• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules Compendium

Colmarr

First Post
From the wizards excerpt:

If a creature is immune to charm, fear, illusion, or poison, it is unaffected by the nondamaging effects of a power that has that keyword.

Is that the first time that's been explicitly stated? I recall seeing numerous debates about exactly what "Immune illusion" meant...

From the wizards excerpt:

If a creature is immune to charm, fear, illusion, or poison, it is unaffected by the nondamaging effects of a power that has that keyword.

Is that the first time that's been explicitly stated? I recall seeing numerous debates about exactly what "Immune illusion" meant...
It is in the latest update IIRC.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Its this

The default buy for any new player from Essentials on should be Rules Compendium, and 1 month subscription of DDI.

And or this

The default buy for a new player is Heroes of the fallen lands and the RC.

But gods forbid we don't say that the PHB has been "replaced".

Looking forward, I don't think we can really be sure how the fighter that uses daily powers will return to an updated print product.

Scribble

First Post
But gods forbid we don't say that the PHB has been "replaced".

Well, since they indicated it wasn't going out of print I wouldn't say "replaced" either.

It might not be as important for new players, sure, but not replaced.

Maybe it's place in the game has been modified?

Now it kinhd of I'd say sits in a similar place to some of the splat books. More options for players of the game.

Looking forward, I don't think we can really be sure how the fighter that uses daily powers will return to an updated print product.

Since the book is still out there, and they've indicated new print runs will happen when needed, I think this is just a matter of if the player sees the book, thinks the concepts are cool, then he will probably buy said book.

Just like every other game book out there.

I really doubt I'm a weirdo when it comes to my buying habits- I remember when I was playing 2e AD&D and buying Unearthed Arcana because I thought the Barbarian was a cool class.

Buying the PHBI and using the stuff in it is even easier because it's even designed for the same game. :p

Players buy stuff because they think it's cool.

We argue about how new books will effect those players because... We think it's cool? I dunno.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They have kind a sort a indicated that there might be an errated PHB at some point.

I guess my point is that at that point, a point when everyone has the compendium, just doing a PHB reprint will be sort of pointless, and they will do something else.

They have kind a sort a indicated that there might be an errated PHB at some point.

I guess my point is that at that point, a point when everyone has the compendium, just doing a PHB reprint will be sort of pointless, and they will do something else.

I sort of agree. A LOT of what is in PHB1 is going to be irrelevant to people that also have a Rules Compendium etc. Basically you would want the classes and races and maybe feats that aren't in the newer books. The rest of it would be just outdated material. Even if it was brought up to the current rules with full errata it would STILL be redundant material. It would make more sense to bring out a book that was just the PHB1 classes. For that matter you might as well do the same thing with PHB2. It would probably be quite feasible to make a book that had just ALL the 'classic 4e' classes, races, etc in one book.

But who knows, we can be sure of only one thing, different people think differently...

shamsael

First Post
The default buy for any new player is going to be a PHB. It has everything somebody can play D&D with.

I disagree. I think most new players, assuming Essentials is properly marketed, will either get a Red Box or, if they are joining an established group, skip the Red Box and HotFL or HotFK and learn the "rules" from the group as they play the game. The Rules Compendium will be secondary to the other two books and a definite DM/Referee/Rules-Lawyer buy.

I disagree. I think most new players, assuming Essentials is properly marketed, will either get a Red Box or, if they are joining an established group, skip the Red Box and HotFL or HotFK and learn the "rules" from the group as they play the game. The Rules Compendium will be secondary to the other two books and a definite DM/Referee/Rules-Lawyer buy.

You also have to consider that the GM Kit + Heroes does not have the FULL rules system, only a watered down amount of the rules. So I guess that will push a fair few people to get the compendium.

Remove ads