ring of evasion

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Gaining evasion from a ring would not count as an "innate evasion ability".

No, I realise that, but it's a sign that the Light Armor restriction is a class feature of Rogues and Monks. Like the Light Armor restriction on a Ranger's Drizzt feats. Like the Medium Armor restriction on a Barbarian's fast movement.

It's not an intrinsic trait of the Evasion ability.

The fact that they specify for Shadowdancers - who are not the Rogues or Monks referenced in the DMG description of the ability - is another point in favour of "if it doesn't say it, it ain't there".

-Hyp.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Hypersmurf said:

No, I realise that, but it's a sign that the Light Armor restriction is a class feature of Rogues and Monks. Like the Light Armor restriction on a Ranger's Drizzt feats. Like the Medium Armor restriction on a Barbarian's fast movement.

The fact that they specify for Shadowdancers - who are not the Rogues or Monks referenced in the DMG description of the ability - is another point in favour of "if it doesn't say it, it ain't there".

-Hyp.

From what you posted, it would seem that ONLY creatures who have evasion as an innate ability don't face that limitation.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:

Exactly, but you must ignore the part where it says that armor restrictions may not apply, as that's only for innate evasion. Thus, we're back at square 1, and it doesn't work except in light armor/load. :D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
From what you posted, it would seem that ONLY creatures who have evasion as an innate ability don't face that limitation.

Huh? By that logic, only Rogues and Monks are limited.

Where does that leave Shadowdancers?

The quote says Rogues and Monks are limited. The quote says some innate creatures aren't limited. There is no wording either way to suggest which side anyone else falls on.

Some Squibs are Nerfs. Bob is a Nerf. Is Bob a Squib?

a/ Yes.
b/ No.
c/ I don't know.

-Hyp.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Some Squibs are Nerfs. Bob is a Nerf. Is Bob a Squib?

a/ Yes.
b/ No.
c/ I don't know.

-Hyp.

I would have to know what a squib is before I can answer.

I think we're going to have to get a ruling from the sage on this one.

I'm inclined to think it's not restricted. It doesn't say that it is, and there is precident for it not being restricted.

--Little Blue Spikey

Albereth

First Post
So some creatures have an Innate Evasion capability. Which creatures are they? I am not about to go looking for them as searching the MM is not easy :cool:

Now, it is very possible that the creatures with the Innate Evasion do not or can not wear armor. In this case it would be just like having the No Armor portion of the restrictions.

My opinion is that to be able to use the Ring of Evasion one must be in light armor or no armor.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The only creature I could find is the Giant Eagle.

Hmm, I wonder if you can make Giant Eagle barding?

That's the only one in the Monster Manual.

But don't forget Familiars and Paladin's Mounts.

A Mount can use Improved Evasion in Heavy Barding, 'cos it's innate.

And in my opinion, the Paladin on the Mount can use Evasion from a ring in Heavy Armour, 'cos it doesn't say otherwise.

But that's what the whole debate's about, so my opinion is fairly worthless :)

-Hyp.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
The real question isn't what the book itself says - we all know it can be interpreted multiple ways. The real question is if it's balanced and priced properly to ignore the medium/heavy restriction.

Remove ads