• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue Design and Trapfinding: What do you think of these design choices?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
Make trap finding once again a rogue only skill. Base it not on the search skill, but make it a class ability. Rogues can find/disarm traps on a d20 roll of D20 +int bonus +3 +1/level of rogue. See how often the rogue is left behind then.

Last edited:

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'll throw in here.

I love rogues and roguey sorts. I am often drawn to those classes due to their fun flavor, and because I like the RP associated with them.

That said, I have to agree that in most games I've played, from level 1 to level 20, rogues are way behind the curve in combat performance unless it's a rogue multiclass with a synergetic class. Rogues and rangers work well, for example, as do rogues and "finesse"-built fighters. This is especially true in Pathfinder, as one of the big advantages of rogues is their large list of class skills...which can be gained for a 1 level dip in Pathfinder.

Pathfinder did improve rogues, especially in early levels. It's possible (even mandatory) to get Weapon Finesse at 2nd level now, meaning you only have to get through one level of pain, rather than 2 levels as in 3.5e. The increased HP help with this. The consolidated skill list and reframing of Disable Device as a Dex skill help with this. And Rogue Talents really help push rogues forward as secondary melee/scouts.

It's not until past level 10 or so that I think rogues once again are supplanted by spellcasters. I don't blame this on Pathfinder in particular. High level spells are just...pretty overwhelming. There are very few situations that can't be solved with sufficient damage points of energy. Non-combat situations are usually solveable with a judicious Charm or Dominate. The few times one might need a rogue (say, to climb a tower and sneak into a lord's bedroom to steal a document) can be done more easily via spells (fly up, invisible, dimension door in, use Locate Object and Silence, then dimension door out...with Silent spell or a rod of metamagic).

This leaves rogues as...the untrappers, really, since there are other ways to scout by those levels too. And while everyone likes untrapping, is that really enough to justify a whole other party member?

*shrug*

I dunno. Like I said, I like rogues. I'm just frustrated with how hard it is to make them "useful" to a group of characters. Especially high level ones.

Nice to see some honesty about how effective rogues are as combatants at higher level.

I'm not complaining because I hate rogues. I'm complaining because I like the class. Rogues are conceptually one of the more interesting classes in the game.

I'd like to see some of the old sacred cows about rogues thrown out and the class given the same design treatment as Paladins, Rangers, Monks, and Bards got. The designers seem like they really sat down with those classes and did them up beautifully.

I remember the 3E complaints that the Paladin wasn't that interesting beyond lvl 3. Smite Evil was far too limited. Most people made Paladin fighters because of it. Now the Paladin is unbelievably awesome for playing an evil-killing divine knight that can survive about anything.

The Ranger used to be viewed as too lacking in abilities. It didn't have the feel of a ranger. 3.5 truly made the ranger into a very interesting class that gave you the feel of a light fighting wilderness wanderer that could track better than any class in the game.

The fighter used to be boring. Almost everyone multi-classed to get specialization or took a Prc to make the class interesting. Now the single-class fighter is an interesting class with all sorts of options for creating a powerful fighting style.

The Monk was nice defensively, but not much offensively. And it often didn't feel like you were truly a master of the martial arts. Now you can create monks with unique fighting styles and really feel like you are a master of hand to hand. I made a great grappling monk that was fun as all get up. He was a bad to the bone grappler that could take out about anyone with his awsome grappling skills. Monks built around special maneuvers can really do some neat stuff in a fight that makes you feel like a martial artist.

Bard is one of the most effective support classes in the game if you like that style of play. If you enjoy playing a jack of all trades who always has the answer to how to defeat an enemy or likes to provide the entire group with a very effective power boost, you play a bard.

Then you come to the rogue. The last class that still doesn't get enough love. Not great in combat. Their sole claim to fame is finding traps and sneak attacking. And as great as sneak attack looks on paper, it starts to pale after level 10 or so when the melees can Power Attack and still hit as effectively as you sneak attacking with a flank.

Even stealth-wise the Ranger is the ultimate stealth monkey. Choose underground and forest as your favored terrains and you cover most adventures. The monk and anyone with the stealth skill is on par with a rogue for stealth.

The Inquisitor, Monk, and ranger are all better at Perception. The Inq and Monk because they focus on wisdom. The ranger because of favored terrain and favored enemy.

The rogue gets a raw deal on saves for nothing special in ability other than trapfinding. I hope James Jacobs and his crew finally give the rogue the same treatment they gave the other classes. Really sit down and build a very appealing rogue from 1 to 20, throwing out past sacred cows like one good save or medium BAB, and build a rogue that can do what he is intended to do and still throw down hard in combat without needing his party members to set him up all the time.

Maybe lower the sneak attack damage, but make sneak attack something the rogue can use all the time and seems more like a dirty fighting style with options than an attack he can do only when his party members set him up in advantageous position. Rogue is the only class with such a limitation on their fighting ability. It shouldn't be that way. A rogue should be able to engage an opponent alone like any other class and hold their own with their dirty fighting style.

Make us a rogue worthy of playing 1-20 without feeling like we're missing out by not playing another class or that we're only skill-monkeys.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Don't know if it will fix the Rogue, but in my soon to be published setting, Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story, rogues are represented by the Yakuza, who are an organized criminal institution based on foster father/son relationship, with litigants and accountants and regional bosses over street bosses and gangs. They follow their own code, and do provide beneficial services to the community - local 'law enforcement' of non-yakuza criminals, serve in festivals.

Several of the classes including Yakuza (rogue) will have access to Ki Potential Trait. With some mentorship by a monk, the taking of Ki feat at 4th level, the recipient gains a Ki pool of 2 points which does not increase as a Monk's ki pool, however can take Extra Ki feat, for a total of 3 ki points in pool.

I plan to add a multitude of new Ki powers as part of Kaidan, and rogues can take Ki powers as rogue talent options.

Also unlike OA/Rokugan 3x or CW, there is no Tattooed Monk. In Kaidan, as in Japan, tattoos is considered 'dirty' and pertaining to barbarians and yakuza only, so this means arcane enchanted tattoos are notably worn by rogues. Tattoos are 'magic items' available to Yakuza and Emishi (barbarian), not a prestige class, however.

I'll have to explore possibilities of adding new rogue talents as might be appropriate to better fit the setting.

As members of the Hinin caste, however, yakuza are subject to certain legal limitatons based on caste, as a social penalty.

GP

Last edited:

Starbuck_II

First Post
This is just bizarre to me. In everything I've read and experienced, Pathfinder's rogue got a massive power-up.

(1) Sneak attack (almost) everything.
But lost ability to qualify versus almost everything.
Major stables like Grease, Blink, etc are nerfed to no longer grant sneak attack
(2) Bigger hit die.
(3) Rogue talents.
(4) Consolidated skills list that massively and disproportionately benefits the rogue. (Compare the rogue's skill choices -- Perception, Stealth, Disable Device, Acrobatics, and so on -- to the fighter's -- the fighter still has to take Swim and Climb as separate skills!)

The idea that the rogue is weaker -- or even "as weak" -- in comparison to the other classes is so odd.

But without sneak attack they are bad as Cleric without spells in battle.

Really, they should have made 2 Rogue class:
Executioner and Rogue like Iron Kingdoms did.
Executioner is a full BAB Rogue (D8 HD, less skills), but sneak attack and good BAB. Most people want sneak attack to matter in combat. Basically like a Ranger but sneak attack (but class feature to improve it).
They can hinder foes they sneak attack (-1 hit/defenses, so hit/AC/saves or lower movement, last 1 minute).

Rogue as itself: so those who want a non-combatant with skills can be so.

Beyond that remove the nerfs to sneak attack acquisition. Revised Grease/Blink back to 3.5. etc.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Good ideas, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a singular class that can both reliably sneak attack and be great with skills. Even when rogue can sneak attack, he's often not surpassing fighter or barbarian for damage anyway, all the while having a lower attack and being much squishier.

To reiterate how I'd fix rogues:

-Give a second good save, I'm indecisive if it should be fort or will
-Revert Grease, Blink, splash weapon rules, etc.... to 3.5
-Allow sneak attack against all but total (50%) concealment. Basically, incorporate Shadow Strike into the sneak attack text.
-Bonus to a select few skills that scales with rogue level to establish rogue as the best with them. Not sure how much or often, but I'm defaulting to pick one skill every 3 levels, and each selected gets a +1 per 3 rogue levels. Alternative idea: Freebie bonus feats to pick up the +2/+2 skill bonus feats.
-Introduce a clunky new system :))) for higher levels to give the rogue a new daily resource to spend on accomplishing epic level skill checks. I have the basic system outline figured out in my head, could post it if people want, just needs fine tuning.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
-Give a second good save, I'm indecisive if it should be fort or will
I'm leaning towards fort. It's good against poisnons and I'm not sure about a "strong willed" rogue...
-Revert Grease, Blink, splash weapon rules, etc.... to 3.5
What was changed with blink and splash weapons?
-Allow sneak attack against all but total (50%) concealment. Basically, incorporate Shadow Strike into the sneak attack text.
Definitely.
-Bonus to a select few skills that scales with rogue level to establish rogue as the best with them. Not sure how much or often, but I'm defaulting to pick one skill every 3 levels, and each selected gets a +1 per 3 rogue levels. Alternative idea: Freebie bonus feats to pick up the +2/+2 skill bonus feats.
The bonus to selected skills is what I'm leaning to.
-Introduce a clunky new system :))) for higher levels to give the rogue a new daily resource to spend on accomplishing epic level skill checks. I have the basic system outline figured out in my head, could post it if people want, just needs fine tuning.
I'd be interested in reading it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I'm leaning towards fort. It's good against poisnons and I'm not sure about a "strong willed" rogue...

There's two things about making it will over fort:
1. No matter what, a rogue will want a decent Con score for hp, but as it stands, rogues aren't known for their wisdom and will saves is basically THE reason a rogue doesn't sink his wis score. So I think good will saves would be more useful to the rogue, and also it'd be less of a power boost, since most would consider the fort save the "most important" one. It also makes Rogue end up a little more different than ranger, another sneaky high skill class with good fort and reflex saves.

2. It may seem strange at first, but would it later? In 3E Paladins were a fairly wise class. In PF, they get good will (on top of charisma to saves) and all class features based on wisdom were moved to charisma. I have yet to see a PF Paladin with a wisdom above 7, it's just such an awesome dump stat for them now. It was a bit of a system shock at first, but I've mostly gotten over it now. And rogues already have a bit of "strong willed when they need to be" flavor: the slippery mind rogue talent. Also, my favorite skill monkey class ever, the Arcana Evolved Akashic, has good will saves only and has a strong emphasis on the power of the mind, so I think that helps make it seem more feasible if you reflavor rogue a little, too.

What was changed with blink and splash weapons?

Blinking no longer makes opponents you attack lose dex to AC, thus you cannot sneak attack with it. Blink and Grease were 2 of the only ways in core for a ranged rogue to get SA after the first round. As it stands now, all they have left is greater invisibility (if the enemy doesn't have the senses to foil it) and blinding the enemy (functionally the same effect, but good luck getting a good save DC from a wand/scroll, and PF nerfed the bejeesus out of glitterdust).
Splash weapons simply gained text saying you can't do precision damage with them on the primary target. In core 3E, tossing acid flasks was a useful ranged rogue tactic, as if you qualify for sneak attack (they're flatfooted), you're now attacking flatfooted touch AC. For lots of acid damage.

I'd be interested in reading it.

I'll post it later. :)

EDIT: The will save thing basically boils down to "I want to reduce Rogue's MAD, and I like the idea of making wisdom the Rogue's biggest dump stat."

Last edited:

Mojo_Rat

First Post
StreamOfTheSky said:

in the case of the skills I think you can already do that with talents I donut have my books handy but pretty sure a number of rogue skills can get large boosts with select talents.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Ok, this is far from complete, but I wanted to post something for now, to get the basic gist across. This would be a new class feature and daily resource for rogues, I'm thinking level 11 is a good spot for it. Basically it gives the Rogue a list of abilities he can choose from as he wants (though I'm limiting any individual ability to one/day), so long as he has the required skill ranks. Generally there is no check involved, the ability just plain works. Other times, often when an opposed roll is involved, the skill check is made in full instead of at some sort of insanely massive penalty. This is both to speed up gameplay (no need to roll and see if it works) and because I think it's fair to have high level daily resources being reliable. And it's a hell of a lot simpler to write up. Keep in mind:
-No rogue can possibly keep all his skills maxed, I'm not assuming a skill rank requirement of 15 means a level 15 rogue will always be getting access. I was working on the rough assumption that a Rogue will have X skill ranks on average around level X +/- 2. Also...
-The rank requirements I have are totally arbitrary so far. Higher DC epic skill uses obviously generally got higher rank requirements, and I tried to factor in usefulness, power, and in the case of some skills like Appraise a "pain factor" (it's a weak skill, even requiring double digit skill ranks in it to begin with is probably enough to keep many away).
Here are some converted epic skill uses and a few custom made ones I've come up with so far. Acrobatics ended up being massive because it just happens to include 3 big skills that are heavily roguish.

[sblock]Epic Skill Usage: A number of times per day equal to 1/2 Rogue level + Intelligence modifier, a Rogue can make use of one of the following skill applications, though she must have the required number of skill ranks. No one skill application can be used more than once in a day, no matter how many uses of this ability the Rogue has remaining. Unless stated otherwise, each application is nonmagical, even when duplicating a spell effect. The action required is noted for each listing.

Appraise
10 ranks: The Rogue can determine the properties of a magic item (if any) as if using the Identify spell. This requires 10 minutes of uninterrupted study.

Acrobatics
10 ranks: By rolling to absorb the impact the Rogue can automatically treat a fall as if it were 20 ft shorter than normal. Each rank above 10 allows her to ignore 10 more ft of falling distance (70 ft at 15 ranks, for example). If she has 18 or more ranks, she can ignore the damage of a fall from any distance. (Immediate)
11 ranks: For one round, the Rogue can balance on a hair or similarly thin/flimsy surface and move across it at half speed. With 13 ranks, the Rogue can move at full speed. With 14 ranks, she can walk across liquid or any other surface at half speed, or full speed if she has 16 ranks. (Free)
12 ranks: The Rogue can stand from prone as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. (Free)
15 ranks: The Rogue can accomplish a vertical leap equal to her check result, instead of 1/4 the result, and suffers no penalty for not taking a running start. She falls after performing the jump if she does not reach a surface and takes appropriate damage. (Free as part of the action to jump)
17 ranks: The Rogue can Air Walk for one round, as the spell, at full speed. If she ends her turn in the air, she falls. (Free)
19 ranks: The Rogue can seemingly push off from thin air itself. By using this ability the Rogue is entitled to make a jump check, even if airborne, in the water, or in some other location where it would be logically impossible for her to perform a jump, and is treated as if she had a running start while doing so. (Free as part of the move action of the jump)

Bluff
11 ranks: The Rogue can display a false alignment of her choice when subject to alignment-sensing effects. Once set, the false alignment remains as long as the Rogue is conscious and awake, or until she dismisses it (a free mental action). (Full round)
13 ranks: The Rogue can attempt an opposed Bluff check against the target's Sense Motive check. If successful, the Rogue implants a Suggestion in the target, as the spell, except with a duration of 10 minutes. Others can sense the effect as if it were an enchantment spell (DC 25 Sense Motive). (Standard)
16 ranks: The Rogue can disguise, mask, or falsly display her surface thoughts to fool spells such as Detect Thoughts, and can make her intelligence appear to be as much as 10 points higher or lower than it actually is. Once activated, the effect remains in place for up to 1 hour. (Immediate; can trigger upon being subject to a detection effect)

Diplomacy
19 ranks: Upon changing a creature's attitude to Helpful, the Rogue can activate this ability to make the target instead Fanatical for 1 minute. A fanatic will readily risk his life if you ask it of him. This is an enchantment (mind affecting) ability. Once the duration expires, the target's attitude towards you changes to unfriendly, or hostile if he was unfriendly or hostile before using Diplomacy, and you cannot further alter his attitude with uses of the skill. (Swift; used immediately following the successful check)
PF completely changed Diplmacy, back to the drawing board on this one.

Disable Device
8 ranks: The Rogue may attempt to disarm a trap in 1 round. (1 round)
11 ranks: The Rogue may attempt to disarm a trap or open a lock as a move action. (Move)
15 ranks: The Rogue may attempt to disarm a trap or open a lock as a free action. (Free)

Disguise
10 ranks: You can adopt a new disguise as a full round action by taking a -10 penalty on the check. (Full round)
14 ranks: The Rogue can change her apparent height and weight by up to +/- 50% as part of her disguise with no penalty on the check. (1d3 x 10 minutes)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads