Rolled In-Order Scores: Rogue or Cleric?

estralita

Villager
Okay I'm signing up for a Death House adventure, and the DM asked us to roll multiple sets of 3d6 in order. After a few tries, I got one I think I can work with:

Str:5
Dex:15
Con: 8
Int:4
Wis:15
Cha:10

I was looking out for a potential Rogue build, and this set has enough Dex to pull it off, but I want to consider my options as best I can. Cleric for example.Basic concept is a raised by wolves (but not a Druid, we're stating at level 1, and I'm not very fond of the class!) mute, with no understanding of language or civilization. Any advice in how to pull this off would be appreciated.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm not one to often tell people how NOT to play. But in this case? Don't, just don't. What is not being able to speak, understand speach, or even how to interact with the rest of the party going to add to the game?

How will anything in the coming campaign be relevant to you with this setup?

As for being a rogue? Sure, you've got the dex. So what? You can't effectively scout for the other pcs. You won't understand any trap you find, let alone why you should disarm it. You're not trying to steal anything - not understanding society, this stuff doesn't hold any meaning. So unless your like a crow just picking up shiny bits....
And why would you be wearing armor, using weapons, etc?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Your stat allocation is below the minimum recommended "amount"; you likely won't last long no matter what you pick.

I'd say for survivability, your best best is actually Nature Cleric (since Druid's off the table). Nature Cleric can make decent work with the Shillelagh cantrip (turning every club/staff into a d8 magic weapon, keyed off Wis) and can wear heavy armor if found. I'd say grab a shield and unga bunga to your heart's content.

You can always multi-class into rogue, if you last that long. :3

delericho

Legend
Okay I'm signing up for a Death House adventure, and the DM asked us to roll multiple sets of 3d6 in order. After a few tries, I got one I think I can work with:

Ouch. That's one you can work with?

I was looking out for a potential Rogue build, and this set has enough Dex to pull it off, but I want to consider my options as best I can. Cleric for example.

Given those stats, I'd probably go for Cleric, perhaps with the Criminal background (thus getting bits of both)?

Basic concept is a raised by wolves (but not a Druid, we're stating at level 1, and I'm not very fond of the class!) mute, with no understanding of language or civilization. Any advice in how to pull this off would be appreciated.

I'm with [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] - I'd suggest rethinking this, though perhaps not for the same reason. Ravenloft relies quite heavily on a certain tone being maintained, and really needs all the players to buy into that. I fear that the "no understanding of language or civilisation" would clash really quite badly with that tone.

At the very least, you should discuss that with your DM.

RulesJD

First Post

I was looking out for a potential Rogue build, and this set has enough Dex to pull it off, but I want to consider my options as best I can. Cleric for example.Basic concept is a raised by wolves (but not a Druid, we're stating at level 1, and I'm not very fond of the class!) mute, with no understanding of language or civilization. Any advice in how to pull this off would be appreciated.

Honestly, if you're committed to those stats, I would go with a Monk build. Human Variant to get Toughness at level 1 to make up for your crappy Con. Boost Dex and Wis and you've got a pretty strong Monk.

ravenkith

First Post

This creature needs to die in a fire.

ccs

41st lv DM
Ouch.I'm with [MENTION=6803664]ccs[/MENTION] - I'd suggest rethinking this, though perhaps not for the same reason. Ravenloft relies quite heavily on a certain tone being maintained, and really needs all the players to buy into that. I fear that the "no understanding of language or civilisation" would clash really quite badly with that tone.

At the very least, you should discuss that with your DM.

Yes, though I was mocking/commenting on the idea of being a rogue, that's my point. Being a mute with no concept of language or civilization just won't work in a RL adventure. (it doesn't really work in any other game either, but....)

Stats like these are why I prefer AL play over home games. I would much rather trade away the possibility of starting with an 18 to being able to point buy my stats and having no starting stats below 8 allowed.

However, since these are the stats that you've decided to work with, I'd strongly reconsider your stance on Druids. A Moon Druid/Monk build would mitigate your pisspoor Con score by relying on your Wild Shape for HP and allow your good Dex/Wis scores to factor into AC of both your humanoid and animal forms.

Also, how do you plan on casting any spells with a V component if you're mute? That drastically reduces the amount of spells that you can cast. I'm okay with people playing suboptimal builds for added character flavor, but shooting yourself in the foot for the purpose of flavor is unacceptable. Instead of going for the mute angle, spin your communication skills as being like the character Nell. Your character has a language all of its own, which would function similarly to your current concept without removing your ability to cast most of your spells.

Another class route that you could consider going is Beastmaster Ranger, with your combat skills going towards archery and your pet assisting you in scouting.

As for race, go VHuman to boost your Dex/Wis up to 16s. Take Sharpshooter if going Ranger, otherwise go for Toughness.

Lejaun

First Post

I say go for it. Stats in D&D are one of the things people worry far too much about. A player roleplaying well trumps any stats (unless you have a DM where optimizing is the only way you will have a chance of living).

I like the cleric angle myself. You are wise, with average charisma and very nimble on your feet. Your time devoting yourself to your god, however, has left you as a weakling and you've always neglected your studies. In fact, you are so devout to your god that you tumbled down several flights of stairs while trying to understand some greater meaning from your god. The result of the fall was a body broken and battered, resulting in a very nasty hit on the head that has forever left you slower than your peers and unable to really articulate words well anymore. In addition, your broken body has made your weak body even weaker.

agreenspan

First Post
You should ask your DM if you can just use point buy (27 points) or standard spread (15 14 13 12 10 8). These are very fair and balanced ways to build a character.

Remove ads