D&D 5E Sane Magic Item Prices

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
That could be cool, but at what point do you sacrifice accuracy? Imagine driving down the highway at 60 MPH and trying to hit a road side with a paint gun, even one that fires multiple pellets. While driving. In addition, as tough as dragons are, they do have long necks. If they're even slightly off on grabbing that snack and accidentally hit the ground with their lower jaw, they're going to have a really bad day.

All depends on the fiction of course. An eagle snatching a fish is probably going around 20-30 MPH, but in part that's because unlike dragons they have to rely solely on the lift provided by their wings; they have to maintain that speed to stay aloft. Even then, they can only lift about 10 pounds.
You apparently never grew up (and probably shouldn't have) driving down the road throwing beer bottles out the driver's side window over the car roof and hitting speed signs.

Much to current me's shame.

Stattick

Explorer
Yeah, I think that needs to be handled away from the grid-based 3e/4e/5e combat system.
You could hack something together pretty easily, probably not suitable for something on the fly though. A strafe at 66 mph would be about 600 feet per round if I didn't screw up the math. So for PCs with long distance attacks (long bows, spell snipers, etc), they could get in two attacks. For PCs with ranged attacks of more moderate distance, one attack. You'd just want to make sure that you had assigned more realistic flight speeds to other things, and had the ability to quickly look up flight speeds for things no on your list. You'd also want to make sure you knew how to handle likely shenanigans the PCs might try (I'm going to dimension door with the barbarian onto the dragon's back...! I'm going to polymorph into a griffon and try to grapple the flying dragon...! Gust of Wind to try to knock him out of the sky!)

After a brief flurry, let the PCs reposition, and prep for the next strafe, assuming the dragon comes back and that they're not chasing it somehow. Drop any spells of short duration, ask if anyone needs multiple rounds for anything. Decide how long it is until the dragon returns, and then do it all over again.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases