Scheduling Thread for the IRON DM 2020 Tournament!

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
I'm still good for the 26-27th. After that, I work almost 40 hours M-W next week, then free 31st-3rd. After the 3rd, my availability improves considerably.

Wicht

Hero
As we are waiting for Saturday before the next match begins, and as @Rune helpfully provides the links to those contests which have been saved over the years, I find myself going back and rereading many of the older contests.

And I must say, that there's some really good adventures in there for mining. Which makes me wonder, while we have time to kill, how many of the adventures crafted in this contest have ever seen actual use. I know that I used two of them from 2014 as convention one-shots (to good effect). And I seem to recall using a couple from the "lost years."

Anyone else ever get around to using any of the Iron DM scenarios in actual game play?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Anyone else ever get around to using any of the Iron DM scenarios in actual game play?
I know I did, but now I can't remember which. I think it was actually a mash-up of one of my own with elements from someone else's - but it was such a mash-up of bits and pieces the details elude me.

Having gone back and read some, I do want to make use of the "Diseased Paladin" one (from 2003, I think)

Rune

Once A Fool
As we are waiting for Saturday before the next match begins, and as @Rune helpfully provides the links to those contests which have been saved over the years, I find myself going back and rereading many of the older contests.

And I must say, that there's some really good adventures in there for mining. Which makes me wonder, while we have time to kill, how many of the adventures crafted in this contest have ever seen actual use. I know that I used two of them from 2014 as convention one-shots (to good effect). And I seem to recall using a couple from the "lost years."

Oh man. You want us to remember things now?

Let’s see...I definitely ran my second-ever entry, “The Dying Flame” as a one-shot in the early days of 5e. Converted on the fly. Ran well. Not a happy ending, if I recall.

I think I was going to run the one I wrote with a Shadow Dagon, “The Fishy God” (again, as a one-shot), but I believe that game fell through.

I’ve always wanted to run Wulf Ratbane’s untitled white tower entry from round 1 of Summer 2003. That’s the one with the whistling tower and the phase spiders. I don’t think I’ve ever done it, but I bet it would run pretty well in 5e.

I know I was planning/prepping to run @MortalPlague ’s “Beneath Ratter’s Dell” once, but I think that game fell through, too. (Man, my friends are flakey. It’s a wonder I was able to recently complete a 1-20 campaign with some of them.)

Anybody else? Probably. But I just discovered that none of the links in the Iron DM Anthology work any more, so I’ve gotta go through and fix all of those. That’s a bit distracting.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I recently ran "Bakra's Bond," which I wrote for the Iron DM 2009 competition. The players really enjoyed it, and the Cooyah have become a recurring NPC in the campaign.

Boy, re-reading our adventures from nearly a decade ago really hit me with nostalgia. I do miss the "old days," back before there was a word limit. It was nice having a larger pot to cook all of those ingredients in, so to speak.

Last edited:

Remove ads