata?

I'd say you have to be in Light or no armor.

BlindKobold

First Post
The desciption states nothing about armor restrictions. Since this it is not specified, I would say it grants evasion to the wearer no matter what armor he/she/it is wearing.

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
The ring gives the player Evasion "as if she had the evasion ability." If your players can find a description of the Evasion ability that allows heavy armor, then they can use it.

All I could find was the following:

Evasion: If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, the monk instead takes no damage. Evasion can only be used if the monk is wearing light armor or no armor. It is an extraordinary ability.

Evasion: At 2nd level, a rogue gains evasion. If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, the rogue takes no damage with a successful saving throw. Evasion can only be used if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. It is an extraordinary ability.

Evasion: At 2nd level, a shadowdancer gains evasion. If exposed to any effect that normally allows her to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage (such as a fireball), she takes no damage with a successful saving throw. The evasion ability can only be used if the shadowdancer is wearing light armor or no armor.

So no heavy armor unless there is a description of Evasion that I don't know about.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
DMG p76

"Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armot. Some creatures with the innate evasion ability do not face this limitation."

I would say that argues for "If it doesn't say, there's no limit".

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
"Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armot. Some creatures with the innate evasion ability do not face this limitation."

I'm familiar with the quote, but it says "innate", which is enough for me to rule it out - the ring isn't innate (unless you melt it into your flesh?).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:
DMG p76

-Hyp.

Gaining evasion from a ring would not count as an "innate evasion ability".

Remove ads