• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGs as Stories, or Board games?

Which tradition of D&D do you find most true in your games?

• Our group prefers the Wargaming/Boardgaming style.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Our group prefers a more story-first style.

Votes: 89 74.2%

Shemeska

Adventurer
Story all the way. I view DnD as less a game of rules and crunch than I do as collaborative storytelling between friends.

I honestly find myself impatient with the rules at times, and I may deviate from them heavily if I find them clunky. I'm glad to have a group of players who enjoy the same style, or at least put up with me. If I was running for strangers I'd have to honestly try to be patient with them if they approached it from a wargaming/tactical style as opposed to mine.

I may go sessions without combat and a minimum of dice rolling, but I may also have times with tons of combat. However that combat is very fluid and not detailed on a grid or battlemap down to the last placement of caltrops. I play very fast and loose with the rules, but I try to be consistant about it for both players and NPCs.

KB9JMQ

First Post
I picked the Wargaming choice because that fits my style and what I like.
But I do the storytelling bit as a player in a group because that is how that group plays.
I also don't mind it when I DM since it is somewhat part of the game.

Basically I use the storytelling aspect to tie the war/boardgaming together.

Story is first but the group do want win with newer and greater abilities and powers. So I guess it's both. Often the story can be hidden within the combat meta-gaming.

Remove ads