RPGs as Stories, or Board games?

Which tradition of D&D do you find most true in your games?

• Our group prefers the Wargaming/Boardgaming style.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Our group prefers a more story-first style.

Votes: 89 74.2%

Shemeska

Adventurer
Story all the way. I view DnD as less a game of rules and crunch than I do as collaborative storytelling between friends.

I honestly find myself impatient with the rules at times, and I may deviate from them heavily if I find them clunky. I'm glad to have a group of players who enjoy the same style, or at least put up with me. If I was running for strangers I'd have to honestly try to be patient with them if they approached it from a wargaming/tactical style as opposed to mine.

I may go sessions without combat and a minimum of dice rolling, but I may also have times with tons of combat. However that combat is very fluid and not detailed on a grid or battlemap down to the last placement of caltrops. I play very fast and loose with the rules, but I try to be consistant about it for both players and NPCs.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I picked the Wargaming choice because that fits my style and what I like.
But I do the storytelling bit as a player in a group because that is how that group plays.
I also don't mind it when I DM since it is somewhat part of the game.

Basically I use the storytelling aspect to tie the war/boardgaming together.

Story is first but the group do want win with newer and greater abilities and powers. So I guess it's both. Often the story can be hidden within the combat meta-gaming.

Remove ads