Rings of Power -- all opinions and spoilers welcome thread.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Tolkien's elves can be flawed, petty, cruel and covetous. Take a look at the elves of Mirkwood in The Hobbit, pulling tricks on starving dwarves, imprisoning them, marching an army into other peoples' territory in hope of a share of treasure. That's from the novel, not the movies.
Sure, but even with all of that, they still have a flavor that is distinctly lacking in Rings of Power.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The Numenoreans are close to their fall: wasn't their lifespan reducing as they removed themselves from Eru? So, having the "lower class", mostly King's Men, behaving like regular humans didn't shock me: they are supposed to be, well, Sodome and Gomorrha-level of evil to deserve genocide... But perhaps I missed what you were referring to.
Their lifespans were diminishing, but their technology, physical and mental prowess was not. They ruled over lower men. They did not become them.

Mercurius

Legend
Actually, Jackson's films bot h the Elves.
How so? I'm honestly curious (assuming there's a missing "c" in there). As I said in my critique, the elves are one of the areas that (I think) the Rings of Power goes furthest astray from Tolkien. They're almost closer to Gygaxian elves, to be honest. Jackson's elves weren't perfect, but they clearly showed some sense of Tolkien's elves.

I know nothing at all about S. M. Stirling's Emberverse series, but that's pretty high praise and I'll take it!
At 6:15 pm Pacific Standard Time, March 17, 1998, a sudden worldwide event known as the "Change" alters physical laws so that electricity, gunpowder, steam power, and most forms of high-energy-density technology no longer work.

the Dúnedain Rangers are a semi-mercenary military organization that protects caravans and fights brigands in the Willamette Valley. The Ranger lifestyle is based largely on The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien—which they refer to as "the Histories"—even to the point of requiring all members to learn the Elvish language. Rangers are also required to learn sign language as part of their training. The Rangers operate out of Mithrilwood, which is located in the old Silver Falls State Park, centered upon their settlement, Stardell Hall. The Rangers' flag features a silver tree and seven stars, similar to the royal standard of Gondor as depicted in The Lord of the Rings

I am pretty sure some of you don't share the same definition for what are "Tolkien elves".

And Tolkien elves pretty sure can be mean, I think nobody disputed that they are "good guys". They are as petty as the next guy, from Fëanor being all passive agressive "sure, you can restore the Trees from the Silmarils, but you'll have to take them by force and be no better than Melkor", to his folk and him being genuinely agressive (First, then Second Kinslaying). If one think it was a Noldor thing, then... "Sure, you can marry my daughter who is so in love that I put her in dungeon so she can't go with you, but you have first to bring me.... A SHRUBBERY! Sorry I meant a Silmaril"... Passionate doesn't equal good!

I don't know what gauge to use to put a Tolkien stamp of approval Amazelves, but in my opinion, I wouldn't put Tolkien Noldor above taking the mithril by force if Gil-Galad's diagnostic was accurate, or from spending 3,000 years looking for Sauron at the ends of the Earth or wishing an orc genocide... it's a "not-Galadriel thing", but not a "not-elf thing". Hence I'd be happy with Geraldiniel, the unknown cousin of Galadriel, starring this series.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
How so? I'm honestly curious (assuming there's a missing "c" in there). As I said in my critique, the elves are one of the areas that (I think) the Rings of Power goes furthest astray from Tolkien. They're almost closer to Gygaxian elves, to be honest. Jackson's elves weren't perfect, but they clearly showed some sense of Tolkien's elves.
Yes, botched, sorry, bit ironic there.

Tolkien's Elves are not...whatever was happening in Jackson's films. They are not airy-fairy, they are Biblical or Shakespeareab figures of strength and tragic flaws. The dialog from the Ekves in this show, despite being all original, felt more like the book Elves in tone and delivery, and the absolute psychotic flaws of the Noldor that lead to all the tragedies of the Silmirillion are spot on here in spades.

Remove ads