(Rules-Meta-YB) YB Items

Berandor

lunatic
"When we get html re-enabled" ??

If!

However, while I am not really convinced of items, I would at least say that if you give them away, they retain one power.

Berandor

Jackal

First Post
Well as far as the point of not getting enough yen for non sash players, why don't we give 1 yen to the winner of a fight as a prize. That way those that win will at least get one yen plus any they got during the match. But it still might make sash players too powerful.

Of course we could always get rid of the sash tree and we won't have any problem. :)

Zappo

Explorer
I think yen should be about as rare as they are now. Yes, sashes will have a clear edge. So what? Since they are focused on possession, the fact that one of their sources of power comes from an item seems just appropriate. If you think they become too powerful, nerf their other powers, but remember that those 15-25+ yen it takes for the second, third and more powers are a helluvalot even for a sash; not everyone is like GD. And if they spend those yen in an item - they can't spend them in a fight to purchase powers.

My suggestion: trash the part about the item losing a power when you drop a tier. It is already bad enough to drop a tier, without having to lose the 35 yen you spent for your item's last power as well. Yes, you would end up being a little more powerful than another fighter of the same tier, but that would only become an issue if you dropped several tiers, which is very, very, very unlikely. At least, you could make it so that the lost power returns when you go up a tier again. In that case, however, you should force the player to choose one of the 'strongest' powers - ie, one of the 'at-will' ones.

Also, I would consider the possibility of letting a given item retain its powers - however, in any one fight, a fighter with more than one item should declare at the beginning which one he is going to use. It seems difficult that a fighter gives away his item, and it seems even more difficult for a high-ranking fighter to give away his very powerful item. And the possibility to actually exchange and give items makes for very good plots, or at least very good money.

The only bad scenario I can foresee is the high-ranker who retires and presents his yellow belt protegee with a katana of fist of fury with three signature styles and poison blade - that would suck. But since the low-tier rule above kicks in, all but the two least powers would be negated until the fighter climbs some more ranks. The yellow would have two extra sig styles, big deal - he could have them anyway if the high-ranker just gave him some yen to make his own item.

Wicht

Hero
well, well, items have generated more discussion then any of the other rules - thats good :)

I think the consensus seems to be to leave yen fairly rare. I also think that just removing one of the Sash's "purchased power" (at the 6th tier if IIRC) should help make it more balanced. If the sash seem over or under balanced we can always tweak the path a bit later.

I could see to leaving an item with one power if given away, but it really seems just as easy to give someone an item and 5 yen. As far as an item losing a power if you go down a tier - that is only if you have a fully charged item and if you do, it seems that if you lose a tier it was probably through poor choices - assume a 4th tier with an item with 4 powers - assuming not everyone is going to have the advantage - the guy with the fully charged item has quite the advantage. Still if enough think the power should just be suppressed then that is fine. However, if that is the case, then why not this: when you list an item and its powers, you must list them in the order that the powers were bought. This might allow too for players to purchase powers for their item that they cannot yet use, but which they will "come into" when they advance their next tier. I might suggest too that using colors it would be easy to see which powers are active, for example

Gamera: Turtle sig, Volcano sig, Sneaky trick

In the above case, sneaky trick has been purchased ahead but may not be used. Would this be an agreeable way to go? It does add to the bookkeeping would be my only complaint - but its not a lot of book keeping.

Kalanyr

Explorer
If Sash fighters are focused on money and possessions and items cost money aren't they like a more powerful version of a Sash's purchased powers? Would it work to remove the Sash's purchased power abilities and give them an extra available tier on their items so they can put in more powers ? As opposed to having two abilities that are virtually the same.

reiella

Explorer
That's part of the problem Zappo, GrayDoom advanced in huge chunks of 30 and 40 yen award packets...

Yen isn't rare... At least it wasn't largely because of the Pawn Shop. Since we keeling off the pawnshop, that's a good idea.

One suggestion, expand the Style bonus to also include yen moves (although I'd say a +2 cost there, as the chance for a yen to show up is 1 in 35 as opposed to a style/locations roughly 1 in 50).

For when you lose a tier, I suggest the last power that was added with that tier just be 'deactivated' until you regain it (if you sell it, or whatever, it clears still but).

Also, the trouble of conversion powers (which have a rather high tendency to lower you one tier).

Also possibly some mechanic for changing out the powers already placed in the item? Maybe half the cost for the tier of the power it's replacing? or half of the cost for the 'highest tier' power in the item?

Hmm that would work ya Wicht.
Keep the majority of hte accounting (ie, the specific order) in the fighter reg thread though just to try to keep clutter out.

Wicht

Hero
reiella said:
One suggestion, expand the Style bonus to also include yen moves (although I'd say a +2 cost there, as the chance for a yen to show up is 1 in 35 as opposed to a style/locations roughly 1 in 50).

The sash already gain this without items - though I guess it could be duplicated and made stackable. Also since its already a sash power - sash could get it easier, but other paths would have to pay the extra 5 yen.

For when you lose a tier, I suggest the last power that was added with that tier just be 'deactivated' until you regain it (if you sell it, or whatever, it clears still but).

That does seem to be the consensus.

And what - no comment on the fact I made your turtle potentially useful now? ;)

Wicht

Hero
So how many are for being able to give an item fully charged to another and how many prefer the item to be strictly personal, losing all power when given away?

Remove ads