• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue to Fighter? Well, maybe...

NightOwl

First Post
Current Character: 6th lvl Human Rogue
Feats: Improved Initiative, Dodge, Mobility & Weapon Finesse (Shortsword)

Thinking of adding a couple levels of Fighter (if what follows is right)...

*At 1st lvl, he would gain 2 additional feats (?)--would take Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting

*At 2nd lvl, he would gain 1 additional feat (?)--would take Spring Attack

Also upon reaching 2nd lvl Fighter status, this would make him an 8th lvl character with a total base attack bonus of +6. This would mean that he would gain an additional attack at +1 with his primary weapon?

If he's using 2 weapons, does this mean he would get 2 attacks with the primary weapon and 1 attack with the secondary weapon in each round? If so, what would his attack bonuses be?

With a light weapon in the off-hand, the Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting feats his penalties would be -2/-2. So, his base bonuses would be at +3/-1? Does Dexterity affect those modifiers? How does his Weapon Finesse feat work here?

His current ability scores are:

STR-10, DEX-17, CON-14, INT-12, WIS-12, CHA-13

Thanks for the help-

NightOwl

Crothian

First Post
If you take a level of fighter you only get one feat, the feat for a first level fighter. All characters get a feat at first level but onlt once. Take a second level of fighter and you also get anothere feat. And when your BAB is +6 you get aa second attacks at +1.

If you use two weapons with a BAB of +6 (asumming you have both feats and using a light weapon in your off hand) you nowe attack at +4/-1 for the main hand and +4 for the off hand (add in all other bonuses).

Christian

Explorer
The only error that jumps out at me is that the two fighter levels only give two bonus feats, not three. (The other feat for a 1st level fighter is the feat that every 1st level character gets-but you only get that at the 1st character level.) So the Spring Attack wouldn't turn up until 9th level.

With a BAB of +6, your character does get a second attack at +1. With two weapons and the TWF and Ambi feats, he gets an extra attack at his highest bonus with the secondary weapon and a -2 to all attacks, so that's +4/+4/-1. Weapon Finesse applies to both hands (assuming he has a shortsword in each hand, the weapon he took the feat for), so that totals +8/+8/+3.

This is a pretty good plan for a Rogue, especially one who's often in melee looking for flanking sneak attacks. That +3d6 for his 6 Rogue levels applies to all three attacks in a full attack action, although he may have trouble maintaining flanks with only 5' steps ...

sty

First Post
get some strenght!!

The feats are all right!!!
At 1st lvl of ftr (7 th caracther): 1 bonus feat = ftr and 1 feat for caracther lvl! ok! two-wep-fgt and ambdex .
At 2nd lvl of ftr (8th caracther): 1 bonus feat for ftr! ok! spring atk.

Well you BAB now is: +6 (+4 as rougue and +2 as ftr)

So, you have two atks: +6 (BAB + str mod) / +1 (BAB -5 + str mod)
But with the short sword (wep finesse) : +9/+4 (+6 + dex mod)

When you fight with two wepons you have the adjustments: -2 for each hand because of the feats and they are light wep.

I think you are thinking of fighting with two short swords!!!
(wep finesse for both of them)

Then your atks will be:
+7/+2 (almost sure that the -2 aplies to the second atk) to the first wepon
and +7 off-hand wep (if you have any str it would be half damage to the second atk).

But in the PHB there is something about when you use wep finesse you can´t wear shield because its too heavy for you to use dex (or something like that, I´m not with my book).... but it´s 2 light wepons... so I don´t see any problem...

I think you should get some gloves of ogre power or the giant str belt to make some more damage in your enemies besides sneak atk!!!! :))

It´s my first reply....
so sorry for anything...

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Re: get some strenght!!

sty said:
At 1st lvl of ftr (7 th caracther): 1 bonus feat = ftr and 1 feat for caracther lvl! ok! two-wep-fgt and ambdex .
Gaining a level of fighter gives you one bonus fighter feat. Look at the fighter's chart in the PH. The normal feat everyone gets at first level is first character level. This character will not get another regular feat until he reaches 9th character level. He will get another fighter bonus feat when he gets a 2nd level of fighter, though.

Well you BAB now is: +6 (+4 as rougue and +2 as ftr)

So, you have two atks: +6 (BAB + str mod) / +1 (BAB -5 + str mod)
But with the short sword (wep finesse) : +9/+4 (+6 + dex mod)

When you fight with two wepons you have the adjustments: -2 for each hand because of the feats and they are light wep.

I think you are thinking of fighting with two short swords!!!
(wep finesse for both of them)

Then your atks will be:
+7/+2 (almost sure that the -2 aplies to the second atk) to the first wepon
and +7 off-hand wep (if you have any str it would be half damage to the second atk).
These numbers are correct.

Aven

First Post
they are NOT allright

Originally posted by sty

Ummm, what? You do not get a character level feat at 7th character level. you get one at 1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th. Thus upon taking your first level of fighter (7th character level) you will get one feat; the fighter's bonus feat. you will again recieve a bonus fighter feat upon reaching second level as a fighter (8th character) and then a character level feat upon reaching 9th character level.

Had trouble following what you were trying to say about BAB's, christian seems to have it down pat tho.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Christian added one too many to the base attack for weapon finesse. The character's dex is 17, so he adds +3 to his attack rolls with short swords. The base is correct at +4/+4/-1, so the total should be +7/+7/+2.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Well duh just take a level of ranger, then a level of fighter. You get more skill points, a racial enemy, a version of ambidex and two wepaon fighting, then a bonus feat with that 1st fighter level for that spring attack feat(note no two weapon attacks while spring attacking), oh and you get track thrown in as a bonus.

Ooops sorry the powergamer in me crept out.

Limper

First Post
Actually Shard that works fo a couple of reasons. The skill selection for ranger is complimentry to the rogue list so thats very nice. You get the Two weapon feats, Tracking and a favorite enemy and another +2 to fort save (getting you closer to being able to take the better toughness feats if you wanted to). Then you take the two levels in fighter.

Clvl 7 ranger 3 feats

Clvl 8 fighter 1 feat and a tasty +6 BAB for 3 attacks (off hand included)

Clvl 9 fighter 1 feat for fighter and 1 feat for lvl9

So 6 feats in three levels

Levels 1/2/6 still no penalties since he's human lots of combat edge and can now go back to Rogue lvls.

It's really a good idea all in all. Use the ranger class to bridge the gap between rogue and fighter.

Christian

Explorer
Dr. Zoom said:
Christian added one too many to the base attack for weapon finesse. The character's dex is 17, so he adds +3 to his attack rolls with short swords. The base is correct at +4/+4/-1, so the total should be +7/+7/+2.

Durf. I'd edited out a paragraph with some dumb stuff in it, but it also had the sentence where I assumed he used his 8th level bonus ability point to bump the Dex to 18. Thanks, Doctor Z.

Remove ads