D&D 5E Save for falling damage?

Springheel

First Post
That's bizarre, but you're right. I guess it was a house rule we always used back when I used to play, and I just assumed it was in the rules? Either that or my memory is so bad I'm thinking of an entirely different system. Either is possible.

Falling damage is almost always save negates. As in: a pit trap opens beneath you, make a Dexterity save DC 15 or fall and take 5d6 damage. The save is to not fall.

If you willingly fall, you could reduce the damage by 1 die (also phrased as reducing the effective distance by 10 feet). I believe that's still in. In 3.x, you could use Tumble to reduce the damage by another die. I suppose you could allow an individual trained in Acrobatics a check in 5e to reduce the damage by another die.

Oofta

Legend
Falling damage is almost always save negates. As in: a pit trap opens beneath you, make a Dexterity save DC 15 or fall and take 5d6 damage. The save is to not fall.

If you willingly fall, you could reduce the damage by 1 die (also phrased as reducing the effective distance by 10 feet). I believe that's still in. In 3.x, you could use Tumble to reduce the damage by another die. I suppose you could allow an individual trained in Acrobatics a check in 5e to reduce the damage by another die.

There's a difference between the DC to avoid a trap and the DC to avoid falling if you are pushed, slide, whatever.

I'm not disagreeing - I posted my house rule on the first page - but there is no "save vs being shoved off the 100 ft cliff" in the rules.

MechaPilot

Explorer
There's a difference between the DC to avoid a trap and the DC to avoid falling if you are pushed, slide, whatever.

I'm not disagreeing - I posted my house rule on the first page - but there is no "save vs being shoved off the 100 ft cliff" in the rules.

Isn't there?

Isn't a shove a Strength (Athletics) contest between the shover and the shovee?

Oofta

Legend
Isn't there?

Isn't a shove a Strength (Athletics) contest between the shover and the shovee?

True. In most cases forcing someone to move where they don't want to requires a failed a contest (shove) or a saving throw (thunderwave). But there is no I'm about to be shoved off the edge of the cliff and I'm going to die save.

I give one to any creature about to be shoved off an edge because it makes sense to me. Well, that and it's a lot more dramatic to leave someone hanging onto the edge by their fingertips.

In 4e there was an explict save, but it makes sense because push, pull and slide was a major component of the game. I believe there was in 3.x as well (I want to say DC 20 Reflex). It wouldn't surprise me that there isn't one in 5e since they largely threw out the baby with the bathwater to rebuild the game, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
In 3e and 4e, reducing falling damage was a function of Tumbling or Acrobatics skill. I'm not sure how to rule that now that anyone can attempt any skill untrained very easily.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
In 3e and 4e, reducing falling damage was a function of Tumbling or Acrobatics skill. I'm not sure how to rule that now that anyone can attempt any skill untrained very easily.

Just let them roll and they get no proficiency bonus? I'm pretty sure that acrobatics has never been a proficiency of mine, but I stand a chance of landing well if I fall 10 feet.

Horwath

Legend
In 3.5e you could do Jump or tumble check DC 15 to reduce falling damage by 1d6, DC 25 for 2d6, 35 for 3d6 etc.

You could implement te same DC for Athletics or Acrobatics check. But because of bounded accuraccy you might reduce the increase of the DC of the check by 5 so,

DC 15, reduce falling damage by 1d6
DC 20, reduce by 2d6,
DC 25, reduce by 3d6,
etc...

Remove ads