D&D General Rules vs. lore preferences in D&D sourcebooks?

What is your preferred ratio of rules to lore in a Dungeons & Dragons sourcebook?

• No rules, only lore - I just want story ideas, I can make up my own mechanics.

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Less rules, more lore - Lore is the major draw for me, but I want some rules to represent it.

Votes: 13 14.8%
  • Mix of rules and lore - A sourcebook isn't worthwhile unless I get about the same amount of both.

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • More rules, less lore - Rules are the major draw for me, but some lore suggestions are fine.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • Only rules, no lore - I just want the mechanics, I can make up my own stories.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

JEB

Legend
Poll's all finished here, but I replicated it on rpg.net, r/dndnext (with crossposts to r/dnd and r/dnd5e), and r/dungeonsanddragons. (I would have also posted it in r/dndbehindthescreen, but they neither allow crossposts nor polls.) I'll collate together all the results in another week.

As for here, interesting to see that while a mix is the dominant option, more rules/less lore is not far behind. And absolutely no one preferred all-rules no-lore sourcebooks, which genuinely surprises me (I'm positive I've seen support for that expressed here before).

Last edited:

JEB

Legend
24 hours since I posted the rpg.net and Reddit versions and there are already 724 votes! Unfortunately, you can't see Reddit votes unless you vote yourself, and obviously I can't vote again, so the trend will have to remain a mystery for now...

Remove ads