• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rulings on Ray of enfeeblement

Slaved

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Compare that with the level of the spell that grants +2 on attack rolls and damage.

Why? Aren't bonuses and penalties counted differently in d&d? Does that spell that grants +2 to attack and damge come with a chance to not work?

At low levels I'd probably still go with color spray most of the time. I do really like using ray of enfeeblement on hydras though, that is a lot of fun.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
While this is certainly true, I don't see where it has any practical effect.
How often do you see empowered and maximized cure spells in play, anyways?
Heal is 6th-level. An empowered cure serious wounds is better than a cure critical wounds (average 33), which is otherwise your highest level spontaneous cure spell (for maximum healing, obviously mass version have other benefits, but will heal much less per person). Thus, I think you'll see this quite often. In fact, I see it every time I play my 14th-level cleric. :)

Diirk said:
2nd ? Or 1st in the case of a cleric of sufficient level, but to be fair by then the ray of enfeeblement will be doing more than -2 attack/damage.
2nd, as in, bull's strength. If +4 STR is fair at 2nd spell level, why is up to -11 STR fair at 1st spell level? I'm not talking caster level, but spell level.

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Heal is 6th-level. An empowered cure serious wounds is better than a cure critical wounds (average 33), ...

It better be, it's one level higher (the comparable empowered Cure Moderate Wounds is pretty close). :)

(for maximum healing, obviously mass version have other benefits, but will heal much less per person).

Yep. And they have to compete with the Mass Vigor spells. ;)

Thus, I think you'll see this quite often. In fact, I see it every time I play my 14th-level cleric. :)

Ok. :)

I see more Heal spells than any cure spells at these levels... in combat, anyways.

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
2nd, as in, bull's strength. If +4 STR is fair at 2nd spell level, why is up to -11 STR fair at 1st spell level? I'm not talking caster level, but spell level.

It's a range from -6 to -11 not just -11, otherwise you are talking 4th spell level. And you have to hit. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
It better be, it's one level higher (the comparable empowered Cure Moderate Wounds is pretty close). :)
Ah, sorry, I left out empower cure critical wounds, because my particular scenario (my cleric) has a lesser rod of empower, not the feat. So, he cannot empower cure critical wounds. My example in that case is flawed because of that.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Thanee said:
I see more Heal spells than any cure spells at these levels... in combat, anyways.
I rarely prepare 2 heal spells. It's usually 1. With the empowered cure serious wounds, I find I have other options for my sixth-level slots.
Thanee said:
And you have to hit.
I don't recall the mage IMC missing with a ray in a long, long time. :)

Thanee, can you compare RoE to bull's strength? Is the "attack roll" really such a big factor to make up for the different in penalty/bonus? Is the lower limit of '1' that much of a factor either?

Legildur

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't recall the mage IMC missing with a ray in a long, long time. :)
Neither do I. But then the mage doesn't fire a ray when there is cover to beat and/or when firing into melee (he doesn't have the Precise Shot feat).

evilbob said:
Really? I thought all penalties stacked with themselves.
Yes, normally they do. However, you also have to take into account spell stacking, and when you have two or more spells with the same effect in different strengths, the stronger one overrides the weaker.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads