Ring of Invisibility

irdeggman

First Post
OP - I go with the way you interpret the text.

From the FAQ

What is the duration of the invisibility granted by a ring
of invisibility?

In general, you should assume that any spell effect
mimicked by a magic item treats all variables of the effect as if
it were the spell cast with the item’s caster level. In this case,
the duration of the ring’s ability is the equivalent of an
invisibility spell cast by a 3rd-level caster (the ring’s caster
level): 3 minutes. Of course, nothing prevents a character from
activating the ring’s power more frequently than this (thus
ensuring a constant invisibility), as long as he’s willing (and
able) to spend the actions to do so.

Now the assumption is for any magic item that the caster level is the minimum required to cast the spell - in this case the default would a 3rd level caster.

It is possible to create a ring of invisibility with a higher caster level, but the cost would go up accordingly.

As far as justifying the 20,000 gp cost - well, the DMG talks about "adjusting" prices based on actual worth (pg 282) and look at the prices of the rings in general, especially around the same cost as the ring of invisibility - seems pretty reasonable for a relative "actual value" to me.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I thought there might be an FAQ on it, but it deoesn't particularly change my mind on the subject. Just one of those things everyone has an opinion on, I guess.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
The ring IS grossly overpriced, for sure. Just like Monk's Belt and a lot of DMG items. I recall how a lot of them drastically went up in price from 3.0 to 3.5, only for MIC to reign things in again and bring some sanity back to magic item pricing (funny how things come full circle, eh?). I wouldn't be opposed to continuously functioning. I just don't think that's what it does by RAW.

Jimlock

Adventurer
It's a murky area. I've played the duration as indefinite (until the user attacks anyway).

This text from Magic Item Basics seems to suggest the indefinite duration was intended, but it's hardly conclusive.

I don't see anything murky about it.

Activation
Usually, a ring’s ability is activated by a command word (a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity) or it works continually. Some rings have exceptional activation methods, according to their descriptions.

When there is a command word involved, durations comes into play, when not (or it works continually) the duration is infinite. The ring of invisibility requires activation, therefore, has a duration.

2. Constantly repeating the command word seems silly and antidramatic.

Having an at-will ability with a duration seems annoyingly irrelevant. One round prior to the end of the duration, you just have to refresh it. You're never in combat during that time, the round spent is always an irrelevant factor in whatever you're trying to do.

I disagree. The way I see it, it is much more dramatic and relevant, when a trespasser has to pay attention to when and where he "speaks" (command word) so as to refresh the duration. Timing your "refresh" when going into a castle full of guards and people that might hear you, is very challenging, fun and very dramatic!

...Imagine the trespasser waiting for the guards to make a pass down the narrow hallway, but then... the guards decide to stand/stay close to him and to have a chit chat or whatever have you...

...Now either the space is sealed by doors (opening them might reveal his presence), or the trespasser is lousy at Move Silently so he can't actually risk to move away from the guards so as to speak and refresh the effect...

I LOVE such challenges!!!:)

As for the cost... Come on guys... this is a RING OF INVISIBILITY!!! It SHOULD be expensive!!

...The One Ring was a ring of Invisibility (among other things:p)

Sekhmet

First Post
I disagree. The way I see it, it is much more dramatic and relevant, when a trespasser has to pay attention to when and where he "speaks" (command word) so as to refresh the duration. Timing your "refresh" when going into a castle full of guards and people that might hear you, is very challenging, fun and very dramatic!

...Imagine the trespasser waiting for the guards to make a pass down the narrow hallway, but then... the guards decide to stand/stay close to him and to have a chit chat or whatever have you...

...Now either the space is sealed by doors (opening them might reveal his presence), or the trespasser is lousy at Move Silently so he can't actually risk to move away from the guards so as to speak and refresh the effect...

Face wall.
Place hands over mouth.
Whisper command word.
Refresh duration.
No need to worry about guards overhearing, unless you're less than a foot away.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I always assumed command words were the same volume level as the vocal component of a spell. I recall reading that vocal components have the same Listen DC as the sounds of battle, but I cannot find where the heck I saw that now. All the components section says is: "A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice."

Ahnehnois

First Post
I don't see anything murky about it.

When there is a command word involved, durations comes into play, when not (or it works continually) the duration is infinite. The ring of invisibility requires activation, therefore, has a duration.
The rules issue wasn't whether it had a duration, the issue was what that duration was. As pointed out above, the ring's text makes it somewhat ambiguous as to whether the ring is casting an invisibilty spell (3 minute duration) or making you invisible (anyone's guess). The FAQ apparently goes for that first interpretation.

I can see that angle; that just isn't my style.
(My style breezes through and handwaves these sorts of things. My drama is what happens when the characters reach their destination. This kind of action-based drama is totally valid and fun, however.)

As for the cost... Come on guys... this is a RING OF INVISIBILITY!!! It SHOULD be expensive!!

...The One Ring was a ring of Invisibility (among other things:p)
Well, if Rings of Invisibility were in a low-magic world I guess they'd feel more powerful. In a world where any mid-level spellcaster has options for defeating invisibility, numerous monster abilities make it useless, and any important area is usually assumed to be protected by powerful magic...I just don't see it as being a game-breaking thing. A wand of Invis is 4500. The ring has the advantage of not running out of charges and being usable by noncasters, but I'm skeptical that it's really worth four and a half times as much on that basis.

I don't think I've ever seen a PC use one of these rings; I have them on NPCs every once in a while for convenience. If I were making a character, there's no way I'd send 20,000 gp on a ring that constantly has to be reactivated.

Remove ads