• ★★ Not Great

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalker0

Legend
Saw it yesterday. It felt like Star Wars to me. It’s got some flaws, sometimes big ones, but it made me laugh, it made cry, it made me cheer.

the last Jedi didn’t do that for me. I was honestly bored through most of it, and therefore felt the need to nitpick it so much more.

Rise worked for me. It’s not a good lesson for making a good movie, but in terms of making me like Star Wars again, it did the job

Derren

Hero
Watched it, sadly, because I am a completionist.

Garbage movie, no pacing, logic holes galore, too much fan pandering instead of having its own ideas and so full of cringe worthy scenes that it could have been a prequel movie (actually I would rate some prequels better than EP9).

Good for people with short attention spans who need constant action and have low standards and are happy with just ever bigger xplosions. But nothing more.

Last edited:

MarkB

Legend
What do people think of Snoke being a clone created by Palpatine? Why do you suppose Palpatine cloned him? Some reviewers have suggested that Palpatine was controlling Snoke but I disagree with that assessment. I suppose Snoke was a useful proxy for Palpatine until he was ready to reveal himself again. He clearly wasn’t a Sith, even if he was a super-powerful Force user.
One thing that occurred to me about Snoke is that maybe he was a failed experiment with short-circuiting the whole "death by granddaughter" thing. Maybe Palpatine tried to create a clone of himself, or simply a customised force-bred being, into whom he could transfer his essence as he planned to do with Rey. Either the transfer failed and left Snoke in his debilitated physical state, or the creation process itself was flawed.

Using Snoke as the nucleus of the First Order was simply a way of making use of the otherwise-redundant material.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Watched it, sadly, because I am a completionist.

Garbage movie, no pacing, logic holes galore, too much fan pandering instead of having its own ideas and so full of cringe worthy scenes that it could have been a prequel movie (actually I would rate some prequels bettet than EP9).

Good for people with short attention spans who need constant action and have low standards and are happy with just ever bigger xplosions. But nothing more.

I too love to insult everyone who has different tastes than I do. :rolleyes:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The Rule of Two hadn’t worked out so well for Palpatine in the long run, whereas clones were a big part of his success. Having a clone apprentice/minion seems like a natural fit and strangely similar to the idea of miniaturizing and proliferating Death Star technology.

And no, I haven’t seen the movie.

Nebulous

Legend
i kinda like The Force Awakens first time I saw it. Then it started sinking in that it was just a remake of ANH with big plot holes, and
I'll have more later, just ... this movie really proves that they needed a real plan for the new trilogy. Making it up as you go was not a good idea.

I hope they do spend a couple years doing just that, have a PLAN and don't hand the reins off to someone and let them do their own random ideas.

Mercurius

Legend
It was OK, entertaining enough. But after the last two films, my expectations were lowered.

The biggest annoyance for me was Palpatine. It was just too...safe, unimaginative. I'm kind of sick of the guy, and it also diminishes the greatest moment in the entire corpus: Darth Vader turning and throwing him over the edge.

A question: Who were all the robed dudes in Palpatine's audience? I mean, there aren't that many Sith, right? And so easily killed off?

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
It was a bit disappointing to have my pet fan theory - that Rey was Anakin reincarnated - shot apart.

Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter doesn't work quite as well... unless, as was implied in Ep 3 and Ep 9, Anakin (and thus the Skywalkers) was Palpatine's creation. In which case the final dyad of Rey Palpatine and Ben Solo-Skywalker destroying the Sith together does close everything up rather nicely.

Luke wasn't entirely wrong to have gone into seclusion. It was time for the Jedi to end. There is a heavily anarchist subtext running through the third trilogy - all through VII and VIII I kept on wondering what's going on elsewhere. What's happening on Coruscant? Corellia? Chandrila? Dac? Eriadu? Kuat? Raaltir? Kashyyk? Malastare? Ryloth? There's this whole galaxy of major Republic/Empire worlds that don't seem to have much of anything to do with this conflict. They destroyed the worlds of the Hosnian system... which had never even come into the story until the same movie in which it was destroyed (admittedly the same could be said of Alderaan at the time Ep IV was made, though it was relevant to the prequels). As one of my friends said... "maybe the galaxy has decided to go on without them"? (Them being the First Order and the Resistance) "Perhaps it's a 'war in heaven', like in Stellaris?" (For those who have never played Stellaris, a War in Heaven is a great conflict between two very advanced ancient empire factions... which often doesn't have much impact on the majority of the galaxy.)

Ep IX confirmed that. "It's not a navy... it's just people." A bit of a cheesy line, but it worked. The huge armada that arrived were traders, local militias, bounty hunters, adventurers, private militaries... the minutemen of the galaxy, who no longer need the Republic, the Empire, the Jedi or the Sith.

Just people. The galaxy can now go it's own way and move on from 10,000 years of stagnation.

That didn't retcon or reject Ep VIII in any way... that confirmed it. It was a rebirth.

To me that was the most brilliant thing about this movie. My problem with the Expanded Universe was that it was a universe locked into the same conflict, the same story, over and over again... fought by the same people.

Ep VIII AND IX said... that ends right here.

Balance was restored to The Force. The Galaxy was liberated, at last.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
It was a bit disappointing to have my pet fan theory - that Rey was Anakin reincarnated - shot apart.

Rey being Palpatine's granddaughter doesn't work quite as well... unless, as was implied in Ep 3 and Ep 9, Anakin (and thus the Skywalkers) was Palpatine's creation. In which case the final dyad of Rey Palpatine and Ben Solo-Skywalker destroying the Sith together does close everything up rather nicely.

Luke wasn't entirely wrong to have gone into seclusion. It was time for the Jedi to end. There is a heavily anarchist subtext running through the third trilogy - all through VII and VIII I kept on wondering what's going on elsewhere. What's happening on Coruscant? Corellia? Chandrila? Dac? Eriadu? Kuat? Raaltir? Kashyyk? Malastare? Ryloth? There's this whole galaxy of major Republic/Empire worlds that don't seem to have much of anything to do with this conflict. They destroyed the worlds of the Hosnian system... which had never even come into the story until the same movie in which it was destroyed (admittedly the same could be said of Alderaan at the time Ep IV was made, though it was relevant to the prequels). As one of my friends said... "maybe the galaxy has decided to go on without them"? (Them being the First Order and the Resistance) "Perhaps it's a 'war in heaven', like in Stellaris?" (For those who have never played Stellaris, a War in Heaven is a great conflict between two very advanced ancient empire factions... which often doesn't have much impact on the majority of the galaxy.)

Ep IX confirmed that. "It's not a navy... it's just people." A bit of a cheesy line, but it worked. The huge armada that arrived were traders, local militias, bounty hunters, adventurers, private militaries... the minutemen of the galaxy, who no longer need the Republic, the Empire, the Jedi or the Sith.

Just people. The galaxy can now go it's own way and move on from 10,000 years of stagnation.

That didn't retcon or reject Ep VIII in any way... that confirmed it. It was a rebirth.

To me that was the most brilliant thing about this movie. My problem with the Expanded Universe was that it was a universe locked into the same conflict, the same story, over and over again... fought by the same people.

Ep VIII AND IX said... that ends right here.

Balance was restored to The Force. The Galaxy was liberated, at last.

This is the kind of content that restores my faith in fandom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases