D&D 5E Rogue Subclass Idea

ManBagel

Messing up everything in DnD since 2019
So I thought of making a rogue subclass that is time focused. If you could give ways to reword or ability changes that would be great. This is a really rough draft of abilities, and ideas for changes would be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Roguish Archetype: Journeyers
Some Rogues have a changed view of time. These Rogues are known as Journeyers for having knowledge that is from distant future. Most Journeyers go insane for not being bound to one timeline. Journeyers are odd for there powers. No one, not even Journeyers know where there powers come from. Some are born with small glimpses into the future that don’t help. Later breaking you from the timeline. Maybe you found a magic item that gave you your curse. You don’t pick being a Journeyer, Fate does.

Déjà Vu
At 3rd level you have the ability to jump back in time. When you finish moving on your turns you can use your reaction to jump back to where you were at the beginning of the round. If you use your reaction to jump back you gain a second reaction to use. If you attack and hit before using this ability you have the weapon out with blood if it’s a melee weapon.

Presents of Time Bending
At 3rd level, Your presents bends time to slow around you allowing you more time to dodge and move out the way of attacks your AC is equal to 10+Dexterity Modifer+ Charisma Modifier.

Slowed Time
At 9th level You have mastered slowing time. As a Reaction you can slow time for yourself. This lasts for a minute and you gain the following benefits.
•You gain the benefits of Pact Tactics.
•You deal extra damage equal to your proficiency bonus.
•You have advantage on Dexterity Saving Throws.
You regain this ability after a long rest.

Timeless
At 13th level you can choose what age you are at any time. Magic that changes your age doesn’t work on you unless you allow it. You can not be affected by surprise.

Time Stop
At 17th level you have learn the basics of stopping time. As a reaction you can take 1d4+1 extra turns. During this stop of time you can deal sneak attack damage once. You have advantage on attack rolls and any enemies that are trying to hit you fail. You are stunned for 1 round after using this ability and you can’t use it again until you take a short rest.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I would change the Presents of Time Bending feature to Intelligence rather than Charisma. Rogues are rewarded for Dex and Int instead of Cha.

The Slow Time feature at 9th level is fine, but rogues are not long rest characters. I guess they get their hit dice back every time the rest of the party takes a short rest. I would think about being able to allow another PC to re-roll a check or attack some number of times or maybe grant the whole party a long rest 1/day rather then just himself.

I would also like to see something with advantage on History checks since they are from the future. Also something where they can teleport some, maybe with misty step 1/rest.

Fanaelialae

Legend
So I thought of making a rogue subclass that is time focused. If you could give ways to reword or ability changes that would be great. This is a really rough draft of abilities, and ideas for changes would be helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Roguish Archetype: Journeyers
Some Rogues have a change there view of time. These Rogues are known as Journeyers for having knowledge that is from distant future. Most Journeyers go insane for not being in one timeline. Journeyers are odd for there powers. No one, not even Journeyers know where there powers come from. Some are born with small glimpses into the future that don’t help. Later breaking you from the timeline. Maybe you found a magic item that gave you your curse. You don’t pick being a Journeyer, Fate does.
It's interesting conceptually. A rogue unstuck in time. Just curious, but any chance that some inspiration for this came from the show Journeyman?

Déjà Vu
At 3rd you have started to break away from the stream of time. You start to grasp how to push yourself back in time. As a reaction you can rewind time back 6 seconds or 1 round of combat. You can use this ability equal to your proficiency bonus. You regain uses after a long rest. Everyone takes there actions, but attacks against you have disadvantage and you have advantage on attack rolls.
If this works like I think it does (undoes everything that happened in the last round) this seems like a bookkeeping nightmare. The only way I could maybe see it working is if you were using a VTT where everything is logged, and even then it seems like it would be a PITA.

Also this is incredibly powerful for a low level ability. Enemy crit you? You fumbled an important attack? No problem, just rewind!

Maybe instead, you could have the character designate a square that they occupy or move through. Then they can "rewind" themselves to that square.

Or maybe this allows them to reroll an check/attack or force another creature to do the same.

Presents of Time Bending
At 3rd level, Your presents bends time to slow around you allowing you more time to dodge and move out the way of attacks your AC is equal to 10+Dexterity Modifer+ Charisma Modifier.
This is probably okay, although it might present a tempting dip for warlocks.

Slowed Time
At 9th level your body and mind’s perception of time slows. You can gain the benefits of a long rest in one hour instead of eight hours. You regain the use of this feature after a proper long rest.
This one might be too powerful. I'm on the fence. On the one hand, the rogue doesn't get a lot of daily abilities. On the other hand, the game assumes one long rest per day and this allows you to take two (one during a short rest and one during a long rest). This one worries me for it's potential for abuse.

Timeless
At 13th level you can choose what age you are at any time. Magic that changes your age doesn’t work on you unless you allow it. You also can do a Charisma Check + Your proficiency bonus to see into the future. The check is equal to 15+Every 30 minutes you want to see into the future. You can do this check equal to your proficiency bonus before having to take a long rest. If you fail the check you get information from a different timeline.
I like the first part (altering your age and immunity to aging effects). It's interesting and thematic.

I'm not even clear how the second part would work. Wouldn't the DM need to be psychic to tell you what your future holds?

Minor Time Stop
At 17th level you have learn the basics of stopping time. As a reaction you can take 1d4-1 extra turns. During this stop of time you can deal sneak attack damage once. You have advantage on attack rolls and any enemies that are trying to hit you fail. You are stunned for 1 round after using this ability and you can’t use it again until you take a short rest.
Not a good ability. Just for starters, it has a 25% chance to do nothing and stun you. The rest is probably fine, but work some more of the Time Stop language into the ability.

ManBagel

It's interesting conceptually. A rogue unstuck in time. Just curious, but any chance that some inspiration for this came from the show Journeyman?
No I have never heard of that show. I was trying to come up with a name that made sense that wasn’t Time Stopper. If anyone has a different name you can comment.

ManBagel

The reason why it’s Charisma not Intelligence is because it makes very little sense. Charisma if I remember right is your presence, force of personality. The point of it being charisma is because your presence keeps you there in the moment. You are being pulled by a current of time, but since you are starting to break away your presence keeps you there.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Do you have a name idea? That’s the only one that I could come up with that made sense. You journey through time was the idea for the name.
I'll let you know if I think of something, but I don't have any suggestions I think are great.

Journeyer isn't bad.

Watcher might work if you don't mind a bit of a pun.

Remove ads