Savage Worlds

Mokona

First Post
What are the rules like in the Savage Worlds RPG system? Is it a d20 variant?

Has anyone read or played the Pirates supplement for Savage Worlds? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Spanish-S2P10300-Savage-Worlds/dp/0976360195]Amazon.com: Pirates of the Spanish Main RPG (S2P10300; Savage Worlds): Paul "Wiggy" Wade-Williams: Books[/ame]

bagger245

Explorer
Try googling for the fast play called Savage Worlds Test Drive methinks.. SOrry,
too lazy to do it for you...
The system seems fast and fun, but I got turned off by the usage of cards..

Baumi

Adventurer
Savage Worlds is an awesome non-d20 system that you can easily test with the Test Driver rules (Pinnacle Entertainment Group Downloads) or with the rule book (just 10 bucks for a COMPLETE system, there is even mass- and vehicle combat included and a handfull of monsters!).

The Pirates of the Spanish Main uses the same system but it is a standalone product .. so it includes all the rules that you need for the setting in addition to the setting specific fluff and crunch.

Engilbrand

First Post
I played in a Savage Worlds: Deadlands game. It was a lot of fun. It was much different from d20. It's a much more open system, I think. Sometimes it's nice to just have a total of 4 or 5 things to choose from for everything. "I hit." "Roll Strength (or Body or whatever the stat's called.)" "I climb." "Roll Strength." "I try to convince him." "Roll Charisma (or whatever.)" It's pretty neat.

Thanee

First Post
What are the rules like in the Savage Worlds RPG system?

They are about like this.

The Pirates of the Spanish Main setting is pretty neat, have only flipped through the book, though.

If you are interested, the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition is the way to start ($10 for a complete game).

It's definitely not like d20.

It's based on the old Deadlands system from Pinnacle. Savage Worlds is, basically, the third edition of that rules set, simpler, more streamlined and turned into a generic rules set.

There are a few really good setting books out there, Deadlands: Reloaded, or The Savage World of Solomon Kane, for example.

-> Homepage

Bye
Thanee

Volsung

Explorer
I've run one Pirates of the Spanish Main game, and it was pretty fun. Character generation ended up being day of, and took less than an hour for the three player's who had never read the rules before. While not a d20 game the flow of combat reminded me a lot of my AD&D days, nice and fast., but with a little bit more tactical depth. GM prep was pretty easy, too.

The book is very well-done, true to the genre convension, and contains everything you'd need to quickly throw together a game in setting.

I also have the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition. Which for $10 is surprisingly complete, including the aforemention vehicle and mass combat rules, as well as chase rules, and rules for powers (superpowers, superscience, magic, etc.) and gives you tools for covering a number of different genre's. Well worth the price. If I had enough time to GM, this is probably the system I'd run.

I'd recommend grabbing the Test Drive rules and download one of the nummerous one-sheet adventures from PEG's site and just start playing.

GlassJaw

Hero
Savage Worlds is awesome. A ton of fun, plays very fast, and cuts your prep time down significantly compared to d20/D&D.

Check out the Pinnacle site and their forums - great community and very helpful.

Inferno!

Explorer
I think one of the things that will take some getting used to for someone from d20 is combat. Savage Worlds combat doesn't involve whittling down a huge sum of hit points. It can take a while to land and hit that deals damage. Once you do deal damage - thats where the fun begins. When you "ace" a die roll (e.g. roll a 6 on a d6), you roll again and add the result. These aces can keep going until you fail to roll the max. I watched a guy at GenCon do 30+ damage with a d4; now that's entertainment! :D

Remove ads