ring of evasion

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
How do you figure that?

16k for the Resistance. +10k for Semi-Empathic Intelligence with one primary ability - namely, "Possessor has free use of Evasion".

Sure, you have to put up with the occasional semi-empathic tingle. I can live with that. Its Ego will be all of about 6.

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Unfortunatly, many DMs follow Skip's ruling that saving throws always fail on natural 1s, making even ego 6 too high. Plus, many fighter types will have poor Will saves... A Ftr11 with Wis 9 has a Will save of +2! Even with magic items, it's not that great (and many players ignore or downplay the cloak of resistance).

Crothian

First Post
Ignore or downplay a cloak of resistnce? My DM won't allow them because they are way too good. Not that I really blame him.....

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Unfortunatly, many DMs follow Skip's ruling that saving throws always fail on natural 1s, making even ego 6 too high. Plus, many fighter types will have poor Will saves... A Ftr11 with Wis 9 has a Will save of +2! Even with magic items, it's not that great (and many players ignore or downplay the cloak of resistance).

Well, yeah, but don't forget that the Ego 6 item in question is a Cloak of Resistance.

So it has an effective Ego of 2, since it's giving a +4 bonus against its own DC.

And 6 Ego isn't really a particularly dominant personality - it's not until 20 that they automatically assume they're in charge...

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
Well, yeah, but don't forget that the Ego 6 item in question is a Cloak of Resistance.

So it has an effective Ego of 2, since it's giving a +4 bonus against its own DC.

And 6 Ego isn't really a particularly dominant personality - it's not until 20 that they automatically assume they're in charge...

Still, that natural 1 kills you.

Crothian - I almost had to beat my players over the head to convince them to shell out for a cloak of resistance. I've heard other DMs have similar experiences, thiough it's certainly not universal.

Crothian

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Still, that natural 1 kills you.

Crothian - I almost had to beat my players over the head to convince them to shell out for a cloak of resistance. I've heard other DMs have similar experiences, thiough it's certainly not universal.

A measly cloak +2 is worth three feats. Everyone except the monk has a weak save, this cloak helps them all out. All you need is one to pass around. Going up against the dragon and everyone needs a good reflex save, hand it to the Druid. Going up against poison and disease, hand it to the Bard. Going up against things that enchant you, hand it to the Barbarian. Going up against a really powerful Wizard that you really thing no one will live against, hand it to the Monk and listen as he laghs making all his saves by at least 10.

We have one gem that gives +3 to fort saves, which I, as the Bard, am selvishly keeping.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I think looking at the cost of other magical items is not the way to go.

The costs in the DMG are just plain all over the place. Plus, the cost for class abilities or even feats should be extremely high.

I think the key phrase here is:

"as if she had the evasion ability"

What does this really mean?

To me, it means all of the advantages and disadvantages of the ability, not just the advantages.

For example, if we were talking about a Ring of Gaseous Form, we really would not be talking about creatures who could be both gaseous and could attack into the normal plane of existence.

No, we would be talking about what is possible for PCs with the spell.

So, to me, we are talking about what is possible for PCs with the ability of Evasion.

Going beyond this just appears to be incorrect.

You have to remember that a sentence such as "Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armor.” is not in any way meant to handle every single case. In fact, Shadowdancers (who are also limited to light armor with Evasion) are not mentioned, nor is the Ring of Evasion. Does that mean that you can assume that they do not have the same Evasion advantages and disadvantages because this one sentence in the DMG did not explicitly call them out?

I don’t think so.

To me, that is just semantics. I think that creatures who explicitly call out that they do not have the limitation do not. Everyone else in every other circumstance does. To me, it’s not a property of the ability, but rather how non-light armor affects that ability. It’s like damage reduction. It’s not that the creature is not resistant to damage, it’s that a powerful enough magical weapon will ignore that resistance. It’s not that the ring does not give the character Evasion, it’s that heavy enough armor prevents Evasion from working, just like it limits the character’s speed.

In fact, the sentence “Some creatures with the innate evasion ability do not face this limitation” implies an exception to the normal rule and that most creatures with the innate evasion ability (and every other possible case) do indeed face this limitation.

JMO, but nothing else makes sense. YMMV.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Oh my goodness - drop what you're doing, say a prayer, and kiss your loved ones - the world's coming to an end.

I think I agree with KarinsDad.

hong

WotC's bitch
CRGreathouse said:
The real question isn't what the book itself says - we all know it can be interpreted multiple ways. The real question is if it's balanced and priced properly to ignore the medium/heavy restriction.

I don't think it's that much of a problem. The classes that have medium and heavy armour proficiency, and are likely to use it, all have bad Reflex saves anyway. For the same reason, I think limiting the ring to function only in light armour would negate much of its value -- not much point being able to evade, if you have to give up your +1 full plate to do it.

Last edited:

Remove ads