(Rules-Meta-YB) YB Items

Rathan

First Post
I'm gonna have to go with niko on this subject..I think... with the acception of sashes.... it should be a choice of yen or ranks for the other paths to power items...... with sash...seeing as they lose rank very easily i'd say just yen for them.....but for everyone other path..I'd say losing rank or subranks for an item is a good idea because again it will slow down advancement for those who chose to do so...... as well..it might keep items in the hands of higher tiers..... seeing as how they have more ranks and subranks to forfit for an item....

what do you all think??? should we be able to spend ranks and/or yen to purchace items???

Yen. Definitely Yen. If not, you might as well scrap the money concept completely and make a "sash"-rank void of "real" money.

I don't think the Sash is going to become too powerful. I realize they were the "brokenest" path in 1.0, but it is another ball game. The flow of Yen is completely different. For one, there is no mercenary tactics any longer, second Sash'll need to keep yen to buffer their losses, third, everybody else is going to put their money into their items as soon as they can, thus, the sash can't pick quite as much from people as they used to. But most importantly; the sash can't buy powers inside fights any longer!

I believe the rules as presented by Wicht is on a whole balanced. I say "Go!"

Zappo

Explorer
I agree with LHH, both on sashes and on the rules being balanced as they are. However, I'd really like to have the possibility to give and receive items, and to make one-shots. I still point out that a tournament with an item as prize will be impossible, for example...

Sabaron

First Post
I'd prefer items to be strictly personal.

Will it be possible to make different powers from the standard ones, so long as you (Wicht) believe they are well-balanced and the player is willing to change it if the item is found to be broken later?

The specific example I was thinking of is the Blood Cloth I bear. I'd like it to have some power against the people I've marked with it (defeated in battle). Naturally, it'll start clean after the reset. I was thinking something along the lines of "Sabaron negates the first flag struck against him by foes marked with the Blood Cloth", similar to Dead Healthy, but more limited. What do you think of this power?

Berandor

lunatic
Yen should be used to power items. Only Yen. Otherwise, I wouldn't really see the reason for yen anymore; items are the only thing that keeps me on yen course.

Items that become one-shot items when given away is a nice idea, Niko.

players should definitely be kept at one item each.

Berandor

Wicht

Hero
Phoenix8008 said:

What about this for one-shot items? (This may be too harsh for some but I sense that Wicht might therefore like it. :D) THERE ARE NO ONE SHOT ITEMS! A fighter can create an item like normal and use it permanently forever more (once per fight I assume, even though this is not spelled out in the above rules as I remember and it should be limited thusly IMO), UNLESS he gives the item away. The person who was given the item may use any of it's powers ONCE, draining the item of that power forevermore. Therefore one-shot items are just permanent items that the creator gave to someone else who get to use the power once since the creators spirit isn't there to keep empowering it. What do you all think of that?

Now this I could go for :)
That is if others like it - and IMO provided the item can not have more charges than the person has tiers and once the charges are used it remains a "real" item and thus a person cannot have both it and another item.

Also - I was just looking at the Sash path again and if you go back, and read what I wrote then, I said the Sash path at early stages had the advantage of making money easier and thus being able to buy an item easier. I did try and balance the path with items in mind actually from the get-go. Compare the fight changing powers of the sash to those of other fighters and I think you will see the sash lose out power wise... But can still make Yen more easily.

Wicht

Hero
Sabaron said:
I'd prefer items to be strictly personal.

Will it be possible to make different powers from the standard ones, so long as you (Wicht) believe they are well-balanced and the player is willing to change it if the item is found to be broken later?

The specific example I was thinking of is the Blood Cloth I bear. I'd like it to have some power against the people I've marked with it (defeated in battle). Naturally, it'll start clean after the reset. I was thinking something along the lines of "Sabaron negates the first flag struck against him by foes marked with the Blood Cloth", similar to Dead Healthy, but more limited. What do you think of this power?

Powers like this are interesting and I really think we should have some powers unique to items - the main problem is working out how to pay for them, how they work, etc. in a simple and standard manner

Zappo

Explorer
Wicht said:
Now this I could go for :) .
Ah-hem. Phoenix's proposal implies exactly what *I* said about one-shot items.
Zappo said:
I would make them cost as if they were the first power of a permanent item - 5 or 10 yen for your path's powers, 10 or 15 for powers out of your path.
:D

Last edited:

Wicht

Hero
Ah-hem. Phoenix's proposal implies exactly what *I* said about one-shot items.

Yes I guess it is close to what you said :) in which case I agree with you too - but the only difference being he made it clear they are only temporary when you give them away. The way you worded it made me scratch my head and wonder why anyone would choose to make the temporary item at the same price. ;)

Zappo

Explorer
Wicht said:
Yes I guess it is close to what you said :) in which case I agree with you too - but the only difference being he made it clear they are only temporary when you give them away. The way you worded it made me scratch my head and wonder why anyone would choose to make the temporary item at the same price. ;)
Because they'd be able to give them away, and because in my original text I proposed to let them be used even by a fighter who already has a "signature item".

But the final effect is the same - to make a one-shot item you spend 5 to 15 yen, depending on the power and whether it's in your path.

With that kind of cost, it is impossible for people to hoard them to the point where they become a balance issue. They are terribly, horribly ineffective, cost-wise. I think it should be allowed to use them in conjunction with a fighter's permanent item ("signature item"). Otherwise, only fighters without items will be able to use them!

Remove ads