• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer

Sci-Fi gamers: what's the RPG you use / prefer for sci-fi?

• D20 Modern + D20 Future line

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • Sci-fi d20 (OGL Cybernet, Blood & Space, etc.)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Darwin World or other d20 Post Apocalyptic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Star Wars d20

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • D&D in space (Dragonstar, Bulldogs!, etc.)

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • True20

• Mutants & Masterminds

• Traveller d20

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Traveller (classic / mega)

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Savage Worlds

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • GURPS

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dream Pod 9

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other

Votes: 48 38.1%

Psion

Adventurer
Pbartender said:
Spycraft 2.0...

...IN SPA-A-A-A-A-A-A-ACE!

I approve this message. Or at least I will once Farthest Star and Shatterpunk come out.

Traveller d20 has by my first choice of late for Sci-Fi pickup games. Chargen is a bit complex, but I like the way it models characters and love the way it does ship combat. Freakin' love it. All games should to ship combat this way.

And it's Traveller. :)

D20 future and the Blood & Space line are good options too, and there are some good games you could to with it.

MegaTraveller is my workhorse of old, and I'd happily pull it out if the occasion called for it.

Alternity isn't a bad ruleset and I have many of the books for it, but CarlZog is about the only other person on earth to show any interest in it. ;)

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
I put others because I have a lot of systems that I like to use...

Right now I am running a Fading Suns game using True20. I am not super happy with the VP system nor the d20 system they put out, but True20 works out GREAT!

I have run also using D20 Modern and D20 Future that was a lot of fun. I have, but have not run (and really want to run) a Starship Troopers OGL game someday in the future.

I have also played and ran a short game in Dream Pod 9: Heavy Gear system (but in our own "world") that was pretty cool.

And then some years ago I ran two seperate Rifts games using GURPS 3rd that were GREAT but also deadly. If and when I ever pick up 4th ed of the game, the first thing I am thinking about converting would be Rifts again :D

Ilium

First Post
I ran a GURPS Star Trek campaign for a long time. Probably 10 years off and on. It worked great and I even cobbled together a space combat system that combined elements of SFB with GURPS skill checks for all the bridge crew.

harmyn

First Post
I use Star Wars d6 (2nd ed) for Star Wars (the main space game my groups have played). If not that I now use a variant I came up with for d6 Space or I will go with GURPS.

Khairn

First Post
Spacemaster by ICE is an outstanding sci-fi system and setting. When you include Armored Assault and Star Strike it becomes even better.

2nd place after Spacemaster would be Traveller or Space Opera ... although SO did need alot of work to make it playable.

Remove ads