D&D 5E Save for falling damage?

Springheel

First Post
I haven't noticed any saving throw for half damage from falls. Does this not exist in 5e or have I just missed it? Seems like that would be a good fit for acrobatics.

The description says the player lands prone unless they take no damage...how is it possible to take no damage from a fall?

I haven't noticed any saving throw for half damage from falls. Does this not exist in 5e or have I just missed it? Seems like that would be a good fit for acrobatics.

The description says the player lands prone unless they take no damage...how is it possible to take no damage from a fall?

Feather falling results in no damage.

The slow fall ability of the monk can reduce damage to 0.

For the most part though, unless you have a magical power there just isn't any way to overcome gravity.

The most obvious, to me, is that if it's a fall of less than 10', you don't take damage and therefore don't land prone. This is tactically significant because a 3' or 5' fall is a lot easier to arrange than a 10' fall. It also sometimes (last week, for me) has some significance for the DM when creating dungeon traps.

You could houserule something along the lines of: As an action you can try to deliberately control a fall that occurs as part of your movement. Roll Dex(Acrobatics). The effective fall distance is reduced by half of the total of your roll in feet.

Springheel

First Post
So it's not that I missed it, it really isn't there? Hasn't half damage from falls for a successful save been part of the game from the start? Anyone know why it was removed?

Al2O3

Explorer
A "save" for half damage would not be acrobatics, so it avoids some of that confusion. And I imagine a scenario would be Dex (Acrobatics) to balance on the tightrope, Dex save to catch the rope if you fall and then full damage when you hit the ground unless a spell or being a monk says otherwise.

Skickat från min Nexus 6 via Tapatalk

MarkB

Legend
So it's not that I missed it, it really isn't there? Hasn't half damage from falls for a successful save been part of the game from the start? Anyone know why it was removed?

I don't recall seeing it in the 5e preview versions. In 3.5e you could use a Jump or Tumble check to reduce falling damage and turn some into non-lethal damage, but only when deliberately jumping down, not when falling.

Oofta

Legend
There is no save vs falling in the rules. While it doesn't come up very often I use a house rule because it only made sense to me ... it should be difficult to push someone over a railing for example while pushing someone off the edge of a glacier should be easier.

My rule: If you want to push people off an edge, they get a dexterity saving throw. If there's a railing (waist high or lower) it's DC 5, if there is a low railing or similar obstruction DC10, something to grab onto DC 15, smooth/sheer edge DC 20, slippery edge DC 25.

If you succeed the saving throw by 10 points or more you can remain standing, if you succeed by less than 10 you are prone hanging onto the edge. Fail the save and you are pushed off.

[EDIT: clarified last sentence]

the Jester

Legend

There has never been a save for half damage from falls, unless it's in od&d or some weird version of D&D I have never played. But it isn't in BECMI, 1e, 2e, 3.anything, 4e, or 5e.

Dausuul

Legend
It has never been a part of the game, in any edition I'm aware of, and I've been playing since the start of 2E.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases