D&D General RPG Theory and D&D...and that WotC Survey

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
It is really easy to assume that your experience was the common experience or representative of some larger truth.

Agreed.

That said, despite the fact that I am pushing back on some of the assertions of @Lanefan .... I am sympathetic to Lanefan's feelings. It's part and parcel of the process of getting old maturing.

At a certain point, you realize that a lot of things just aren't made for you. That you are no longer the target market. That people are discussing popular musicians or artists or influencers(?) you might not have heard of.

And yeah .... it does suck. Don't I count? I mean ... I have money and disposable income. What about me and my interests? It's just the circle of life, you know? One day you are insanely cool, and the next day .... you just aren't. Sorry.

But the thing is ... it's a great time to be alive. If you like the old stuff, the old games, the old rules ... well, they are more accessible than ever. It is easy to reach out and find people with shared interests, and it is easier to find and locate things from 10, 30, and 50 years ago.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
"analysis" and "assumptions" are not equivalent words and an argument based on that false premise is guaranteed to be, well, false.
"Arbitrarily" and "internal analysis" from their write-up of the market study don't really work together either. That's one of multiple reasons I interpret their "internal analysis" as being based largely on their own assumptions. Their history of not listening to their market (as I point out Dancey criticized) and stated desire to keep the study to a manageable size and profile really don't give me a lot of confidence that the internal analysis was based on more than assumptions.

Their survey was interesting and useful... but had its power to infer information about the whole D&D market, as opposed to the 12-35 segment, hampered by its bias.

Aldarc

Legend
Agreed.

That said, despite the fact that I am pushing back on some of the assertions of @Lanefan .... I am sympathetic to Lanefan's feelings. It's part and parcel of the process of getting old maturing.

At a certain point, you realize that a lot of things just aren't made for you. That you are no longer the target market. That people are discussing popular musicians or artists or influencers(?) you might not have heard of.

And yeah .... it does suck. Don't I count? I mean ... I have money and disposable income. What about me and my interests? It's just the circle of life, you know? One day you are insanely cool, and the next day .... you just aren't. Sorry.

But the thing is ... it's a great time to be alive. If you like the old stuff, the old games, the old rules ... well, they are more accessible than ever. It is easy to reach out and find people with shared interests, and it is easier to find and locate things from 10, 30, and 50 years ago.
As a milennial who spent his entire childhood getting bombarded with corporate advertisements from products that thought the way to win our milennial hearts was to make everything "XTREME!!!" as if we represented their shallow idea of Generation X, I longed for nothing more than for corporations to stop marketing to me. If it takes aging to liberate myself from being the target market, then so be it.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So here's the thing -- I saw the same text as everyone else about who they were and weren't including in their survey. Absolutely regardless of that, I don't for a hot buttered moment believe that they didn't use the data of people over a specific age. Maybe not for the specific marketing decision about which the quote was referencing, but they still looked at the responses and drew conclusions (of some kind). Surveys are too expensive not to. If they didn't draw any hard, usable conclusions from that age group's data, it would be because the response rate was low enough that they didn't feel that the data could be trusted to be representative of that market segment as a whole. Bottlenecking in survey data is a real issue, particularly when someone from a niche sub-group can notice that the survey exists and get all their friends to go take it, making their voice unrepresentatively prominent.

The maxim of that notion is something I've seen plenty of fellow greyhairs espouse--right up until it comes back to mean them. :p
I mean, they straight up said that the personality profiles they developed were true across age brackets, so they probably checked those, at least.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
As a milennial who spent his entire childhood getting bombarded with corporate advertisements from products that thought the way to win our milennial hearts was to make everything "XTREME!!!" as if we represented their shallow idea of Generation X, I longed for nothing more than for corporations trying to market to me. If it takes aging to liberate myself from being the target market, then so be it.
Sorry about that XTREME stuff.

Remove ads