• ★★ Not Great

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ★ Terrible

Votes: 8 11.1%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larrin

Entropic Good
I saw it last night and while I didn't hate it and didn't love it (though I hated and loved bits and pieces of it), and I thought that was that, but now I'm noticing that I'm definitely moving through the 5-stages of grief with regards to it. I hit anger at 4:30am this morning waking myself up and I'm currently trying to bargain (with myself?) to see if I can't find a better movie in there. I think acceptance is possible for me, and once that happens it'll be a movie I can watch again and take away the things I like and ignore the really, really lousy stuff that made me "grieve".

Zardnaar

Legend
It had some fantastic bits. Leia thing hit meh with Han and Luke it was more of course they did.

Han was no real surprise, Harrison Ford had been wanting to kill him off since 1983.

Almost feels like 3 movies in there. 1st 3rd, 2nd third and the end which was a Marvel super heroes film. It was the final third which was a bit meh.

Leia was handled better than I thought it would have worked with stock footage. Finn and Poe got better writing, they turned in a very good lightsaber duel on Endor.

What makes a good lightsaber duel in Star Wars is the emotional investment in it IMHO, not the CGI used.

Would have like Ben to have survived and sit beside Rey at the end. Same fate as Vader, originality please.

Having the Start Destroyers blow up at the end galaxy wide was a bit silly. The battle was on Exogol.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
This is correct about Abrams, but the more I think about JJ Abrams, the more I think that calling him a consistent B student is over-praising him.

I guess I must disagree... he has one great talent - he can take old wine and make it taste new again for a couple of hours.

Last night, I felt like I was 12 years old, gawking at Return of the Jedi for the first time. Sure, it wore off after the movie ended... but for that time, I was having a ball.

That was worth an $11.50 ticket. Heck, I'd pay $200 for that. It's like a Disney World ride - it may be over quickly, but dang was it a good time while it lasted!

Zardnaar

Legend
I guess I must disagree... he has one great talent - he can take old wine and make it taste new again for a couple of hours.

Last night, I felt like I was 12 years old, gawking at Return of the Jedi for the first time. Sure, it wore off after the movie ended... but for that time, I was having a ball.

That was worth an $11.50 ticket. Heck, I'd pay $200 for that. It's like a Disney World ride - it may be over quickly, but dang was it a good time while it lasted!

He's more like grape juice with vodka added. Might taste alright but not as good as the original recipe he's trying to copy.

Rian Johnson's probably the better director.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Rian Johnson's probably the better director.

Oh, he is absolutely the better director. But it's a relatively known quantity that J.J. Abrams' greatest talent is in invoking nostalgia for older, better works in a way that is usually way more effective than it has any right to be, objectively speaking. See also: Super 8.

Plus anyone who is as dedicated to maintaining the career of Keri Russell as he is deserves at least some props.

pukunui

Legend
Having the Start Destroyers blow up at the end galaxy wide was a bit silly. The battle was on Exogol.
Somebody — maybe Zori? — says at the end when the fleet shows up that the whole galaxy is rising up. That’s what the whole Star Destroyers blowing up everywhere is meant to represent.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Somebody — maybe Zori? — says at the end when the fleet shows up that the whole galaxy is rising up. That’s what the whole Star Destroyers blowing up everywhere is meant to represent.

Plus, this was just the Final Order fleet that Palpatine was building. The regular old First Order had already had pretty solid control of the rest of the galaxy by that point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads