• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ring of Force Shield and Two-handed weapons

AGGEMAM

First Post
IceBear said:
For what it's worth, I agree with those that would allow the ring to be turned off, attack with two-hands, and then turn it back on at the end of your turn. Now, I am not sure if I would allow the +2 to AC then, as Thanee has a point with the buckler argument.

That is the whole point!!!

The end of your turn, is just before your next turn. It is that simple, really. And that is why it doesn't grant the AC bonus.

mikebr99

Explorer
IceBear said:
Actually, no, I don't think I would allow allow the +2 to AC after the attack (I would allow the shield to come into existence, but I don't think I would allow it to be weilded). It's really no different than having a magical buckler and attack with a great sword. Sure, at the end of the attack, you could take a free action and take one hand off the sword but the buckler rules clearly state that you don't get the benefits of the buckler on your AC that round.
IceBear

Hey fellow Canadian... GO LEAFS GO!!

back to business...

But would you allow a spellcaster to turn the thing off, cast his spell, turn the force ring back on, and get full AC bonus if attacked later in the round?

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
mikebr99 said:
But would you allow a spellcaster to turn the thing off, cast his spell, turn the force ring back on, and get full AC bonus if attacked later in the round?

You don't have to turn it off at all to cast a spell, if your other hand is considered free, that is.

Otherwise you wouldn't get it there, either.

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
mikebr99 said:

Hey fellow Canadian... GO LEAFS GO!!

back to business...

Well, I am a Canadiens fan (*SIGH*) but I'm cheering for the Leafs now (only Canadian team left)

Now, about the spellcaster...you only need ONE hand free to cast a spell. So, if the caster had the shield in his left and a weapon in his right, if he dispelled the shield and used his left to cast, then no, I wouldn't give him the AC bonus when he resummoned the shield as he has used that hand already this round and doesn't have the time to set the shield for defence (which is why I assume they don't allow bucklers to be used so).

If the spellcaster didn't have a weapon in his right, he doesn't need to dispell the shield to cast anyway so he would get the +2.

IceBear

Last edited:

mikebr99

Explorer
Thanee said:

Well, I'm not in agreement with that! ;)

The spellcaster would get the +2 AC, because the shield does not interfere with spellcasting.

The shield can even be turned on while casting, no problem. The shield would even count against any AoO during the casting.

Bye
Thanee

Hey Thanee...

The Force Shield doesn't interfere with spellcasting BECAUSE it can be turned off while casting...

That is the special ability of the magic item.

IceBear

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:

That is the whole point!!!

The end of your turn, is just before your next turn. It is that simple, really. And that is why it doesn't grant the AC bonus.

I know, I was working out my thoughts on the subject while I typed. I was originally in agreement with Caliban until I started writing my response which was when I realized I agreed with you :)

IceBear

Thanee

First Post
Well, if you use the shield hand for casting, you would probably need to turn it off, therefore it would not count against AoO, yes.

The description states, that it has no arcane spell failure chance.

The description also states, that you have to wield it like a normal shield. A normal shield cannot be wielded (providing AC) while attacking with a two-handed weapon, therefore this does not provide any AC either.

Bye
Thanee

mikebr99

Explorer
From The SRD:
Force Shield
An iron band, this simple ring generates a large shield-sized (and shield-shaped) wall of force that stays with the ring and can
be wielded by the wearer as if it were a normal shield (+2 AC). This special creation, since it can be activated and deactivated
at will (a free action), has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance.
Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, wall of force; Market Price: 8,500 gp.

The special ability is that it can be turned off while its in the way, and turned back on at the end of your turn so it is helpful...

Thanee

First Post
About the buckler reference, it is somewhat similar to the two-weapon fighting feat not working with ranged weapons (under the crossbow entry in the equipment section). In both cases a specialized rule is being generalized.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
mikebr99 said:
From The SRD:
Force Shield
This special creation, since it can be activated and deactivated
at will (a free action), has no armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance.

The special ability is that it can be turned off while its in the way, and turned back on at the end of your turn so it is helpful...

Nope, it's special ability is, that it does not have an armor check penalty or arcane spell failure chance (because it can be activated and deactivated at will).

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads