• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rogue to Fighter? Well, maybe...

Dog Faced God

First Post
Re: Thanks & A few more questions...

NightOwl said:
First of all...THANKS for all of the info, suggestions, etc.!

[Limper: It's really a good idea all in all. Use the ranger class to bridge the gap between rogue and fighter.]

You might want to consider this a bit more. You're going to be looking at an experience penalty if you take one level of Ranger and more than three levels of Fighter.

NightOwl

First Post
Re: Bribe the Wizard...

Hey Old One!

Old One said:
Nightowl -

I would bribe Quinten Farsail into creating a bunch of Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength potions for you:D! (Sorry everyone, inside joke).

Another option, which lends even more flexibility, would be to go:

[*] Rogue 6/Ranger 1 - Pseudo-Feats of TWF, Ambidexterity and Racial Enemy
[*] Rogue 6/Ranger 1/Fighter 1 - Spring Attack + increase Dex to 18
[*] Rogue 6/ Ranger 1/Fighter 2 - Combat Reflexes and Quickdraw (1 bonus fighter feat + every 3rd level feat)
[/list]
This combination allows you to use a reach weapon (ransuer, longspear, glaive) to deliver punishing sneak attacks while maintaining standoff. If an opponenet closes, you drop the reach weapons and pull the shortswords.

The low strength remains a problem, but could be counteracted by buffing spells or a magical reach weapon (although I know how stingy your DM is ;)).

~ Old One

LOL! That would be GREAT, but what are the chances of THAT happening?! Besides, I'm sure Quinten wouldn't do it "out of the kindness of his heart!" ;)

THANKS for the suggestions! And you're right...the DM's been extremely stingy in this campaign! I know you guys have been conferring alot about the game...maybe there's a connection there??? :D

Uller

Adventurer
The only problem with taking a level of Ranger and Fighter is that if you decide you would like to eventually attain 4th level in Fighter to get Weapon Specialization, you must also increase your levels of Ranger to at least 3rd or suffer an XP penalty.

Lela

First Post
Uller said:
The only problem with taking a level of Ranger and Fighter is that if you decide you would like to eventually attain 4th level in Fighter to get Weapon Specialization, you must also increase your levels of Ranger to at least 3rd or suffer an XP penalty.

Though, if you're not planning to take Weapon Spec this would still be a good idea. Plus, if your DM has a monster that he seems to like (gnolls in Old One's case ;) ) then you would get the +1 to hit and damage. And a really cool RP thing going on.

Lela

First Post
Plane Sailing said:

I'm sure what you *really* meant was +1 to certain skills and damage...

Cheers

Just looked it up. Yep, you're right. Looks like I get to lesson the effect on one of my players now. Thanks.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
I would go with the strict Ranger here - it works out better with the skill point factor.

Now - if the skills aren't an issue - by all means go with what the Old one had stated.

Myself... I would have gone with a wizard... and placed an EXTREME emphasis on finding scrolls, spellbooks, and increasing your spellcraft score. Spend your feats on those nifty "craft magic this or that"...

Unless the GM is extremely stingy with the GP ... it won't matter how much He tries. You other players just have to let the wizard get some much needed xp when the time comes. Besides, custom crafted magic items ARE worth it - right?

Gromm

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
Unless the GM is extremely stingy with the GP ... it won't matter how much He tries. You other players just have to let the wizard get some much needed xp when the time comes. Besides, custom crafted magic items ARE worth it - right?

Well I don't know about that, the DM can easily shut you down by not giving you any down time, or worse yet attacking you in the middle of the creation process.

If you can find a place and the rest of the party works to keep you safe, however, there isn't much else he can do (unless hes deliberately trying to screw you over- in which case you've got bigger problems).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Gromm said:

Well I don't know about that, the DM can easily shut you down by not giving you any down time, or worse yet attacking you in the middle of the creation process.

If you can find a place and the rest of the party works to keep you safe, however, there isn't much else he can do (unless hes deliberately trying to screw you over- in which case you've got bigger problems).
There's another quite sensible thing he can do: Insist that you don't need GP, but rather rare materials of some sort (of a value equal to the GP).

Remove ads